The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What are my chances? 7 A*/2 A/1C at GCSE. 4 A's at A level, and hoping to study at LSE. Got 6 weeks work experience at Morgan Stanley.
katrinakaif
What are my chances? 7 A*/2 A/1C at GCSE. 4 A's at A level, and hoping to study at LSE. Got 6 weeks work experience at Morgan Stanley.

if you continue in the same vein, exceptional.
I actually know someone who works at MS, and he could sort me out with a spring week and internship, so work experience shouldn't be a problem.
uthinkilltellu
if you continue in the same vein, exceptional.

But does he/she have enough A* for LSE straight Econ?
Who said anything about straight econ...rofl
the title says it all really

which would be better in terms of employability and reputation
Business Management from Queen Mary, University of London
or
Economics, Finance and Management

Which one would be give me a higher chance of getting into Investing Banking?

if anyone has done either of these courses please tell me if you enjoyed the degree, and if it was very difficult etc.

Thank you :smile:
God, this is going to sound about as knobish as it comes, however, are you sure your credentials fit Investment Banking?

Business + Accounting are regarded as fairly soft A-Levels, certainly the latter. Then coupled with Queen Mary's...Maybe I'm being harsh.

However in response to your question, EFM would be the more respected degree by a long shot.
God, this is going to sound about as knobish as it comes, however, are you sure your credentials fit Investment Banking?

Business + Accounting are regarded as fairly soft A-Levels, certainly the latter. Then coupled with Queen Mary's...Maybe I'm being harsh.

However in response to your question, EFM would be the more respected degree by a long shot.

nah your not being harsh, okay yes you are lol but I don't mind, atleast your telling me the your opinion and probably what is the truth.

And yeah I know my A-level choices are crap, I wish I could go back in time and go to a different college and studying physics instead of accounting and econ instead of business but that aint gonna happen :frown:
and my results were rubbish aswell so even getting offers is going to be very hard for me.

if I did a Masters in a uni like Kings College or Manchester (dunno if they even offer this option) do yo uthink my chances would be better then?
katrinakaif
I actually know someone who works at MS, and he could sort me out with a spring week and internship, so work experience shouldn't be a problem.

Nepotism can only take you so far...
Reply 3989
BAEcon Economics at Manchester?
Reply 3990
definitely the economics,finance and managemnt, because its more math based and IBs like courses which are more math based
amar09
definitely the economics,finance and managemnt, because its more math based and IBs like courses which are more math based

well done for not knowing what the hell your talking about and without using sense, passing this misguided information on to someone else - you a-level kids really get on my (.)(.) sometimes with the nonsense you post to guide someones future career choices :rolleyes:

OP - purely choose EFM b/c it will have some finance modules and that it also sounds lightly more traditional than the others in eyes of recruiters

Depending on where you want to go maths in your degree may not be an issue at all (IBD and IM et al)
How would you guys rate finance and mathematics course from royal holloway? Help would be appreciated!
Can I be honest? You would be pushing it for Back office.
katrinakaif

For someone not even in college you sure have a lot of attitude. You better thank your lucky stars you have big contacts, because if you keep up this attitude there is no other way you will get hired.

Edit: The arts thread was particularly despicable.
katrinakaif

LOLL My first choice was bristol for Econ, i missed that by four marks! currently waiting for a remark, but if things don't go according to plan just wanted to see if the course would be good or not. thats not to say that royal holloway is bad by any means, and im sure that the graduates have a good chance of getting into IB. It depends on the person.
JuniorEconomist
LOLL My first choice was bristol for Econ, i missed that by four marks! currently waiting for a remark, but if things don't go according to plan just wanted to see if the course would be good or not. thats not to say that royal holloway is bad by any means, and im sure that the graduates have a good chance of getting into IB. It depends on the person.

He's right, you have quite a poor chance. Even Bristol is more like middle-office.
Alright..so you asked the question, and you also knew the answer.....am I missing something here?
Crazster
He's right, you have quite a poor chance. Even Bristol is more like middle-office.

INCORRECT

Bristol at the likes of Citi comes just behind Oxbridge and LSE - I don't quite know the connection but having asked employees there they always say the above 3 followed by Bristol everytime for FO positions, so clearly it is well regarded

add on to that I have seen many Bristol graduates at many BB banks (inc. GS were I am interning now) in FO positions
Crazster
For someone not even in college you sure have a lot of attitude. You better thank your lucky stars you have big contacts, because if you keep up this attitude there is no other way you will get hired.

Edit: The arts thread was particularly despicable.

Did I say something wrong? I don't think I did...if he mentioned he has substantial work experience then of course, he might have a chance; but he didn't.

Latest

Trending

Trending