The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex drop in league table

Why did Sussex fall so far in the league tables in one year? Is this a trend that is likely to continue. I ask as I’m keen to look at Sussex for Psychology with neuroscience. Thanks, Martin
The league tables are constantly shifting and there really is no way to predict the future as it all depends on external factors out of your control, unfortunately...

I see it has dropped by 8 on the complete guide which is definitely pretty big... I think this year especially is based on how some universities have reacted to the pandemic, it might be that Sussex didn't do as much as students demanded and this has reflected in their rankings? Overall I don't believe this year's rankings are a good representation of the university's overall performance but I guess that could be up for debate.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Jonathanツ
The league tables are constantly shifting and there really is no way to predict the future as it all depends on external factors out of your control, unfortunately...

I see it has dropped by 8 on the complete guide which is definitely pretty big... I think this year especially is based on how some universities have reacted to the pandemic, it might be that Sussex didn't do as much as students demanded and this has reflected in their rankings? Overall I don't believe this year's rankings are a good representation of the university's overall performance but I guess that could be up for debate.

Thank you Jonathan; appreciate what you say just wondered what the uni might be doing to arrest the fall as I understand it’s been declining for the last few years. It’s in such a beautiful location though really want to give it a fair chance
Original post by MpJaff
Thank you Jonathan; appreciate what you say just wondered what the uni might be doing to arrest the fall as I understand it’s been declining for the last few years. It’s in such a beautiful location though really want to give it a fair chance

League tables are not everything and most studies show that they are almost entirely irrelivent

If you like the university and really feel the vibe then stuf the tables and just go for it
I wouldn't base your decision off of league tables as they are incredibly unreliable after about the top 10. Maybe look at its employability or what people say about its teaching (whatever you care about most really) as opposed to league tables. As already pointed out - I think some league tables are using how each uni has responded to the pandemic as a measure. They use stupid measures like student satisfaction sometimes to position the unis anyway. Thats why the guardian league table is so skewed.
Reply 5
Original post by something_orphic
I wouldn't base your decision off of league tables as they are incredibly unreliable after about the top 10. Maybe look at its employability or what people say about its teaching (whatever you care about most really) as opposed to league tables. As already pointed out - I think some league tables are using how each uni has responded to the pandemic as a measure. They use stupid measures like student satisfaction sometimes to position the unis anyway. Thats why the guardian league table is so skewed.

Thank you; sound advice. Just wondered if they’d been talk within the Uni and what plans they had as I see lots of things posted about the new Student centre that looks very good
don't listen to the rankings
Original post by MpJaff
Why did Sussex fall so far in the league tables in one year? Is this a trend that is likely to continue. I ask as I’m keen to look at Sussex for Psychology with neuroscience. Thanks, Martin

Hey @MpJaff,

I understand that university rankings play an important role in choosing which university to go to.

I have found that focusing on the course content and whether the course is properly accredited is more important than looking at the overall rankings, as the rankings can fluctuate a lot and there are numerous factors that come into play.

You may be disappointed if you choose a university sorely off of university rankings, and find out later that the rankings have gone down when you graduate. I would advise you to look at the course content and choose a university where you will enjoy spending 3+ years of your time. If you are enjoying university life, you will probably perform better in return as you are more motivated.

The University of Sussex is 8th in the UK for Psychology (Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021).
For more information about the course, please visit Psychology with Neuroscience BSc (Hons).

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know!

Kind Regards,
Erica
(3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)
I've nearly finished my first year of psychology with neuroscience at Sussex, and I've been really impressed with the quality of online teaching. All of the lecturers have tried really hard to engage with us and I've really enjoyed all my modules this year, so don't listen to the league tables too much - if you like the course and the uni then the rankings which change every year anyway shouldn't matter.
Reply 9
Original post by natalie_123
I've nearly finished my first year of psychology with neuroscience at Sussex, and I've been really impressed with the quality of online teaching. All of the lecturers have tried really hard to engage with us and I've really enjoyed all my modules this year, so don't listen to the league tables too much - if you like the course and the uni then the rankings which change every year anyway shouldn't matter.

Thank you Natalie, that’s really reassuring 👍
Ranking aside, I applied to Sussex but my make or break or university choice was COVID-19 response. I heard that Sussex students received very little support and students are feeling very isolated to which there does not seem to be anyone who cares.
Reply 11
Original post by larahe06
Ranking aside, I applied to Sussex but my make or break or university choice was COVID-19 response. I heard that Sussex students received very little support and students are feeling very isolated to which there does not seem to be anyone who cares.

Hi Larahe, I have read similar but hopefully things are getting better now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending