The Student Room Group

How to loose weight

Hi so I’ve tried calorie counting, slimming world, weight watchers but I always fall off the rails and put what I’ve lost back on plus a little extra.

Any advice?

I also constantly fight the urge to bringe eat or not eat at all a lot. Which dosent help.
Reply 1
Firstly realise that there is no rush to lose weight, it's going to take a while of being consistant and finding a way that is sustainable. How does one go about doing that ? Personally I think that if you spend the next few weeks monitoring your food intake (just note down what you eat and when and drinks too), measure your weight weekly (at the same time of day on the same day of the week wearing clothes that are similar in weight each time you do so.)
See wether or not your weight is staying the same, coming off or going up.

If it is already coming off obviously you don't need to do anything rather than just be patient. However if it;s any of the other 2 and you want to lose weight then take a look at what you have been eating and drinking, see if there is 1 small change you can make and give it a few weeks then repeat this process.

What kind of changes could you make ? Say if for instance you find yourself eating fried food a lot (ie. several times a week (read 2 or more)) then perhaps see if you could replace 1 of those fried food meals with something oven baked.

The most important things are to get yourself to a place where you are eating enough each meal time to keep you satiated (feeling full), and the easiest way to achieve this is to eat a diet that's rich in nutrients (protein. fibre , healthy fats) whilst not neglecting vitamins and minerals usually a good mix of frutis and vegetables will do this.
You could try structured eating, setting yourself times where you eat certain things, ie (breakfast @6am, snack@10am, lunch at 1pm, snack @4pm, evening meal @8pm) or whatever times suits you.
Original post by Izziebell1508
Hi so I’ve tried calorie counting, slimming world, weight watchers but I always fall off the rails and put what I’ve lost back on plus a little extra.

Any advice?

I also constantly fight the urge to bringe eat or not eat at all a lot. Which dosent help.

Take it slow. There is no 'quick fix' that is effective in the long term. Try making small adjustments that you can sustain. Plan for the long term and be satisfied with any improvements. Sometimes your mental health can affect this too so l would say that you should learn to LIKE who you are and LOVE who you could be, if you get what I mean. That ought to help you stay motivated.
I would also suggest that you start working out. It doesn't have to be a lot. Just try a little but of cardio on the first day. Then a little bit more on day two. If you maintain that, you will be able to burn a lot more calories than by merely watching your diet.
Reply 3
Water is your friend when trying to lose weight. Drinks plenty of it.

When you're hungry, drink water.
When you're in the middle of eating your meal, down a glass of water.
When you're done eating, drink more water.
In between meals, drink water.

In fact, I've read that sometimes when we feel hungry, it is actually our body telling us that we are thirsty.

Have your big meals when you wake up. Eat only super light meals before bed. Preferably 4 hours before you go to bed.

And exercise is important. I know it's tough. Or can feel inconvenient. But even just jogging on the spot or doing jumping jacks are better than doing zero exercises.

I was also reading about modvigil tablets, and they mention that it helps with weight loss. I know people with narcolepsy take it. I'm not entirely sure how it helps with weight loss. I'm still doing more research on it.
Resistance training. Hands down. It boosts metabolism, help you lose weight while still eat more and feels great in general. I recommend check out the guys of Mind Pump Podcast, they're giving out great information.
Reply 5
Original post by Izziebell1508

Any advice?

As someone who has done SW and WW, I don't feel they work at all as they are far too restrictive (hence the binging) and do not give any form of nutritional education, whereas CC has lead to me losing 70lbs across 1.5 years. I've struggled with binge eating for almost 10 years now but CC has helped keep it under control. As every other post has said it's about being consistent and patient, if you try to lose 30lbs in a couple of months you're heading for disaster, especially if you have a history of binge eating. Use a TDEE calculator (literally google it) and plug in your measurements of weight, height, age etc and it will spit out how many calories per day you should be eating to lose weight/maintain etc, and use this as a basis. Say if you have 1700 calories for the day then split this into 3 meals plus a couple of healthy snacks. Pinch of Nom is a great cookbook which is based on SW but gives you easy recipes for low calorie meals. Try and eat as lean as you can with fresh food, try and keep the processed food to a minimum. Implement exercise if you like, it's not necessary but helps in so many ways in terms of making you feel good, toning up, improving fitness, and allows you to eat a little more too! You don't need to join a gym you could just go for a walk everyday, that will suffice! Weighing every week is fine but don't rely on it too much, especially if you're weight training - clothes and pictures tell a better story.

Just remember that it's a marathon not a sprint!!
Original post by lcb96_x
As someone who has done SW and WW, I don't feel they work at all as they are far too restrictive (hence the binging) and do not give any form of nutritional education, whereas CC has lead to me losing 70lbs across 1.5 years. I've struggled with binge eating for almost 10 years now but CC has helped keep it under control. As every other post has said it's about being consistent and patient, if you try to lose 30lbs in a couple of months you're heading for disaster, especially if you have a history of binge eating. Use a TDEE calculator (literally google it) and plug in your measurements of weight, height, age etc and it will spit out how many calories per day you should be eating to lose weight/maintain etc, and use this as a basis. Say if you have 1700 calories for the day then split this into 3 meals plus a couple of healthy snacks. Pinch of Nom is a great cookbook which is based on SW but gives you easy recipes for low calorie meals. Try and eat as lean as you can with fresh food, try and keep the processed food to a minimum. Implement exercise if you like, it's not necessary but helps in so many ways in terms of making you feel good, toning up, improving fitness, and allows you to eat a little more too! You don't need to join a gym you could just go for a walk everyday, that will suffice! Weighing every week is fine but don't rely on it too much, especially if you're weight training - clothes and pictures tell a better story.

Just remember that it's a marathon not a sprint!!

32kg is a fantastic weight loss, and done over a sensible time frame. Well done :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
32kg is a fantastic weight loss, and done over a sensible time frame. Well done :smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile:
Hi there, hope you are doing well. In order to lose weight, I believe there are two things:
1) Good Diet
2) Excercise

But before we come to that you need to analyze what your body type is, what your BMI is, how many calories you require per day to sustain weight, and how can you go to a calorie deficit and lose weight. Don't worry you can get all these answers on the internet with a couple of hours of research for free and understand what your body is and what it requires.

Once you get to know your body type and the number of calories that you would require for a day you can simply start looking at your diet to see how many calories you are consuming per day and to lose some weight you need to go on a caloric deficit i.e.you need to consume fewer calories than those required per your body to lose weight. To speed up the process and build a healthy body you can start doing exercise as well this way you wouldn't only lose weight but your body will come in a good shape as well and you would feel strong and healthy. Now for exercise, it's not necessary that you go to the gym you can simply do calisthenics (bodyweight exercise) which you can see on youtube or any apps there are a ton of apps and influencers that teach exercises everyday!

Doing these two things together might be hard in the beginning as starting something is the most difficult part but once you do it you can see results within 10-20 days depending on how disciplined you are!

Quick Reply

Latest