The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
um i think pretty buch so, unless you did an equivalent, i think they probably expect it rather. um LSE i heard scrutinize your GCSE very much so and fo rtop courses like Econ you need like a string of A*. out of curiosity why did you not do GCSE?
Reply 121
Dredz
Hi, by reading and hearing about IB I got quite interested in it. I was wondering, would uni's like LSE and banks look at your GCSE grades?
I have not done GCSE's at all, I started with my A levels and Im predicted to get ABB or AAB. Would the fact that I havent done GCSE's be an obstacle?

LSE care a lot about your degree, banks less so. However if you have an equivilent that's fine. If not, you won't be ruled out because you come from a system that doesn't have exams at 16. However AAB/ABB grades are probably not enough for LSE (for most courses it's AAA as a minimum), and many front office roles in banking ask for AAB. Worth a try, especially for a non-economics LSE degree, but keep it as a "reach" school, one you're trying for but don't hold out too much hope for.
I might as well seek people's informed opinions...

A-Levels:
Arabic - A
English Lit - A
Business Studies - A
Accounting - B

I also have a B in AS Maths.

Currently doing International Management at Uni of Manchester... Just finished the 1st of 4 years.

Some work experience, but none in the banking sector... apart from a week at the local HSBC during Yr 11 Work Experience.

Are these "good enough" or appropriate for IB?
Reply 123
Im no expert, but to be blunt, for front office, no.
Your a-level grades are fine and the subjects are ok i guess.
However, your uni and course might hold you back. Manchester grads in FO are rare and those who do make it usually have tons of relevant ECs/work experience, which you have said you dont have at the moment.
Nevertheless, middle/back office may be reasonable targets, just work hard to get the best grades at uni and get some relevant ECs
Reply 124
by the time you finish uni, it will be even more competitive. so to maximise your chances, try getting various internships, springweeks and etc.academically you dont seem like a candidate they would be looking for.
nayiseda
Im no expert, but to be blunt, for front office, no.
Your a-level grades are fine and the subjects are ok i guess.
However, your uni and course might hold you back. Manchester grads in FO are rare and those who do make it usually have tons of relevant ECs/work experience, which you have said you dont have at the moment.
Nevertheless, middle/back office may be reasonable targets, just work hard to get the best grades at uni and get some relevant ECs

Thanks... so from what I understand from reading through the forum is that I need to be extremely passionate about finance (check), show that I am interested enough and seek initiatives (semi-check), and that I'm an able graduate (I'm tailoring my course towards financial modules and will hopefully graduate with a first in 2010).

In terms of ECs and work experience... I'm working towards that, and believe I'll be able to get a decent start from this Summer. I've got a fair share of ECs, but nothing extravagant.

Thanks anyway... much appreciated. Anyone else?
wazzup
by the time you finish uni, it will be even more competitive. so to maximise your chances, try getting various internships, springweeks and etc. academically you dont seem like a candidate they would be looking for.

Is that because of the course/university?
Dredz
Hi, by reading and hearing about IB I got quite interested in it. I was wondering, would uni's like LSE and banks look at your GCSE grades?
I have not done GCSE's at all, I started with my A levels and Im predicted to get ABB or AAB. Would the fact that I havent done GCSE's be an obstacle?

No but they care a lot more if you start posting the same thread more than once.
Reply 128
..Inphinite..
Is that because of the course/university?

both
Reply 129
I know this is being done to death but a question. I have 3As at A Level History, Politics, Economics

I have worked as an equity research analyist for a small asset management firm for 6 months in my gap year. Hopefully I will also be getting 6 weeks experience in corporate finance at a much larger firm.

I am doing History/Politics at York next year.

First question, with those credentials what do you think my chances are of FO at bulge bracket? and secondly if I were to switch to PPE at York would this make any material difference?
Reply 130
Again the impression that i get is that FO at the bulge brackets is dominated by Oxbridge, LSE,UCL, Imperial and Warwick. Also, i hear that the only people who are given real leniency regarding non-quantitative courses are Oxbridge and to an extent, LSE. So a York graduate could make it yes, but it would take a lot of work. A History/Politics or PPE grad would make the situation harder. However, your work experience is impressive, so you do have a chance, albeit a relatively small one.
I would say hes got a reasonable chance, obviously has a couple contacts too which is good :smile:
Reply 132
supernova2
I would say hes got a reasonable chance, obviously has a couple contacts too which is good :smile:

Thanks, good to know I at least have a shot. Also in actual fact I dont have any contacts. I do now as the investment manager of the asset management firm I work for got a previous intern an interview at Lehman Brothers FO and he got the job. However the only way I have got these internships is through illistrating my deep interest in the financial markets and highlighting my stengths on my cover letter. Then I just sent it to around 30 small asset management firms and had 1 success. If you want to succeed in this industry I have realised that you have got to work yourself into the ground. If you are not prepared to do that your not cut out for the job and the long hours it brings anyway.
Reply 133
sequence123
No but they care a lot more if you start posting the same thread more than once.

Give me the links of the 2 threads that I posted please
hey, i was wondering if anybody could advise me on the following,

so i'm due to start warwick (econ) this september,

8A*,3a's and b at GCSE
AAB at A-level (hopefully)

to what extent will that B (in A-level physics) hinder my chances of internships etc? especially as the industry becomes even more competitive..
if your on course for a first/2:1 I doubt it'd have that much impact. Its still ruins your academic performance from being nearly perfect though.
exactly, it sticks out like a sore thumb, well i can still get an A but i need 103/120 on my synoptic unit (which is solid) any other opinions?
Reply 137
another economist
exactly, it sticks out like a sore thumb, well i can still get an A but i need 103/120 on my synoptic unit (which is solid) any other opinions?

my opinion would be just let it go, you're going to an excellent uni, so work hard there, network alot and get involved.
Reply 138
AAB is not bad, but its definitely not great. Physics is a subject which requires analytical skills and if you dont do well on it, it doesnt speak very well...even in comparison with others (who mostly get 3As+) when offers range from AAB through till AAAA for economics over here. It might also indicate that you slacked off and didnt work hard enough - worked just to satisfy the conditions. All these points could possibly come up in an app/cv screening stage for spring internships, however it should not weigh you down for getting a second year internship (as they care more about your first year marks).
Barzini
AAB is not bad, but its definitely not great. Physics is a subject which requires analytical skills and if you dont do well on it, it doesnt speak very well...even in comparison with others (who mostly get 3As+) when offers range from AAB through till AAAA for economics over here. It might also indicate that you slacked off and didnt work hard enough - worked just to satisfy the conditions. All these points could possibly come up in an app/cv screening stage for spring internships, however it should not weigh you down for getting a second year internship (as they care more about your first year marks).

Really? How impressive is a 1st in your first year? I don't know what its like at other universities, but hardly anyone gets one in their first year at mine.

To the OP- That B won't make much of a difference. You'll still get the interviews IMO and then its up to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending