The Student Room Group

Civil Service EO graded Apprenticeship - what I'm I getting myself into?

Hey,

I have got an apprentice position at one of the civil service companies in a department. It's not by applying through the Fast Stream route or any Apprenticeship routes where you go through multiple assessments (which I am so bad at) it's a normal job I applied for in a department but an apprenticeship where you do a qualification too.

I've never worked in the Civil Service before and I don't know any family/friends that have too to get some advice. One thing I have been told is the civil service may open doors to more opportunities than where I currently work.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm getting myself into as it's not your typical apprenticeship which you do after leaving school or college.. is it more like an adult apprenticeship?
(edited 2 years ago)
My sister did this. She didn’t complete the apprenticeship as she was offered a promotion after the first year.

It was a fantastic opportunity for her and she absolutely loves her job (she was working in a call centre before the apprenticeship). She’s getting ready to apply for another promotion that will take her salary up to £40k - she’s not even 30 yet.
Reply 2
Original post by HorribleHatty
My sister did this. She didn’t complete the apprenticeship as she was offered a promotion after the first year.

It was a fantastic opportunity for her and she absolutely loves her job (she was working in a call centre before the apprenticeship). She’s getting ready to apply for another promotion that will take her salary up to £40k - she’s not even 30 yet.

Wow that's amazing, can I ask what field of work she does in the civil service?
Original post by sabana
Wow that's amazing, can I ask what field of work she does in the civil service?

Eh… I think she went in as like… a PA type thing? PA to a deputy director. I’m not sure what the apprenticeship was meant to be in.

She’s now a policy officer/policy advisor.
Reply 4
The Civil Service is a highly-regarded employer and jobs are very competitive, well done for getting an apprenticeship! What will you be doing?

One key thing to bear in mind is that once you're 'in' the CS, you have access to a huge internal jobs board that they don't often advertise to the public (i.e., they take internal applicants only). Being a Civil Servant not only opens doors to more opportunities within the CS, but should set you up with some great work experience to make yourself more desirable to future employers.
I have many years experience for multiple departments (cabinet office, dwp, fco) i highly recommend it - and yes once "in" your civil service jobs log in will show around 3 times as many jobs on offer. It's one of the best employers out there - good luck , feel free to om any Qs.
Reply 6
Original post by Marcus133
I have many years experience for multiple departments (cabinet office, dwp, fco) i highly recommend it - and yes once "in" your civil service jobs log in will show around 3 times as many jobs on offer. It's one of the best employers out there - good luck , feel free to om any Qs.

What did you do at the FCO, and how did you get in? I hear it’s really competitive!
Original post by lojawa
What did you do at the FCO, and how did you get in? I hear it’s really competitive!

I got in just as an admin officer in dwp during a large recruitment drive and worked my way up going for promotion every year and half or so. Now a Grade 6. I took up a 3 month placement in the British High Commission in Malte (again only showing as an internal job) before you know it the amount of experience you have put you in a good place for promotion if you keep moving.
I’ve just been successful in getting a project management apprenticeship role in the home office. How are you getting on in your role? I’m very keen to understand what happens once the apprenticeship finishes in two years time e.g with promotion etc
Reply 9
Original post by wearsj012
I’ve just been successful in getting a project management apprenticeship role in the home office. How are you getting on in your role? I’m very keen to understand what happens once the apprenticeship finishes in two years time e.g with promotion etc

There's no promotion mentioned after completing the Apprenticeship. You have to apply yourself for any jobs you find internally or via civil service jobs. I would have a speak with your line manager to start getting experience or shadowing to other teams you may think you want to work in.

From a personal opinion after the Apprenticeship I don't have any plans to stay in the civil service but everyones experience is different. Just keep your options open to jobs outside the civil service too but I'd definitely want to complete an apprenticeship with the civil service rather than any other company.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by HorribleHatty

Hi, what department did she work in? I have just been offered a year temporary contract working in the department for education in a job role I am really interested in but I am worried that there will be no opportunities/ permanent positions that become available for me to apply for and be left without a job this time next year.
Original post by wearsj012

I completed my EO Business Analysis apprenticeship in August, and applied for a HEO role within the department immediately. I was successful and your chances will be equally high as you have business area knowledge, and probably fulfil most of their requirements due to being trained to their specifications.

I was a HEO for three months before I successfully applied to another department on promotion. My advise is to always keep an eye out for other jobs and keep tweeting your cv and application as you pack up the experience
Reply 12
Hi, I have applied for the same role in DWP, can you please give me any advice as to what I should include in my personal statement and if possible what type of questions you got asked during the interview process. Thanks
Hi, did u get the job ? What questions did they ask?
Original post by Zr23
Hi, I have applied for the same role in DWP, can you please give me any advice as to what I should include in my personal statement and if possible what type of questions you got asked during the interview process. Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ash1234
Hey,

I have got an apprentice position at one of the civil service companies in a department. It's not by applying through the Fast Stream route or any Apprenticeship routes where you go through multiple assessments (which I am so bad at) it's a normal job I applied for in a department but an apprenticeship where you do a qualification too.

I've never worked in the Civil Service before and I don't know any family/friends that have too to get some advice. One thing I have been told is the civil service may open doors to more opportunities than where I currently work.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm getting myself into as it's not your typical apprenticeship which you do after leaving school or college.. is it more like an adult apprenticeship?

Hi, what questions did they ask? Was it difficult?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending