The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bristol Uni or Bath Uni?

I applied to both universities to study Sociology. I have already decided my firm university but I can't decide between Bath or Bristol as my insurance. Bath offers a placement year and ranks highly in my course. However, Bristol has a lower entry requirement and is a Russell group uni. Any advice on what I should do?
as long as they are both lower than your firm choice, I would go for the one that suits you best and that you would still enjoy a lot even if it is your backup. If Bath does rank higher and is achievable though, no doubt apply there
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
How will being part of a Russel Group uni help you as an undergrad? Russel Group is more about research than teaching anyway. Employers will look at the name of the uni not whether it is in Russel Group so I don't think it matters much at this stage.

Placement year is great for employability/deciding career + higher ranking --> bath

Although I am a bit biased...
Reply 3
Original post by bread enthusiast
How will being part of a Russel Group uni help you as an undergrad? Russel Group is more about research than teaching anyway. Employers will look at the name of the uni not whether it is in Russel Group so I don't think it matters much at this stage.

Placement year is great for employability/deciding career + higher ranking --> bath

Although I am a bit biased...

Thanks for your advice!

Original post by vic17060406
as long as they are both lower than your firm choice, I would go for the one that suits you best and that you would still enjoy a lot even if it is your backup. If Bath does rank higher and is achievable though, no doubt apply there

Thanks for your advice! I'm slightly apprehensive to choose Bath since their entry requirement is ABB while Bristol's is BBB. They are both great universities in their own right.
Bristol's Social Science dept is much bigger than that at Bath - the teaching/topics available will be far wider.
Bath is predominantly a STEM Uni, but has far better sports facilities than Bristol.
Bath - smaller city with modern campus on edge of town. Bristol - bigger place with city centre campus.
Original post by redcandy
I applied to both universities to study Sociology. I have already decided my firm university but I can't decide between Bath or Bristol as my insurance. Bath offers a placement year and ranks highly in my course. However, Bristol has a lower entry requirement and is a Russell group uni. Any advice on what I should do?

Hello,

Great to hear you are considering coming to Bath! I'd be happy to try and help with your question- I am a final year Business student at the University of Bath so have been at uni here for nearly 4 years.

As you said, Bath offers a placement year and this is an extremely beneficial part of any degree. The placements I completed as part of my course have given me some really good connections with people in industries I could potentially work in when I graduate. Also, they show on my CV that I have real-world business experience and a lot of companies require this. So, in terms of employability I would say Bath has definitely helped me a lot. The teaching at Bath is also excellent, the lecturers are all really supportive and I have enjoyed all the modules I have done.

As a uni in general, Bath is also great. I loved living on campus in my first year as it is a great way to meet loads of new friends. There is also some amazing facilities on campus, so I'd definitely recommend trying to book a tour if you can so you can see them all for yourself. There are so many societies and sports teams you can join at Bath too- even if you have never tried a sport before, everyone is welcome. In terms of the city of Bath, there is also so much to do and see. There are all the famous historical sites such as The Roman Baths, The Royal Crescent, and The Bath Abbey, there is such a huge selection of restaurants and bars, there is mini golf, the cinema, and some great shopping.

My biggest piece of advice would be to try and visit both cities and see which one you would feel more comfortable living in, and where you can picture yourself living for a few years. I have loved my time at Bath and made some amazing friends, but you'll definitely be able to do that at any uni!

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Best of luck,
Kayley

Quick Reply

Latest