The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Byz
Damn staright it's a seriosu question!:smile:

I think UCL or Imperial at least offers a MASTERS in financial Engineering, but I may be wrong. Anyway I'm doing Econ so screw you!:rolleyes:

Well u learn sumthing new everyday...:redface: dun Eco at GCSE wasnt al that great engineering defo better in my opinion.
Reply 781
ma2k5
Would chemical engineering look like a very good numerate degree vs A+F? Is it worth going through the workload of engineering - would it really help differentiate yourself when it comes to finanace jobs? If its not a huge difference, I mayaswell just stick to A+F and try do more EC's/reserach (since its easier degree)?

hmmm is it a lot easier? i hope its an easy degree :p:
Reply 782
High Fist
Well u learn sumthing new everyday...:redface: dun Eco at GCSE wasnt al that great engineering defo better in my opinion.

Econ at GCSE is a tad different from degree level:wink: Better than engineering? Don't know. But it is a lot more competitive than Engineering and Econ students do well when it comes to IB.
Reply 783
i got 5A's and 5 B's at gcse level but i now know this isnt good enough for the accounting and finance course i want to do, but i have the oppertunity to retake three of the b's i got, i was just wondering do unis look down on gcse resits and is it worthwhile
Reply 784
Those GCSE's are fine for Accounting and Finance courses, don't worry.
Reply 785
but im really hoping for somewhere like warwick, notts, or edinburgh, do you know if they are against gcse resits(will they even find out i did a resit) since i wont have to show them my exam directly
Reply 786
Your GCSE's will be fine for all of the universities that you are looking at provided your A-Levels are upto scratch.
Reply 787
Royal Holloway - Economics vs CASS - Inv. Financial Risk Management ?
Reply 788
T_Bag
Royal Holloway - Economics vs CASS - Inv. Financial Risk Management ?

RH Economics > Cass UG.

Cass UG are all CITY (you won't touch CASS, unless you do postgrad) with the name. Sadly employers will know this (they know what they invest in) and it won't look so great.
Reply 789
ma2k5
RH Economics > Cass UG.

Cass UG are all CITY (you won't touch CASS, unless you do postgrad) with the name. Sadly employers will know this (they know what they invest in) and it won't look so great.

Actually the IVFRM course belongs to Cass Business School. So it's a tough one. I'd personally choose RH Econ over Cass UG but that's becuase I like Economics. I believe Cass has a better record for getting people into IB than RHUL.
Reply 790
It "belongs" technically, but all teaching of all the CASS courses are done in CITY, which is quite a blow in terms of respect the courses at undergrad should be getting, right?
Byz
I'm talking about undergrad. what top uni offers financial engineering for undergrad?

lol.

ma2k5
I believe it was a joke

Yes, yes it was.
Reply 792
Is it worth going through double the work load and doing an engineering degree - if you plan to get into finance/banking?

How would you rate these in terms of employability: Aero, Mech, Chemical, Electric/Electronic?

Im pulling my hair trying to work out if its worth the work to switch from A+F... Only like 1.5 weeks to go till uni :P! (Loughborough btw)
Reply 793
Look at it this way, chemical engineering wont restrict you to the financial field (you can go into I.T., Oil, Energy etc) whereas A+F will.
Reply 794
Yep, somehow I believe I would be far more interested in aero/mech as opposed to chem - The fear is that I start chem eng, find it utterly boring leading to doing crap and getting nothing out of it :s-smilie:...
Reply 795
There hardly any organic chemistry in Chemical Engineering, its mostly maths,physics and thermodynamics.
Reply 796
Its also alot of "pipework" eh? Or so i've been told :eek:
Reply 797
ma2k5
It "belongs" technically, but all teaching of all the CASS courses are done in CITY, which is quite a blow in terms of respect the courses at undergrad should be getting, right?

I understand that they are taught at City, but however CASS awards the degree, surely there is some credibility to that? From what i can see, Cass's UG's have more success in IB than RH'ers, but maybe they do...just going by what i see here.
Reply 798
Well I heard that CASS Postgrad is recognised by IB, not the UG - Since it doesn't even teach the UG itself. You are right, you prob won't make it from RHUL to IB, but having a decent uni (RH) for a very good course (Economics) gives you opportunities to go for good masters in Economics or business - thus making you quite a desirable person.
Reply 799
ma2k5
Well I heard that CASS Postgrad is recognised by IB, not the UG - Since it doesn't even teach the UG itself. You are right, you prob won't make it from RHUL to IB, but having a decent uni (RH) for a very good course (Economics) gives you opportunities to go for good masters in Economics or business - thus making you quite a desirable person.

Actually the CASS staff do teach the Undergrad courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending