The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
sequence123
I forgot to mention, I only have BBB at A level.

How does that affect my chances?

Im afraid it probably has a major effect. I think most places require ABB as the bare minimum.
Even just for a job in tech (even at a 2nd tier bank)?
Reply 382
sequence123

Well go and have a look on some websites and see what their recuriting policy is. However I seem to remember people mentioning that it was ABB
Reply 383
sequence123

Often most banks ask for a minimum of ABB for any position. You'll have to search, but may find the odd one or two that don't autofilter people with less than that.
I've heard from many people that investment banking companies often look for people who have come from various engineering degrees. When I heard this it did interest me so I've come here for you to all tell me, or not tell me, that the university I go to is too **** to be given a place in a top IB company.

The university I'm going to is Southampton to do a Masters in Electrical Engineering. It isn't known as a top university overall, but is generally accepted as one of - if not the - best university for that subject. I know I won't stand the same chance as someone possibly with a 1:1 in economics from Warwick but I just wanted to know how far off base I was.

I searched for this but couldn't find anything as specific.
Samtooth
I've heard from many people that investment banking companies often look for people who have come from various engineering degrees. When I heard this it did interest me so I've come here for you to all tell me, or not tell me, that the university I go to is too **** to be given a place in a top IB company.

The university I'm going to is Southampton to do a Masters in Electrical Engineering. It isn't known as a top university overall, but is generally accepted as one of - if not the best - university for that subject. I know I won't stand the same chance as someone possibly with a 1:1 in economics from Warwick but I just wanted to know how far off base I was.

You're right that Soton is very impressive in Electrical Engineering, although I wouldn't necessaily put a degree in EE from Soton above all the rest, simply because there's always a difference between the quality of the research coming from a department (top-notch at Soton) and the reputation of the undergrad degree.

I don't think it's unrealistic as Southampton is recognised as a good uni and a MEng in EE is always an impressive degree (as they tend to be very mathematical-based, a lot more than any other so-called "IB-focused" degrees). You'd probably need someone to confirm that there are indeed people from Soton who work for IBs.
Reply 386
guys how about SOAS?
Reply 387
Hmmm i haven't actually heard many people do into IB with SOAS? But im sure there are a few. hehe,
Reply 388
International Baccalaureate - 45 including higher level maths

LSE - philosophy and economics...

I assume i would be in good standing should i wand to go into IB??
Reply 389
cuth
International Baccalaureate - 45 including higher level maths

LSE - philosophy and economics...

I assume i would be in good standing should i wand to go into IB??

Yes you have the academic credentials, go out and get some good ec`s and you will get interviews, then its up to you.
Reply 390
Hi there,

Im currently down to study BSc Engineering and Business Studies at Warwick. Now I've already completed my first year and going to enter into my second year this fall. I'm just wondering weather or not to change my degree to a MEng. This would mean I'd graduate in 2010 and not 2009. Reasons for this change is that in EBS i'd only get half of each subject if you get what I mean. That is I could never become an Engineer and I'd only have limited Business knowledge. While with MEng I'd get a full degree.

Now I'm very interested in I-Banking esp. in M&A (for the moment). I was wondering weather anyone had any opion changing my degree? Is it worth an extra year? Does it matter to I-Banks? Appreciate your input in advance.
Reply 391
BSc Engineering and Business Studies
or
MEng
???
Reply 392
Engineering
Reply 393
^MEng i gather...?
Reply 394
umm i dont know too much about that, but Engineering rather than Business Studies, Engineering is highly mathematical therefore more respected! where you intending, as the uni has > bearign than course in msot cases
Reply 395
So Im going Loughborough to do Acc+Financial Management 4 years with sandwich.

I only had 300 ucas points at A level (ABC maths phys chem and B @ Biology AS). I will, yep, I WILL get 1st at this because I will try more than I need to.

The thing is, I really want to get into finance within bank (ideally DB) - I know the UCAS points will be a setback - so I will be - in the next 3/4 years cramming alot of stuff. One being sports, 2 being languages (I will study French and Arabic) and also try get in all taster/2 week interns etc in first year and 2nd year to enhance C.V.

I am also really being ahead and always looking up on the business market daily - I am doing reading regarding business and financial markets. Being very interested in Economics, I also am reading into alot of that, half interest based and half academic.

What else would I need to do to remove that hideous A level setback? The sad thing is only 1 student in my college beat me, with 320 ucas :s-smilie: . I don't mind if its 2nd tier bank or whatever, but I would prefer more options than just the big4!
Reply 396
really, i think most people clear the ucas points by loads? (i have like more than 400+ ucas points i think there are a lot of people that will have much more thatn the minumum and stereotypically AAB at least). jsut try your best and make use of contacts. haha i dont want to go to big4 either lol :tongue:
Reply 397
Sasuke!
really, i think most people cleat the ucas poitns by loads? (i have like more than 400+ ucas points i think there are a lot of people that will have much more thatn the minumum and stereotypically AAB at least). jsut try your best and make use of contacts. haha i dont want to go to big4 either lol :tongue:

You mean cheat the ucas points? How much do banks really check there stuff. I have a friend, who failed first year, was retaking his year - yet RBS and UBS took him up for the summer/autumn thinking he is on a gap year? They don't check references? It was no minor role either, he was working at RBS for around 400/week, and at UBS for 130/day...
Reply 398
No i would not encourage lying I would never lie, at my bank the screening is rigiourous. i would never lie, they were totally ok with it. my firm has an external agency that does the checking and they do check if you worked at XYZ, also if you said you had 420 for example ut you didnt you could lose the internship as you lied therefore not trustworthy. your friend has done well, i was thinking of saying i was on a gap year as i chagned my course, but jsut told them i did Maths, wasnt for me then moved on!
Reply 399
sorry i re read my post i meant "clear" as in easily surpass the minimum

Latest

Trending

Trending