random18
In a similar position,

LSE- Economics
UCL- Economics
Nottingham- Economics
Warwick- Economics
LSE- Social Policy & Economics

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2A
A level pred.: Maths (A), Psychology (A), Economics (A) attained already, Critical Thinking (A)

Any opinions much appreciated...

I was particularly wondering if Social Policy & Economics is a rubbish course and not respected, since it only has ABB offer? Also, although my grades are good, is it too risky applying to all top universities like these? :s-smilie:
Reply 21
random18
In a similar position [...] Any opinions much appreciated...

Well your grades are excellent. You should be fine.
Reply 22
llibnis
Hello! i've just join so i'm a bit new to all of this.
Are my University choices realistic?
I'm hoping to study either economics or economics and maths at uni.
AS Grades: Mathematics (A), Economics and Business (A), History (B)
Predicted grades (for A2): Mathematics (A), Economics and Business (A), History (B)
GCSE Grades: 6A*, 3A, 2B
LSE - Maths and Economics
LSE - Economics
UCL - Economics
Royal Holloway - Ecomomics and Maths
Queen Mary's - Economics
I've completed my Personal Statement but haven't sent off my UCAS application yet. Please Help. Thanks.
PS: I don't study further maths. Will this disadvantage me?

what the hell is Economics and Business?!!
random18
what the hell is Economics and Business?!!

I'd imagine that it's the study of economics and business. It could include some study of haute cuisine though, I'm not sure. :cool:
Reply 24
jismith1989
I'd imagine that it's the study of economics and business. It could include some study of agricultural land types though, I'm not sure. :cool:

lol hillarious. Your quite the budding comedian aren't you. :rolleyes:
I mean I've never heard of that as an A level subject. You study either Economics, or Business Studies. And the combination in itself is blacklisted at LSE, so im lost :s-smilie: ?!
Reply 25
Edexcel Nuffield: Economics and Business
I really wanted to study economics but my state school only offerred this course
Reply 26
random18
And the combination in itself is blacklisted at LSE, so im lost :s-smilie: ?!

Is it blacklisted at UCL?
OP was fishing for compliments, it went disastrously wrong.
Reply 28
llibnis
Is it blacklisted at UCL?

First time I've heard of that course!
Then get your referee to mention this on your application and it wont matter.
But yes I should imagine it's blacklisted at most top universities. Wont count against you if you didn't have an option though.
Reply 29
Ekpyrotic
OP was fishing for compliments, it went disastrously wrong.

LOL :yep:

OP- no point in applying to UCL or LSE if you aren't predicted 3 As, you won't get a look in. Many people with 3 As will be rejected, so it stands to reason that someone with AAB with be overlooked probably.
Reply 30
think i'm goiing to stay in sixth form for another year, improve my history module grades and study further maths.
Reply 31
random18
I was particularly wondering if Social Policy & Economics is a rubbish course and not respected, since it only has ABB offer? Also, although my grades are good, is it too risky applying to all top universities like these? :s-smilie:

I'd be VERY careful about applying to those unis...you may have a chance with 8 A*s, but it's a tad risky imho.
random18
In a similar position,

LSE- Economics
UCL- Economics
Nottingham- Economics
Warwick- Economics
LSE- Social Policy & Economics

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2A
A level pred.: Maths (A), Psychology (A), Economics (A) attained already, Critical Thinking (A)

Any opinions much appreciated...

Why wouldn't you get in with those grades?

& to the OP, why not just check out the requirements from the university websites? Coming on here and hearing 'well my mate got in with aab', 'mine got rejected with aaaaaaaa' isn't going to help you at all, as different people have different experiences. The best place to get this kind of information from is the university you want to apply for.
Reply 33
thisisyesterday
Why wouldn't you get in with those grades?

I suspect they are fishing for compliments.

:reel:
LH123
I suspect they are fishing for compliments.

:reel:

I can't say I was impressed. Any air-head with a good memory and articulate, eloquent essay-writing skills can get good grades at A-level in my opinion.
Reply 35
thisisyesterday
I can't say I was impressed. Any air-head with a good memory and articulate, eloquent essay-writing skills can get good grades at A-level in my opinion.

And you shouldn't be rewarded for being able to write in both a balanced and coherent way?
LH123
And you shouldn't be rewarded for being able to write in both a balanced and coherent way?

I didn't say that at all. The point I was trying to make was that their attempts at 'fishing for compliments' were futile...from me anyway. I don't think that a-level exams are difficult, as you don't have to 'think' as such. The questions are easily predicted, and generally, the text-books tell you all you need to know. Yes, coherent essay skills are necessary, and should be credited, but I also feel that if people were forced to use their own brains in said exams, most wouldn't sail through quite so easily..So to address your point, yes you should be rewarded, but the question is to what extent?

In short, I don't care what they got at AS, and what they're predicted for A2 or whatever. Because I don't see it as a big deal. So if they were fishing for compliments, they're not going to get any from me..

Just my personal opinion, going on my own experience and the experiences of those I know. :smile:
Reply 37
llibnis
Hello! i've just join so i'm a bit new to all of this.
Are my University choices realistic?
I'm hoping to study either economics or economics and maths at uni.
AS Grades: Mathematics (A), Economics and Business (A), History (B), English lit b
Predicted grades (for A2): Mathematics (A), Economics and Business (A), History (B)
GCSE Grades: 6A*, 3A, 2B
LSE - Maths and Economics
LSE - Economics
UCL - Economics
Royal Holloway - Ecomomics and Maths
Queen Mary's - Economics
I've completed my Personal Statement but haven't sent off my UCAS application yet. Please Help. Thanks.
PS: I don't study further maths. Will this disadvantage me?

Check out my sig threads.

Issues:
i)only 4 AS-levels aabb
ii)Only 3 A-levels.predicted AAB
iii)econ+Bus
iv)b and B at History
v)No FM

Strengths
i)Crap school?
ii)6 GCSE A*s
iii)a/A at Maths
iv)Got Econ (sort of).

So I would not be surprised for you to get offers at the AAB.2 level. So maybe go for:
1/2 AAB.1
2 AAB.2
1/2 ABB.1/2

llibnis
this is so difficult. i dont' know any other universities in London that offer such good teaching like LSE or UCL

I really can't see LSE/UCL making you an offer. sorry. So you have a decision to make: stay in london or go to a uni which is good for econ. (If you have a medical reason for needing to stay at home then that is different. But even then check out the disability forum and your support options).

Read my posts in my sig threads and think about the 2/3 hour. Think about why you like London. Try and find the best substitutes. So if you like Big cities look at for example Birmingham, Manchester,Bristol.
Reply 38
Issues:
i)only 3 AS-levels aab

Sorry forgot to mention that i have a B in English Literature (AS)
Thanks for your reply Paulwhy, i'll try your sig threads

PS: If you are in the same position as me, what would your 5 choices be?
(Close to London)
Reply 39
llibnis
PS: If you are in the same position as me, what would your 5 choices be?
(Close to London)

Well My first choice would be to try and understand my own feelings.
i.e. why do I want to be close to London?
What qualities does London have that I like?
Can I find them elsewhere?

Latest

Trending

Trending