The Student Room Group

preparing a portfolio

hi there,

after ultimately deciding that i want to do a film production course and getting onto a mediocre ba and a bsc this year, i decided to do neither and instead prepare a portfolio for a strong film production ba course, this year.

i'm probably going to get some reading material to help me with some films, although i have pretty good ideas of what i want to do. however, i figured something to read would help, but i was wondering whether i should get a scriptwriting, screenwriting or a more rounded book for the whole film production process. does anyone have any recommendations?

also, after i write a couple of scripts i don't know how i can get the cast and equipment to produce it. this is the bigger problem. does anyone have any ideas for this?

thanks
Reply 1
Production-wise your best bet is to get a few general books on film production. You can find copies of scripts online, so there's little point buying a whole book on those unless you struggle to decipher any examples you can get hold of.
To get the cast for a film, you'll have to advertise and hold auditions; and the equipment is something you'll just have to buy yourself - you can rent it, but in the long-term it's far better to buy straight out.
Reply 2
Zap
OP
thanks, but the main part is that it will be difficult to get the people. i can't advertise and hire actors because that would cost too much.

as for the script i have already got ideas, which keep costs and cast low.

i was just wondering whether there's a place i could go to to help with cast and equipment, like a film-making place. its too late to join a foundation course and the met film school is a bit pricey.
Reply 3
You don't have to pay your actors; many will be happy to work for free, or perhaps for a copy of the film for their own portfolios. As long as you make it clear that you won't be paying when you advertise, you should be fine.

I don't know anywhere that you could get help with equipment from though, sorry.
Reply 4
Zap
OP
ok, but where would i advertise?
Reply 5
Local websites, gumtree etc, and free newspapers. :smile:
Reply 6
For scriptwriting I recommend Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting by Mckee.

If you can get experience on local films then they'll usually help you out with some equipment. For actors see if any friends, or friends of friends are drama students.

Latest

Trending

Trending