The Student Room Group

Who is the GOAT in football?

Scroll to see replies

It’s John Obi Mikel of course.
Jermain Defoe.
Original post by Kentinho99
Who is Joe? Joe Cole? Joe Jordan?

The only player I know with the forename Joe is Cole and he was a good player for Chelsea at his best period.
Original Ronaldo, the Brazilian one. Shame hes been overshadowed by the Portuguese one
Who is the GOAT (Greatest of all time) in football?

Mine has to be Arjen Robben, closely followed by Philip Lahm.

Who's everyone else saying is thr GOAT?

Cruyff and Best will be up there. People talk about Ronaldo/Messi and they are correct that these guys have changed the game with their longevity at the very highest level, it's not been done before. But how can you compare players in the 60s and 70s? They didnt train, have the resources or have the lifestyle that Messi/Ronaldo have. If George Best didnt sink a bottle of whisky every night and Cruyff didnt chain smoke then they might have been even better!

Of course Maradonna was up to his nose in chang and was a complete killer so for me, he is the very best.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Cruyff and Best will be up there. People talk about Ronaldo/Messi and they are correct that these guys have changed the game with their longevity at the very highest level, it's not been done before. But how can you compare players in the 60s and 70s? They didnt train, have the resources or have the lifestyle that Messi/Ronaldo have. If George Best didnt sink a bottle of whisky every night and Cruyff didnt chain smoke then they might have been even better!

Of course Maradonna was up to his nose in chang and was a complete killer so for me, he is the very best.

Re the bold, the flipside is that they may not have even made it as elite professionals in the modern game. So much athleticism, fitness etc needed these days.
Original post by GyrosUberAlles
Maradona, Messi or Ronaldo de Lima (not Cristiano).

personally i think messi is the goat, but cr7 better than r9 because of longevity
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
personally i think messi is the goat, but cr7 better than r9 because of longevity

I enjoyed watching R9 playing much more, 'tis all.
Original post by myhairispeng
Attacker - Messi
Midfielder - Xavi
Defender - Maldini
Goalkeeper - Neuer

He is a good choice, but there is one who was able to compete him at this level: Buffon!
I enjoyed watching R9 playing much more, 'tis all.

Yh I agree I can back that for sure
Messi
Original post by goggleyed
Original Ronaldo, the Brazilian one. Shame hes been overshadowed by the Portuguese one

Don't forget that Il fenomeno Ronaldo was at his prime at the end of the 90s, in a period of time when a great part of TSR members and football fans weren't even born! they hadn't the privilege to see him play in a young age as I had. Nonetheless that it is a shame that he is sunken into oblivion due to his name.
(edited 2 years ago)

Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi
Reply 33
Paul Gascoigne
Original post by Laurus
Paul Gascoigne

He had his good seasons, all the worse that he ruined his career and life because of his alcohol addiction. :frown:
Gazza was good but not in the same league as Messi
Reply 36
Maradona, Messi or Ronaldo de Lima (not Cristiano).

Original post by mmaozedong
Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi

Original post by MonryMad
Messi

cristiano ronaldo all day hes broken soo many records
Original post by Labeel
cristiano ronaldo all day hes broken soo many records

Messi will break some of them by the time they both retire imo

Cristiano ronaldo all day every day
Original post by Laurus
Paul Gascoigne

Agree

Quick Reply

Latest