The Student Room Group

Interview for Masters

Please can someone help on kind of questions asked in interview at UAL for postgraduate theory based courses?
Why do you want to do this course?
What have you done in previous study that led you to this course?
Why this University?
Original post by Jainadity
Please can someone help on kind of questions asked in interview at UAL for postgraduate theory based courses?

Hi @Jainadity,

Postgraduate interviews are surprisingly similar to undergraduate ones in a lot of ways.

As @McGinger has said, you can probably expect to be asked about why you want to study the course (or why you want to study at postgraduate level more generally - what sort of career/study goals do you have long-term) and why you've chosen that particular course at that particular university. You might also be asked about your undergraduate programme - what did you enjoy about it, what did you find challenging, what did you learn, how did you develop etc - and how that has prepared you for a postgraduate programme.

For a theoretical course, there may also be some questions to confirm that you've developed sufficient theory and methodological knowledge during your undergraduate programme. Without knowing more about your intended field of study, it's difficult to provide a specific example but in my field (English Literature) I might expect to be asked about the schools of literary criticism I work within, or about an author/literary period/body of work/body of criticism that I think is particularly relevant to my research interests.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending