The Student Room Group

PG study help

Hey all, I'm so sorry for this probably slightly ignorant post but recently I have started thinking about a masters. I was just wondering about the workload this involves (I would need to work as well). I feel a bit stupid but in my mind it seems you write a few essays etc but that is obviously not the case with an advanced PG degree!!
Does the university you get a masters from matter in terms of prestige- some unis offer the same course for example?
Also, a diploma- they are shorter in duration but not as high level as a masters- is that right?
So sorry for these questions! entering world of PG education... and I would really appreciate any help!
Reply 1
Original post by 123username
Hey all, I'm so sorry for this probably slightly ignorant post but recently I have started thinking about a masters. I was just wondering about the workload this involves (I would need to work as well). I feel a bit stupid but in my mind it seems you write a few essays etc but that is obviously not the case with an advanced PG degree!!
Does the university you get a masters from matter in terms of prestige- some unis offer the same course for example?
Also, a diploma- they are shorter in duration but not as high level as a masters- is that right?
So sorry for these questions! entering world of PG education... and I would really appreciate any help!

Hey, i did a taught MSc at Newcastle Uni 2 years ago, the workload was manageable, i had a part-time sales job on the side. I guess it depends on your work-ethic, if you're able to stick to deadlines and not get lazy. But if you got a 2:1/1st at undergrad, i think it's manageable. The only difference from a PGDip and an MSc or MA is the dissertation involved. there isn't a 60 credit self research dissertation, but if you like research, the project can be quite fun to write ! As you get to write and choose your area. MSc courses have more taught modules whereas MA courses are more research based, self study courses. I did prefer the taught course as there was more interaction with students and staff.

I don't recommend doing a similar course, but try to find a course that interests you (i did renewable energy and was passionate, so it was quite intriguing studying something i was passionate about), and also something that can complement your undergrad and you can utilise both for potential future jobs.

I do think the prestige matters, top 20 is seen better, but focus on the achievements of the faculty you'll be at rather than the uni itself. Overall, find a course that interests you, and can afford financially, most prestige courses are expensive because of the name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending