The Student Room Group

Crying about not achieving my goals

I spent the night crying about not achieving my target goal for having a permanent position by the 1st July. I updated my CV and this led to two interviews for the end of June, but I got rejected by both.

I also set a goal about going on at least one date in June and although I was on a dating app most of the guys just focus on my looks and wanting sexual advances but not me.

I feel down because I’ve achieved all my other goals except these two, particularly the job. I’m proud of everything I’ve achieved in last 1.5 years (became an expert at budgeting save the most money on my lowest income) but I’m tired I feel like I’ve given all I got. I’m not where I would like to in life. The saddest part is I always try even when I was extremely shy.
Job hunting especially in the current job market is really hard and you have to be resilient. You will get there!
Go back to your rejections, thank them for the time, ask for feedback and say if a similar job comes in the future you would still be interested (in case whoever they hired doesn't work out)
Feel free to post your cv on here (don't include personal info) and I would be happy to check it out. And if you have questions about some tricky things in your interview perhaps we could troubleshoot that for you as well!
Also dating is really hard because normal places where you would meet someone are shut or socially distanced and honestly apps confuse me! I think you have to be resilient there and someone will come along, you can't force it really.
And I know I've said be resilient a bunch of times and it's easier said than done, but I think that's the only option. Keep looking and applying! Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Roasted Potato
Job hunting especially in the current job market is really hard and you have to be resilient. You will get there!
Go back to your rejections, thank them for the time, ask for feedback and say if a similar job comes in the future you would still be interested (in case whoever they hired doesn't work out)
Feel free to post your cv on here (don't include personal info) and I would be happy to check it out. And if you have questions about some tricky things in your interview perhaps we could troubleshoot that for you as well!
Also dating is really hard because normal places where you would meet someone are shut or socially distanced and honestly apps confuse me! I think you have to be resilient there and someone will come along, you can't force it really.
And I know I've said be resilient a bunch of times and it's easier said than done, but I think that's the only option. Keep looking and applying! Good luck

Thank you! I try to be resilient but sometimes it’s hard. I couldn’t sleep and it’s the first time in my life all my goals are balance and I’m not just focusing on work related goals. For example: my job is fixed term in local government and because I lived in the borough that helped me to get the job. But I’m thinking about moving to an area completely different area like south London/Surrey, because during uni it had that balanced that I liked (I can tell you the GP practice and dental surgery I’m looking to move to as well). If I was to move the location of my current employer will be extremely far because it’s in east London and my work requires to hybrid working. In a way I feel stuck, it’s like some of my goals depend on my employment type and location.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! I try to be resilient but sometimes it’s hard. I couldn’t sleep and it’s the first time in my life all my goals are balance and I’m not just focusing on work related goals. For example: my job is fixed term in local government and because I lived in the borough that helped me to get the job. But I’m thinking about moving to an area completely different area like south London/Surrey, because during uni it had that balanced that I liked (I can tell you the GP practice and dental surgery I’m looking to move to as well). If I was to move the location of my current employer will be extremely far because it’s in east London and my work requires to hybrid working. In a way I feel stuck, it’s like some of my goals depend on my employment type and location.

I mean it doesn't sound unfeesible for you to move and continue the job search! You sound very prepared to move!
I think most people move to where their employer is and try to search for an employer where they live. It doesn't always work out especially early on in a career, but it has to be possible because people do it.
And resiliency is a skill you learn and nothing worthwhile learning is easy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending