The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Parent(s) of University of York 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Art vanderlay
Hi,

is this worthwhile for offer holders or just really for the prospective 2023 intake? We couldn’t make the official offer holder days, but we would still like to have another look around now it has been firmed.

We went before when other unis were still on the table and we visited quite a few nationwide in a shortish time and it’s hard to distinguish between some!

so it would be nice to have another look now this is where my daughter will go.

Hi @Art vanderlay

The upcoming Open Days are aimed at year 12 applicants considering applying to start university in September 2023. However, you can visit campus independently at any time, to have a look around.

I'd recommend downloading our Visit UoY app which will allow you to do an outdoor, self-guided tour whenever you want.

Chris
University of York
York
Hi, my daughter has put York as her firm choice. Do we have to wait for confirmation and an email from York before we book accommodation please? She hasn’t received anything yet.
Go onto York Uni website, accommodation section, it tells you how to apply for accommodation.
Hello,

My daughter will be studying biochemistry. She fell in love with York when she visited.
What will yours be studying?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

My daughter will be studying biochemistry. She fell in love with York when she visited.
What will yours be studying?

She is going to study Psychology.
Original post by Camrudge1
Hi, my daughter has put York as her firm choice. Do we have to wait for confirmation and an email from York before we book accommodation please? She hasn’t received anything yet.

Hi @Camrudge1

It sounds like you're ready to book accommodation.

If you submit the accommodation application and pay an advance payment by 9 June 2022, you'll also qualify for our undergraduate accommodation guarantee.

Full details about the guarantee and how to apply are on our website: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate/how-to-apply/

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Chris :smile:
Hi all,

Just to let you know, booking has now opened for our Open Days on 1 and 3 July! You can book your place here.

Hazel :smile:
Hello, what date in September do our 2022 students start at university! I’m presuming it’ll be later in the month, but just curious. Thanks in advance.
Term starts on Monday 26th, but being a fresher I suspect they will be asked to go a week earlier. It’s all new to me but that’s what I have been getting.

Term dates are clear on the website.

Next year (2023) is VERY different as they move two a two semester system from the traditional 3 term as it is now.
I’ve just seen on the university website that freshers weekend is 24th and 25th September, does this mean they start that date or earlier in the week?
I’ve just seen on the university website that freshers weekend is 24th and 25th September, does this mean they start that date or earlier in the week?

Hi there,

Our undergraduate welcome weekend is Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 September 2022. This is when our new undergraduate students will arrive on campus and move into their accommodation. Freshers' Week and induction activities will then start on Monday 26 September. You can find out more information on our new student webpages.

I hope this helps,
Helen
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Our undergraduate welcome weekend is Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 September 2022. This is when our new undergraduate students will arrive on campus and move into their accommodation. Freshers' Week and induction activities will then start on Monday 26 September. You can find out more information on our new student webpages.

I hope this helps,
Helen

It does help - thank you.

I assume you get "slots" as it will be a little chaotic otherwise. I also assume there is no option to move in the week leading up? My other daughter at a different Uni had that option. Their welcome weekend was as usual, but they allowed students to move in from the Monday previous to help with staggering it.
That was during covid times, so maybe thats why?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by NonNative
It does help - thank you.

I assume you get "slots" as it will be a little chaotic otherwise. I also assume there is no option to move in the week leading up? My other daughter at a different Uni had that option. Their welcome weekend was as usual, but they allowed students to move in from the Monday previous to help with staggering it.
That was during covid times, so maybe thats why?

Hi,

Once the student's room number is confirmed (after results day), we will email their University of York account with a link for them to book an arrival slot so that arrivals are staggered. There will be lots of help on hand from our current students to help you move in!

I don't think that there is an option to move in early, but you can double check this with the accommodation team at [email protected].

Hi, my son is transferring unis and coming to York for the second year onwards but living at home. Will he be assigned a college or doe she choose? When is this done as we have just been given the nod?
Hi!

I'm glad you love York and the campus!

To answer your questions:

1. If you are referring to the Complete University Guide league table, we are ranked 18th for 2022 :smile:

2. I'm sorry to hear that you feel pressure to choose your offers. Although the accommodation is allocated by taking into the application date into account, our guarantee window is open until 9th June 2022, so that should give your student plenty of time to carefully consider all their offers.

3. If you apply to York as a new first-year undergraduate student for 2022/23 entry and receive an offer from us, we will guarantee you an offer of a room in single-occupancy accommodation that is owned, managed or approved by the University, provided that you complete the following steps by 9 June 2022:
- accept York as your firm choice
- submit your accommodation application and pay an advance payment of £200 to secure your room.

Insurance offer holders can still apply for accommodation but will not be eligible for our accommodation guarantee.

We've also opened two new colleges to increase capacity (Anne Lister opened in late 2021 and David Kato will be open from September 2022)

4. Most students in 2nd and 3rd year want to live off campus in private accommodation. We do have some on campus accommodation available as well. It's up to students to decide when to start looking for accommodation for the following year. In my first year, I signed for a student house in January for second year and then the following year I was far more organised and signed in late November! That was a few years ago though, so every year is different.

5. We're hoping that teaching will be face-to-face in September but the Covid 19 situation is always evolving! We have a Covid 19 information page for prospective students and a page for current students so I would check these for any updates, and if the situation changes, we would signpost any key information on these pages.

6. We have this page on our website with information about strike actions that are happening and FAQs including impact to teaching and support for students.

I hope this helps!

Hello,
A random question, but do you know if the student accommodation have a mirror in the room? My daughter will be in James en suit.
I assumed there would be one but my daughter thinks the opposite.
The one on the tour on the website does!
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=2G1tShCDrN9
Original post by mgjinvicta
Hi, my son is transferring unis and coming to York for the second year onwards but living at home. Will he be assigned a college or doe she choose? When is this done as we have just been given the nod?

Hi @mgjinvicta,

I've just called our Accommodation team to check this and he will be allocated a college, usually this is based upon what course he's taking as they like to allocate people the same college who are on the same course. This will be communicated with him via email but if you'd like to get in touch with the Accommodation team please feel free to email them at [email protected] or call +44 (0)1904 322165.

Thanks and let us know if you need anything else,
Bea
Hello,
A random question, but do you know if the student accommodation have a mirror in the room? My daughter will be in James en suit.
I assumed there would be one but my daughter thinks the opposite.

Hi there,
I've just called our Accommodation team to check this, I can confirm the room will have a mirror.

Bea
Hi there,
I've just called our Accommodation team to check this, I can confirm the room will have a mirror.

Bea

Hi Bea, on another post a parent has said she heard James beds are not a standard single size but longer? Asking as i have already bought son’s fitted sheet and mattress topper…

Hoping its just a rumour and the beds are indeed a standard size!!

thank you!
Original post by Yorkmum69
Hi Bea, on another post a parent has said she heard James beds are not a standard single size but longer? Asking as i have already bought son’s fitted sheet and mattress topper…

Hoping its just a rumour and the beds are indeed a standard size!!

thank you!

Hi,

Just to confirm, beds in Constantine College and Langwith College are 3/4 size, Band 2-3 rooms in David Kato and Anne Lister College are 3/4 size, and Band 4 rooms in David Kato and Anne Lister College are double size.

All other colleges have standard single beds, so your sheet and topper should be absolutely fine!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending