The Student Room Group

Physician associate application 2023

Hello All!

Background information: I studied and achieved a 1st class BSc hons degree in biomedical science last May and spent the first 6 months after graduation working as a laboratory analyst and I am currently working as a clinical healthcare assistant. I am going to apply for the physician associate masters for both the January 2023 and September 2023 entry and wanted to start a thread where we can all ask questions or share information to help each other on our journey to become physician associates! Have any of you began writing your personal statements and if so for what universities? Also for anyone currently studying the course what advice would you give to applicants in terms of experience/skills to highlight on our applications/interviews? I would love to hear the experiences of both current PA students and of those applying to the course such as your educational and employment/skill background.

Many thanks in advance for the advice and information shared. I hope that at the end of the year we can all be celebrating our acceptance onto the course!

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am planning to apply for the physician associate course for Septmeber 2023 entry. Currently finishing 2nd year nursing. I was thinking of applying to universities in the North West. Which universities are you applying to?
hiya i’m also planning on applying for the 2023 entry! i’ve really been struggling to get work experience however :frown:
Oh my god , it’s so much worse after corona , I have asked 7 gp , hospital but no luck , I am just STRESSED at this point . *
Reply 4
Hi me name suab Ha
Original post by bookworm212
Hello All!

Background information: I studied and achieved a 1st class BSc hons degree in biomedical science last May and spent the first 6 months after graduation working as a laboratory analyst and I am currently working as a clinical healthcare assistant. I am going to apply for the physician associate masters for both the January 2023 and September 2023 entry and wanted to start a thread where we can all ask questions or share information to help each other on our journey to become physician associates! Have any of you began writing your personal statements and if so for what universities? Also for anyone currently studying the course what advice would you give to applicants in terms of experience/skills to highlight on our applications/interviews? I would love to hear the experiences of both current PA students and of those applying to the course such as your educational and employment/skill background.

Many thanks in advance for the advice and information shared. I hope that at the end of the year we can all be celebrating our acceptance onto the course!

Hey, thanks for starting this thread...! I have currently just finished my BSc in Biochemistry, and I am also planning to apply for January 2023 and September 2023 entries just like yourself...! I am planning to apply to Keele university and Queen Mary's University London for the January entry. And I still haven't decided on where to apply for September, but I was thinking of applying to St. Georges. However, St Georges seems to be very strict on its entry requirements, and they require all applicants to have some academic study in Physiology and anatomy. As part of my BSc degree, I didn't have any modules on Physiology and Anatomy, so I need to do an additional NVQ Level 4 Course on Physiology. Does anyone know where I can do this course? I have been searching all over google for this course and have been unsuccessful. Many thanks...!
Hi, I have just graduated with a 1st class biomed degree, but I am planning on applying for 2024 entry however would it still be ok if I joined this thread? I'm planning on working for a year as a nursing assistant so I can gain enough clinical work experience before applying. I'm also getting slightly scared that it's becoming more competitive as more and more unis are introducing the UCAT into the admissions process.
Yep I agree most uni are going from 2:2 to 2:1 aswell as introducing UCAT , the university of Manchester needs a ucat to apply for entry from 2023 but I still think before majority of the university will introduce in next 3 to 5 years
Hello All!

Hey I have applied for January 2023. I have done my casper test and I'm just waiting to hear back
Reply 9
Hi, I was just wondering whether or not it’s worth applying without any experience in clinical or healthcare places? I don’t know if they take experience heavily into account and was looking to get some more insight on that. Thanks
Is Keele still taking on applicants for January 2023 entry?
Original post by Znbfx
Hi, I was just wondering whether or not it’s worth applying without any experience in clinical or healthcare places? I don’t know if they take experience heavily into account and was looking to get some more insight on that. Thanks

It's definitely worth applying because I know a few people on my biomed course got straight in without any healthcare experience. Universities will definitely be lenient with work experience because of the pandemic. You could always use transferable skills from other stuff like retail and hospitality etc. Its not as competitive right now because not as many people know about it yet but it would definitely improve your chances if you can get some.
Original post by SongBird2020
It's definitely worth applying because I know a few people on my biomed course got straight in without any healthcare experience. Universities will definitely be lenient with work experience because of the pandemic. You could always use transferable skills from other stuff like retail and hospitality etc. Its not as competitive right now because not as many people know about it yet but it would definitely improve your chances if you can get some.

Yep I agree with this . You just have to show them the experiences and skills that you currently have , how can they will make you a good physician associate .
Reply 13
Original post by Pinkpantherx5
Hey I have applied for January 2023. I have done my casper test and I'm just waiting to hear back

Hi everyone,
There is a QMUL PA specific thread on here called QMUL Physician Associate Jan 2023. Please have a look and let’s interact there!
Reply 14
Hi all,

Hi all,

I know you can get a post grad loan for this course (around 11k) and the HEE loan of around 5k but are those the only grants available? If so, that still leaves a pretty large amount left to find for the second year of tuition and living costs.

How are you guys all planning to fund your course? Any advice greatly appreciated :smile:

I think I would love to go back to uni to do either PA or medicine but I am being hugely held back by financial fears!

Hello All!

Original post by MS_1995
Hi all,

Hi all,

I know you can get a post grad loan for this course (around 11k) and the HEE loan of around 5k but are those the only grants available? If so, that still leaves a pretty large amount left to find for the second year of tuition and living costs.

How are you guys all planning to fund your course? Any advice greatly appreciated :smile:

I think I would love to go back to uni to do either PA or medicine but I am being hugely held back by financial fears!

hi , I know that universities do sometimes offer partial or full scholarships so you could perhaps look into applying for that? I have saved up some money to help cover the expenses of this course and also fortunately will some help with family regarding finances and accommodation so if that's also an option definitely look into that :smile:
Hey all, I'm still waiting to hear back from QMUL and UEL. I applied to UEL last week when the application portal opened up again. Hoping to hear back from both unis soon with an interview invitation- the wait is making me so so anxious. Has anyone heard anything back from either uni with any news. I wasn't initially given my student number from UEL and I called them about it and that's when I was given my login to access the applicant portal and see that I was required to send further documents so maybe its worth also calling up your prospective universities to see if they can give you an update on your application.
Reply 17
Hello All!

Hi,

I am a qualified HCP with a first class degree in Podiatric Medicine and 10yrs experience in clinical practice, I'm also looking at applying for the MPAS course as well. I've only just started looking however and haven't done anything yet in terms of preparation for the application, so very interested to hear what everyone else is doing/recommending. Have you applied yet? Any recommendations on where to get started? I am hoping to apply at St Georges, as I am based near London.
Original post by mauryF
Hi,

I am a qualified HCP with a first class degree in Podiatric Medicine and 10yrs experience in clinical practice, I'm also looking at applying for the MPAS course as well. I've only just started looking however and haven't done anything yet in terms of preparation for the application, so very interested to hear what everyone else is doing/recommending. Have you applied yet? Any recommendations on where to get started? I am hoping to apply at St Georges, as I am based near London.

Hi, I would check your prospective universities entry requirements in terms of experience, grades, personal statements and other tests they may require you to do/have. For St Georges they require for you to do a UCAT test (which i have done in September) so id recommend you looking into that. I'm applying to St Georges too but just editing my personal statement.
Hi all , I've just been received an interview invitation today from QMUL! Has anyone else received one and if so how are you preparing for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending