The Student Room Group

Is there a huge difference between Leeds and Reading in terms of prestigiously?

Hi guys, so I'm thinking of doing MSc food technology (or science) and I'm torn between Leeds and Reading. Honestly I'd really want to pursue my masters in Reading mostly because it has a much better course structure (it's mostly assessment based whereas the course in Leeds is mostly exam based which kinda throws me off) and also the fact that I'm familiar with Reading as i'm currently undergrad here.

However, I'm a bit worried with the fact that most people would regard Leeds to be more prestigious than Reading as it's part of the RG and ranks higher than Reading in most league table. Is this difference significant enough to affect my employability both within the UK and internationally?

Thanks!
Yes, it will hurt employability.
Reply 2
Original post by Spennyboi
Yes, it will hurt employability.

Do you think it'll affect employability by much though? Also food science is the department Reading is famous for
Original post by yesayas
Do you think it'll affect employability by much though? Also food science is the department Reading is famous for

I dont know anything about their food science departments or the specific career prospects of that field. But broadly speaking there is quite a disparity between those two unis. Try do some research into where successful graduates in your field come from.
You mention the differences in assessments and that Leeds being exam based throws you off. What is the difference in your scores for exams compared to assignments? I ask because if there is a significant difference (some people just cannot perform in an exam) then play to your strengths. If it could be the difference between a Pass and a Distinction then the best investment is going to be the best grade.
Reply 5
Original post by one_two_three
You mention the differences in assessments and that Leeds being exam based throws you off. What is the difference in your scores for exams compared to assignments? I ask because if there is a significant difference (some people just cannot perform in an exam) then play to your strengths. If it could be the difference between a Pass and a Distinction then the best investment is going to be the best grade.

Well so far for assignments (lab report, scientific paper, etc.) i'm getting mostly firsts and some 2.1s so I'm confident that I'm strong in that. Exam wise, well I got firsts in first year mostly because it was all MCQ (timed) and open book (covid). It's open book this year (second) as well so it felt like it was a breeze. The thing is that, those are open book exams and I'm really not sure how i'll do if the exams were to be closed book, which obviously will be the format at Leeds. I did my A levels 2 years ago (closed book) and didn't to well (CDD) and so I retook and got decent grades (BBC), enough to scrape my way to entering Reading. The thing is that, I worked extremely hard just to get BBC so I was kinda convinced that exam-based work isn't really for me, but then again that was 2 years ago.
I feel like for uni exams, I'll most probably get a 2.1 but it'll be 3x more stressful and there's the chance of me forgetting stuff and end up flopping the exam (plus I work poorly under pressure), whereas for assignments, I'd say I can get slightly better grades on (2.1 - first), and to add on that, I personally enjoy doing assignments / essays. Basically Reading will be safer for my grades and it'll save me a lot of stress.
No one should give up Reading Food Technology for anywhere else. Most of the modern food tech industry trained at Reading. This is one of those subjects where the RG means nothing. Reading is the Oxbridge of food tech
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
No one should give up Reading Food Technology for anywhere else. Most of the modern food tech industry trained at Reading. This is one of those subjects where the RG means nothing. Reading is the Oxbridge of food tech

Thank you! this is exactly what I wanna hear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending