The Student Room Group

BMAT help......

Hi guys
i was doing an essay and need a bit of help
the question is
The sequencing of the human genome is the most important scientific advance of the twentieth century.
i was thinking about ways in which it may hinder the advancement of medicine. I came up with: parents may use screening to terminate embryos if they have any genetic diseases which may mean that we will not get the chance to find a cure for this if we cant do research on sufferers. then it came to me that this may seem unethical as it would be like allowing these babies to be born so we can use them as guinea pigs.
Dont know, what do you think?:confused:

Thank you
Reply 1
could force people to think rather single-track-edly. that makes no sense, but for example people are blaming a whole array of things on your genes...and it's a bit of a cop out as opposed to looking for the genuine causes.

it's a recent development so A LOT of the money in scientific research etc is going towards genetic research, it's not a fair distribution and it could cause other areas of scientific research to suffer as a result?

possibly could cause grievances between science & religious groups. if embryo testing is starting, and genetic screening in a sense, they may feel less obliged to collaborate/assist/advise in the future.

i'm not sure, i'm not taking this exam. :x
Reply 2
ohaidani
could force people to think rather single-track-edly. that makes no sense, but for example people are blaming a whole array of things on your genes...and it's a bit of a cop out as opposed to looking for the genuine causes.

it's a recent development so A LOT of the money in scientific research etc is going towards genetic research, it's not a fair distribution and it could cause other areas of scientific research to suffer as a result?

possibly could cause grievances between science & religious groups. if embryo testing is starting, and genetic screening in a sense, they may feel less obliged to collaborate/assist/advise in the future.

i'm not sure, i'm not taking this exam. :x

Thanks a lot.
for bad points you can talk about ppl genetically engineering their children to have brown eyes to be tall and smart, and this is just morally wrong and controversial, you can also talk about creating the perfect ''human race''
Reply 4
gooner_baz
Hi guys
i was doing an essay and need a bit of help
the question is
The sequencing of the human genome is the most important scientific advance of the twentieth century.
i was thinking about ways in which it may hinder the advancement of medicine. I came up with: parents may use screening to terminate embryos if they have any genetic diseases which may mean that we will not get the chance to find a cure for this if we cant do research on sufferers. then it came to me that this may seem unethical as it would be like allowing these babies to be born so we can use them as guinea pigs.
Dont know, what do you think?:confused:

Thank you

-On foetuses being considered for abortion, it has int he past been common practice to do 'research' like asking the mother to take a partic. drug, to see how it affects the foetus.
-Could mean that things like obesity or high cholestorol are 'blaimed' on genes and considered untreatable.
-screening does occur already.
-finding cures for sufferers isn't really a problem, because some parents will probably always choose to have children with terminal illnesses, even knowing the child will have this illness. And if they don't do, then the genetic disease will be eradicated, so we don't have to worry about researching it.

Have you tried posting in the BMAT thread?

Latest

Trending

Trending