The Student Room Group

Disclosing sensitive information when applying for a PG course

Hi,

Thank you for reading my post. Here is my issue, I will try to keep things brief:

I went to a good non-Russell university for my UG and I did really well. I got every academic prize there was and was first in a very large department for three consecutive years. I then joined a top university in the UK to do my master's and in that year, I was subject to a traumatic and violent act that led me to a terrible depression.

I wasn't well at all, I didn't attend any classes or lectures and I could barely get out of bed for my exams. I then decided to submit a medical allowance to come back and re-sit my exams when I am well. The university understood that my circumstances were legit and they gave me the opportunity to come back the following year.

I finished my degree, I did pretty well despite my mental health which is better than in the first year but is still in the process of recovery. I have now applied for a PhD at another institution, and at first I didn't disclose my first master's attempt but then I realized that my application might get withdrawn if they deemed that I omitted relevant information. So I got back in touch with them and explained the situation, I also provided a medical certificate.

I am now worried that this university that I am applying to will view me as a problematic student and not want to take me in or not want to consider me for funding. I am also uncomfortable with the department and my supervisor knowing about what happened to me and I did explain to the central admissions that I did not feel comfortable with these details being shared and that they should probably keep it general with the department.

No one responded to that message and my application portal now includes my medical certificate. Will the university and the department still consider me fairly?
Reply 1
I am sure they will still consider your application fairly, as they are required to do that regardless of student's circumstances. Moreover, I think they will better understand your extenuating circumstances and your results will show how much you accomplished despite your problems!

On the side note I wish you to recover as soon as possible and get into a phd of your dreams!
Reply 2
Original post by kwtkwsk
I am sure they will still consider your application fairly, as they are required to do that regardless of student's circumstances. Moreover, I think they will better understand your extenuating circumstances and your results will show how much you accomplished despite your problems!

On the side note I wish you to recover as soon as possible and get into a phd of your dreams!

Thank you so much. I hope it will be a positive outcome too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending