The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cabso1
Oh I know, I've lived in England before :smile:.

Thanks for the heads up, btw, all of us Pakistanis refer to each other by the P..i short form.

errrr .. no we don't matey.
Reply 1381
All Pakistanis outside the UK... Well all the ones that I know call each other by the shortened version.
cabso1

Thanks for the heads up, btw, all of us Pakistanis refer to each other by the P..i short form.

It's used far too much nowadays as a derogatory term by racists, thus it being seen as somewhat taboo
What's better

Maths at cambridge or maths with economics at lse
Reply 1384
of course maths at cambridge. by miles.
Absolutely no comparison. Different galaxies. Unis that differ by over 200 places in the rankings.
Johan C
Absolutely no comparison. Different galaxies. Unis that differ by over 200 places in the rankings.

Hey Johan, I heard that the MSc A&F is quite a poor ranking MSc in LSE. IS this true? What do you think of it? What's the grad' destinations in terms of IB for the UG and PG course?

Thanks xxx
e-lover
Hey Johan, I heard that the MSc A&F is quite a poor ranking MSc in LSE. IS this true? What do you think of it? What's the grad' destinations in terms of IB for the UG and PG course?

Thanks xxx

Hi,
I was being completely sarcastic in the previous post, just mentioning that in case it wasn't clear... :smile:
As regards the MSc I'm not sure, check out the rankings ; having had a friend speak to our finance lecturer about it it seems its pretty qualitative and goes into some technical detail. At any rate I'd think it would be one of LSE's best rather than one of its worst ! As to destinations, it's on the LSE website (http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/graduateDestinations/accountingAndFinance/postgraduatecareers.htm), but basically it's mostly IB, Accountancy/Financial Services and Management Consultancy.
Reply 1388
How is York for: Accountancy, Business Finance and Management? I'm only accepted into this so far... and I'm scared that this might be my only choice.

What if I get a First from this uni?

My post above got sidetracked by something non-related. Drogue? Anybody?
Johan C

:biggrin:
Rep rep rep coming your way, you made my day... well cheered me up before my exam.
You've got an exam ? Good luck !
Reply 1391
wazzup
of course maths at cambridge. by miles.

While I'm one of the biggest fans of Cambridge's maths course, I disagree on this. Cambridge's maths course is academically better, harder and more respected than any other in the UK. However purely for banking, it depends which university or course is better for you. Doing M&E at LSE you'll have more time for extra curriculars, you'll have more direct exposure with banks and more opportunity to work with them, you'll have more knowledge of applied topics and can talk, technically, about finance. I was shocked when Jan decided to switch, from Cambridge maths to LSE M&E, but havign briefly spoken to him about it, I can understand why it was right for him. Also I have another friend who did maths at Cam, but a) wants to do some economics postgrad at some point, and is lacking economics and b) got a 2:2, making some grad choices hard.

Which course of those two is right for you depends on what you're like and what you want. Academically, Cambridge's is better by a mile, and it has the respect for graduate careers and such. However if you want to do less work, more ECs, more relevant things, be closer and more involved with banks and still get a 2:1, LSE's course could be a better choice. Cambridge's is the better course, but that doesn't make it better for every individual.
Reply 1392
Hello I am an International Student and I applied to Warwick Accountancy and Finance and Industrial Economics. I got accepted to both on a conditional offer of AAB. Now i am trying to decide which one to choose and i am confused.
As far as the two courses are concerned Accountancy and Finance is considerably expensive. I want to know which course is more reputed and has better job prospects? otherwise there is not much difference between the two. I mean does it make a difference if two guys from Warwick, one with an accounting and fin degree and another with an Ind Econ degree, apply for the same job? I mean will one of them have an advantage over the other if applying for something like a job of a Financial Analyst or an Investment banker? I would appreciate if you could give me examples and substantiate
Reply 1393
In all likelyhood, neither will have an advantage or disadvantage. As said above, both are good enough, neither are amazingly brilliant. Please don't repost the same question, you'd already asked this.
Reply 1394
I know this is a bit too early to ask, but would doing a Masters in Eco at Warwick after completing an UG in eco at Notts, improve my career prospects considerably?
Reply 1395
v2006
York is alright for economics as well.

Champagne Breakfast
St Andrews/York

Jimi Haze
St Andrews is an internationally known University as well (it's very old and prestigous I believe, I mean the Royal family went there so it is obviously very well known), not to mention its up there with some of the best Unis in the country - I'd pick that one career wise.

Thanks guys. I still haven't heard from any unis though, and I'm starting to get a bit anxious.

If I were to stay in Sweden, this would be my plan:

MSc Engineering Physics with a major in financial mathematics from the Royal Institute of Technology.

BA Economics with Chinese from Stockholm University.

MSc Finance from Stockholm School of Economics.

It would take me six years though (meaning I'd be 26 upon graduation).

And for the UK, St. Andrews would be my preference, because it would let me incorporate mathematics in my degree. So basically:

BSc Financial Economics and Mathematics from St. Andrews.

MSc Finance from target uni.

Would be 25.

So, for someone who wants to work as a prop trader in London, what would be the best - Sweden or Scotland?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1396
If the target Uni is LSE, then uk would be better.
Johan C
Hi,
I was being completely sarcastic in the previous post, just mentioning that in case it wasn't clear... :smile:
As regards the MSc I'm not sure, check out the rankings ; having had a friend speak to our finance lecturer about it it seems its pretty qualitative and goes into some technical detail. At any rate I'd think it would be one of LSE's best rather than one of its worst ! As to destinations, it's on the LSE website (http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/graduateDestinations/accountingAndFinance/postgraduatecareers.htm), but basically it's mostly IB, Accountancy/Financial Services and Management Consultancy.

Thanks ..and yes I recognised the sarcasm lol. I'm doing Economics at Manchester next year, and even though it says you need a 2.1 in A&F, do you think they'd accept Economics?
I'd say it depends a lot on whether you've taken options in accounting and finance, and how advanced the theory is.
On behalf of someone:

If they have a 2.2 in Stats from UCL and have a Msc in Stats from UCL, does this exemplify them from the 2.1 rule or does that still stand?

Latest

Trending

Trending