The Student Room Group

final year internships

does anyone know what firms are open for final year internships that don't require a Masters degree lined up?

alternatively, those that don't require proof of a Masters degree i.e., you can say you're looking to do one, but you drop it

looking at corporate banking and global treasury services
bump
Bumping again.

Would really appreciate guidance on if I can actually apply to internships in my final year. I am NOT going for investment banking, but rather for Corporate Banking functions, specifically client-facjng roles within Treasury FX, cash management, payments, trade finance, global receivables etc. So, Global Treasury Services.

Or would I just be able to apply to graduate schemes? I do have some experience e.g., Senior Consultant at a pro-bono management consulting firm for 8 weeks.
Most corp banking places would've finished recruiting 4 months ago. I can't think of a bank that would be recruiting this late given summer is starting in 2 months...

You should start thinking about networking for whatever you can get in banks that don't have a formal program. Likewise graduate schemes for most banks will be closed until fall for the 2023 cycle.
Original post by anonuser99
Most corp banking places would've finished recruiting 4 months ago. I can't think of a bank that would be recruiting this late given summer is starting in 2 months...

You should start thinking about networking for whatever you can get in banks that don't have a formal program. Likewise graduate schemes for most banks will be closed until fall for the 2023 cycle.

Hi,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm a second-year student atm and I've not managed to secure anything as of yet. I have an assessment centre lined up for a bank, but it's more corp banking for SME's and a general exposure to all areas of the bank during the internship. I've had AC's previously at a top BB (Payments) and one of the top three Japanese banks (european treasury).

My question was if I would be able to apply for internships again next year, as a third year? I've seen previous posts where they say it's possible, but they're 7-9 years old, so I wanted to seek more recent advice.

If I can do summer internships next year for this field, is it worth doing, or should I apply for graduate schemes?

Thanks!
Original post by econhelp525
Hi,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm a second-year student atm and I've not managed to secure anything as of yet. I have an assessment centre lined up for a bank, but it's more corp banking for SME's and a general exposure to all areas of the bank during the internship. I've had AC's previously at a top BB (Payments) and one of the top three Japanese banks (european treasury).

My question was if I would be able to apply for internships again next year, as a third year? I've seen previous posts where they say it's possible, but they're 7-9 years old, so I wanted to seek more recent advice.

If I can do summer internships next year for this field, is it worth doing, or should I apply for graduate schemes?

Thanks!

Yes you can at some banks. Not sure what these banks are for corp banking. Citi definitely allows final years. Barc might, JP might. GS, MS, CS, and UBS don't have corp banks. DB definitely does not allow without doing a masters. Unfortunately don't have much knowledge outside of BBs on this.

In answer to your last question, depends on what your CV currently looks like. Also I'm not 100% sure what the landscape for corp banking grad schemes is like.
Original post by anonuser99
Yes you can at some banks. Not sure what these banks are for corp banking. Citi definitely allows final years. Barc might, JP might. GS, MS, CS, and UBS don't have corp banks. DB definitely does not allow without doing a masters. Unfortunately don't have much knowledge outside of BBs on this.

In answer to your last question, depends on what your CV currently looks like. Also I'm not 100% sure what the landscape for corp banking grad schemes is like.

Thanks for your reply and input. That's great to hear that I would be able to apply again next year. In regards to my CV, at the moment my only directly finance related role is an insight week into Aviva from 2017, other than that there's my Senior Consultant internship, and executive committee position at my university's economics society. Fully appreciate that perhaps your specialities lie outside of corpbanking, thank you anyway for your help!

Just for some reference, in my previous assessment centres, they were not particularly demanding, no technical skills beyond "do you know what a derivative is" - and at JPM it was even more straightforward: "what does this division do, why this division, what interests you in the financial markets today?". As far as I know, corpbanking is pretty heavy on relationship management, which I've done a lot of from my roles.
Original post by econhelp525
Thanks for your reply and input. That's great to hear that I would be able to apply again next year. In regards to my CV, at the moment my only directly finance related role is an insight week into Aviva from 2017, other than that there's my Senior Consultant internship, and executive committee position at my university's economics society. Fully appreciate that perhaps your specialities lie outside of corpbanking, thank you anyway for your help!

Just for some reference, in my previous assessment centres, they were not particularly demanding, no technical skills beyond "do you know what a derivative is" - and at JPM it was even more straightforward: "what does this division do, why this division, what interests you in the financial markets today?". As far as I know, corpbanking is pretty heavy on relationship management, which I've done a lot of from my roles.

Did you end up applying for a final year internship or a graduate scheme? And did you end up getting the role you want? I'm currently in a similar situation where I do not have a summer internship offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending