The Student Room Group

International Student- Meeting the conditions

Hi! I've gotten a conditional offer from UCL PGCE Primary this year, and I'm a prospective student expecting to start the course in 09/2021.

I live in South Korea, and I haven't graduated yet(I am graduating on 17/08/2021), since the official semester ends in Mid- August. So one of my conditions is to provide my Graduate Status, so they could issue a CAS for me to get a visa.

However, UCL said they can't issue a CAS to me before the 17th of August(my graduation date), because I can't prove that I 'have graduated' until then.
Our university Administrative Team can't issue anything saying that I 'have graduated' until the 17th of August, because it is said they can't provide anything saying a student has 'graduated' before the Graduation Ceremony by university administrative law. Before then, they can only issue documents proving that I 'will graduate' on that date, and I've met all the requirements for graduation.
UCL is telling me they can't issue me a CAS with an Expected Graduate Certificate, or a letter from our university confirming I have met all the graduation requirements. They only want a certificate with my final award in it, so they're basically saying that I have to reapply next year if I can't get a visa before 1st of September. (And I can't reapply since this year is my last chance to study abroad)

Are there any international/ overseas PGCE students who has overcome such problems like me, and could you please tell how you did so?
It's that the semester in Korea ends in Mid-August, and it's not that I will not graduate this year. Honestly this situation is so frustrating, and I literally have no idea what I should do.

I am desperate and this is my last chance to get to teach primary school students. I really need to make this work, and currently the situation is so devastating, having both universities saying no to my situation.
Please help, could you give me any advice on what I should do?

Thanks,
Original post by Jo_Jo_
Hi! I've gotten a conditional offer from UCL PGCE Primary this year, and I'm a prospective student expecting to start the course in 09/2021.

I live in South Korea, and I haven't graduated yet(I am graduating on 17/08/2021), since the official semester ends in Mid- August. So one of my conditions is to provide my Graduate Status, so they could issue a CAS for me to get a visa.

However, UCL said they can't issue a CAS to me before the 17th of August(my graduation date), because I can't prove that I 'have graduated' until then.
Our university Administrative Team can't issue anything saying that I 'have graduated' until the 17th of August, because it is said they can't provide anything saying a student has 'graduated' before the Graduation Ceremony by university administrative law. Before then, they can only issue documents proving that I 'will graduate' on that date, and I've met all the requirements for graduation.
UCL is telling me they can't issue me a CAS with an Expected Graduate Certificate, or a letter from our university confirming I have met all the graduation requirements. They only want a certificate with my final award in it, so they're basically saying that I have to reapply next year if I can't get a visa before 1st of September. (And I can't reapply since this year is my last chance to study abroad)

Are there any international/ overseas PGCE students who has overcome such problems like me, and could you please tell how you did so?
It's that the semester in Korea ends in Mid-August, and it's not that I will not graduate this year. Honestly this situation is so frustrating, and I literally have no idea what I should do.

I am desperate and this is my last chance to get to teach primary school students. I really need to make this work, and currently the situation is so devastating, having both universities saying no to my situation.

Thanks,

That sounds like an incredibly tough situation!
Im sorry I can’t be of much help but you could try these contacts I found on UCLs website.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international/south-korea
Original post by Jo_Jo_

Thanks,

I'm afraid this is a rare situation when overseas academic periods don't align with the UK academic year, and the situation has been exacerbated by the delays some unis have allowed due to Covid. There's no way round it for the receiving university - they can't accept students, or wont accept students that haven't fulfilled the academic conditions of their offer, by a certain cut-off date.

It seems like UCL aren't able to budge, so your best bet is to look at why this is 'the last year' you can complete this course and see if that parameter can change.
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm afraid this is a rare situation when overseas academic periods don't align with the UK academic year, and the situation has been exacerbated by the delays some unis have allowed due to Covid. There's no way round it for the receiving university - they can't accept students, or wont accept students that haven't fulfilled the academic conditions of their offer, by a certain cut-off date.

It seems like UCL aren't able to budge, so your best bet is to look at why this is 'the last year' you can complete this course and see if that parameter can change.

Would asking for deferred entry work maybe ?
Original post by DogeTheDoggo
Would asking for deferred entry work maybe ?

Depends on whether they allow that. Some of the most competitive unis with a global recruitment pool don’t allow deferrals except in exceptional individual circs like an urgent medical issue. I’m not sure where UCL stand on that.
It's normal for a uni to ask for you to fulfil your offer conditions and be unconditional before they issue a CAS, (they pay a fee for issuing a capped number of them, and there are also strict targets for students no-showing after being issued one).

The only exception to this scenario is that Indian offer holders sometimes get a provisional certificate which can sometimes be accepted, but they are in a postion where they may not get a degree certificate for years.

You can speak to UCL further about your circumstances, but I think it's unlikely they will budge.

Have you investigated timescales for a fast-track visa application?
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
It's normal for a uni to ask for you to fulfil your offer conditions and be unconditional before they issue a CAS, (they pay a fee for issuing a capped number of them, and there are also strict targets for students no-showing after being issued one).

The only exception to this scenario is that Indian offer holders sometimes get a provisional certificate which can sometimes be accepted, but they are in a postion where they may not get a degree certificate for years.

You can speak to UCL further about your circumstances, but I think it's unlikely they will budge.

Have you investigated timescales for a fast-track visa application?

Yes, apparently I have searched for priority visas, which will have all my documents put in the first queue during the visa process.
Unfortunately due to Covid19, the visa office is only working twice a week, which is making things worse.
Hence I'm not sure if I would be able to get a visa appointment at the right time even if I submit my documents after I graduate.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift

Yeah, I know I am a rare case for the UCL admissions teams too. I never thought the course in UCL would start this early, and atst I never thought my university won't issue anything regarding to my graduate status before graduation.
All document issuing periods have been tangled and I'm just on the edge of giving up my course rn.

++ It's my personal funding issue that I won't be able to attend to this course next year, but thanks for the reply!
Original post by Jo_Jo_
Yes, apparently I have searched for priority visas, which will have all my documents put in the first queue during the visa process.
Unfortunately due to Covid19, the visa office is only working twice a week, which is making things worse.
Hence I'm not sure if I would be able to get a visa appointment at the right time even if I submit my documents after I graduate.

That’s a shame, I can see that you’re exhausting all your options due to the dates involved.

The only other thing I can think to suggest is to check with UCL what would be your latest start date. With taught programmes these tend to be fairly inflexible, but potentially there might be a small amount of wiggle room which might make this year doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending