The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MPhil in Economics at Oxford 2022

Scroll to see replies

My upload button disappeared today (I also received the informal acceptance email on Friday)!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by dks_1995
Did you apply for just MPhil or MPhil+DPhil?

Just the MPhil. :smile:
I contacted the department and they said that it may be possible that they sent out the invitations for graduate events only to MPhil applicants and not to MPhil-DPhil applicants. Could anyone verify this ?

They themselves are not sure who they sent the invitations to? What exactly did they say?

On Gradcafe, I saw one acceptance to MPhil+DPhil and another one referred from MPhil+DPhil to MPhil Econ.

Also I've been continuously emailing and calling the department and receiving no response, being sent to voicemail. How and at what time did you contact them?
Original post by techtonic
They themselves are not sure who they sent the invitations to? What exactly did they say?

On Gradcafe, I saw one acceptance to MPhil+DPhil and another one referred from MPhil+DPhil to MPhil Econ.

Also I've been continuously emailing and calling the department and receiving no response, being sent to voicemail. How and at what time did you contact them?

1. I don’t think they have sent out any acceptance to MPhil+DPhil yet. Are you sure you saw MPhil+DPhil and not MPhil?
2. I contacted them yesterday at around 2pm after 3-4 they picked up.
3. They used the word “I believe that graduate events invitations are sent to MPhil offer holders and not MPhil-DPhil offer holders”.
1. I don’t think they have sent out any acceptance to MPhil+DPhil yet. Are you sure you saw MPhil+DPhil and not MPhil?
2. I contacted them yesterday at around 2pm after 3-4 they picked up.
3. They used the word “I believe that graduate events invitations are sent to MPhil offer holders and not MPhil-DPhil offer holders”.

Wow I really hope that is the case

Here is the GradCafe post I was referring to. Scroll down and you'll find a comment by Econ_007 stating
"A professor wrote me telling me I have been offered a place. Decisions should be out in the next few days."

I was assuming this was the informal offer but hopefully there is some hope for the rest of us who haven't received an offer!
Original post by techtonic
Wow I really hope that is the case

Here is the GradCafe post I was referring to. Scroll down and you'll find a comment by Econ_007 stating
"A professor wrote me telling me I have been offered a place. Decisions should be out in the next few days."

I was assuming this was the informal offer but hopefully there is some hope for the rest of us who haven't received an offer!

We’re not sure if the guy will be offered MPhil or M-DPhil despite him applying for M-DPhil. Let’s wait and watch.
Reply 26
Any update for the mphil+dphil?
Reply 27
Would have assumed people would have been rejected by now since they sent informal offers more than a week ago. Odd.
idk at this point I'm honestly just annoyed. I was initially optimistic when I didn't receive an informal offer as my friend with a similar profile got one so I thought maybe they're waitlisting people or something. Now I'm leaning towards rejection. at this point I honestly can't bring myself to care that much anymore, their behaviour has put me off.

tbh I'm just shocked by the lack of transparency here. It's honestly disrespectful and unprofessional to send out those informal offers and keep other applicants (who have put a great deal of time AND money towards applying) guessing what not receiving anything means no updates, no replying to e-mails and calls (for me at least, they haven't replied to my e-mail in a week asking what no informal offer means and I tried calling them multiple times, no response). I get they are busy, but honestly this has happened at no other uni I've applied to and even if Oxford is a great uni, there is no excuse for this lack of basic professionalism
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by luckyandtommy
idk at this point I'm honestly just annoyed. I was initially optimistic when I didn't receive an informal offer as my friend with a similar profile got one so I thought maybe they're waitlisting people or something. Now I'm leaning towards rejection. at this point I honestly can't bring myself to care that much anymore, their behaviour has put me off.

tbh I'm just shocked by the lack of transparency here. It's honestly disrespectful and unprofessional to send out those informal offers and keep other applicants (who have put a great deal of time AND money towards applying) guessing what not receiving anything means no updates, no replying to e-mails and calls (for me at least, they haven't replied to my e-mail in a week asking what no informal offer means and I tried calling them multiple times, no response). I get they are busy, but honestly this has happened at no other uni I've applied to and even if Oxford is a great uni, there is no excuse for this lack of basic professionalism

Yes. This is completely annoying. They were suppose to give out results by 18th at most.
Reply 30
According to Gradcafe someone has been "informally" accepted to the Dphil Economics. I do not know whether it is the Dphil or Mphil-Dphil...
Reply 31
My button disappeared today (applied to MPhil only). Expecting a rejection based on the number of offers that have been given.
I emailed the department about when they'll send out formal offers (got informal offer on 18/03) and was told within the next 48h.
Applied to the combined mphil+dphil and the button is still there.
Has everyone's upload button disappeared? Mine just disappeared this morning and I applied for the MPhil Econ (standalone). I also didn't receive an informal offer when others did.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by potatofry
Has everyone's upload button disappeared? Mine just disappeared this morning and I applied for the MPhil Econ (standalone). I also didn't receive an informal offer when others did.

I applied for MPhil-DPhil and mine hasn’t disappeared, nor has anyone else’s for those who applied for MPhil-DPhil I guess.
Applied for MPhil+Dphil as well, no news yet. Hope it will be out this week, as I have another offer need to get back to. For those applied for the integrated programme, may I ask your background?
Did anyone manage to get in contact with the department with respect to the combined Mphil+Dphil?
Original post by Anonymous
Applied for MPhil+Dphil as well, no news yet. Hope it will be out this week, as I have another offer need to get back to. For those applied for the integrated programme, may I ask your background

Applied by the March deadline. Economics undergrad (approx 65%, UK), MSc Economics(Expected Very close to the distinction, Europe) + MSc Maths( about 1 and half-semester completed before the application deadline with perfect marks in all of the courses meaning 1/1, Europe).
I got my official offer today for the MPhil Economics! (At 8AM EST)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending