The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by poonamwadhwa
Oh I am only taking my GCSE'S! I am just quite forward thinking!

dont waste your time worrying about this craap yet then. Like the other guy said, just do what u want to.
Reply 9581
Is straight economics at nottingham good enough?
Original post by timex
Is straight economics at nottingham good enough?

yes

where did your username come from?
I have offers from UCL and notts for straight econ. Boths offers are A*AA (UCL specify a* must be in maths) however notts are lenient and will let me in with AAA only if I firm. I'm not 100% if I will get the a* and j have no real insurance since all offers are a*aa. So the question is...do I risk it with UCL or firm notts? Is notts good enough for IB or consultancy ?
Original post by pat.bateman
I have offers from UCL and notts for straight econ. Boths offers are A*AA (UCL specify a* must be in maths) however notts are lenient and will let me in with AAA only if I firm. I'm not 100% if I will get the a* and j have no real insurance since all offers are a*aa. So the question is...do I risk it with UCL or firm notts? Is notts good enough for IB or consultancy ?

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

Posted from TSR Mobile

go for ucl bro...work hard and you'll make it. and obviously dont rely on this...but if you insure notts and get AAA they might still let you on tbh, quite likely given theyre willing to give an AAA offer

wow how is imperial 15th on there ! IB is their biggest uni society
Original post by newblood
go for ucl bro...work hard and you'll make it. and obviously dont rely on this...but if you insure notts and get AAA they might still let you on tbh, quite likely given theyre willing to give an AAA offer

They said I cant go in with aaa if I insure them...either way im gonna try to achieve A*s
wow how is imperial 15th on there ! IB is their biggest uni society

Because it's predominantly a STEM school which doesn't teach economics or finance at the undergraduate level.Therefore, less people would like the idea of going into finance.

It's mostly due to the quantity that end up in IB.
They said I cant go in with aaa if I insure them...either way im gonna try to achieve A*s

yeah they say that now, but come results day when loads of people miss their offers (unless youre on a pretty competitive course) they will take you with AAA - have a look if they participated in clearing this year..if soo i bet theyd take you with aaa
yeah they say that now, but come results day when loads of people miss their offers (unless youre on a pretty competitive course) they will take you with AAA - have a look if they participated in clearing this year..if soo i bet theyd take you with aaa

Econ is one of Notts' most competitive courses I highly doubt they would be anywhere near clearing for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Econ is one of Notts' most competitive courses I highly doubt they would be anywhere near clearing for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my friend got onto it with AAA though that was adjustment so i dono

Adjustment isn't clearing..

how recently?

I emailed them and they said they dont offer clearing, just adjustment and even then you'd need A*AA
how recently?

I emailed them and they said they dont offer clearing, just adjustment and even then you'd need A*AA

this august
Original post by 1338
Is there much of a difference between Bristol and York for getting into IB with an economics degree? Bristol seems to be more established but York seems to have a better economics department.

Bristol > York

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

Although York is still decent.
Adjustment isn't clearing..

yes but if you adjust with aaa you can clear with aaa surely? adjustment isnt relevant to him though as we are talking about the scenario where he misses his offer
yes but if you adjust with aaa you can clear with aaa surely? adjustment isnt relevant to him though as we are talking about the scenario where he misses his offer

Not exactly, clearing is designed for less competitive unis/courses to make a last ditch effort of increasing their numbers.

Adjustment is the opportunity for unis to swoop up great candidates that were otherwise overlooked.

The uni has every right to deny him if he misses their offer, especially if they have explicitly stated it. Nothing stops him from putting them down anyway - it is down to the discretion of the university.
Not exactly, clearing is designed for less competitive unis/courses to make a last ditch effort of increasing their numbers.

Adjustment is the opportunity for unis to swoop up great candidates that were otherwise overlooked.

The uni has every right to deny him if he misses their offer, especially if they have explicitly stated it. Nothing stops him from putting them down anyway - it is down to the discretion of the university.

Fair enough but i would advise to aspire to ucl as firm and insure with notts. If you only miss one of the offers by a grade, obviously they dont have to let you in, but if they have the space (relatively likely), theyd let you in
Fair enough but i would advise to aspire to ucl as firm and insure with notts. If you only miss one of the offers by a grade, obviously they dont have to let you in, but if they have the space (relatively likely), theyd let you in

True, I'd probably do that as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending