The Student Room Group

Am I ever going to get a job? A good job...

Hi,

So for background I'm currently working as a barman in a local bar and have experience in retail across various businesses and many years. However, having recently completed my master's in MSc Digital Marketing, pending the actual ceremony in November I'm struggling to see the benefit of this qualification.

I'd applied for many roles I see my skills and experiences and am qualified in, most through the job site, Eg) NIJobs and more than 2 months from my publishing of this I hadn't heard a response from most of them.

I've had 3 interviews however in the recent/somewhat recent period and today received my third rejection - the last of which I had to complete a task post interview, however which the interviewer has now decided to re-advertise and split the role based of their original advertisement, so I assume nobody who completed the secondary task was offered the role?

What more can I do?

I'm too old now (24) to be doing voluntary, unpaid work, so I'm not even considering that unless it's for a cause I care for so literally what else can I do?

I didn't even get a loan for my master's since 'technically' it was a different country (ROIRL) I did my master's in, but I'm just feeling so disheartened now?

Thanks.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by derryboy98
Hi,

So for background I'm currently working as a barman in a local bar and have experience in retail across various businesses and many years. However, having recently completed my master's in MSc Digital Marketing, pending the actual ceremony in November I'm struggling to see the benefit of this qualification.

I'd applied for many roles I see my skills and experiences and am qualified in, most through the job site, Eg) NIJobs and more than 2 months from my publishing of this I hadn't heard a response from most of them.

I've had 3 interviews however in the recent/somewhat recent period and today received my third rejection - the last of which I had to complete a task post interview, however which the interviewer has now decided to re-advertise and split the role based of their original advertisement, so I assume nobody who completed the secondary task was offered the role?

What more can I do?

I'm too old now (24) to be doing voluntary, unpaid work, so I'm not even considering that unless it's for a cause I care for so literally what else can I do?

I didn't even get a loan for my master's since 'technically' it was a different country (ROIRL) I did my master's in, but I'm just feeling so disheartened now?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. It sounds like a mixture of interview skills and relevant experience. Getting a masters is great only if it is needed for a specific role, not to potentially plug a hole in practical experience. Id be interested to know why you did it, and also what roles you are actually going for also.

You do have years of experience but is this relevant to the roles you are going for, and how are you selling what you have taken from each role. It sounds like there could be a missmatch between your cv and your expectations of role.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
Sorry to hear about your struggles. It sounds like a mixture of interview skills and relevant experience. Getting a masters is great only if it is needed for a specific role, not to potentially plug a hole in practical experience. Id be interested to know why you did it, and also what roles you are actually going for also.

You do have years of experience but is this relevant to the roles you are going for, and how are you selling what you have taken from each role. It sounds like there could be a missmatch between your cv and your expectations of role.

Take care,

Greg

I do have a year of voluntary experience as a 'copy/article writer' as well as an assistant project officer which have been included in my CV alongside my paid work. As such I don't necessarily agree with your point to mismatch with my cv to job expectations.
Reply 3
Original post by derryboy98
I do have a year of voluntary experience as a 'copy/article writer' as well as an assistant project officer which have been included in my CV alongside my paid work. As such I don't necessarily agree with your point to mismatch with my cv to job expectations.

What roles are you applying for though? Ill admit i took a leap from your OP but there was not a lot of actual details. Is it marketing related?

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending