The Student Room Group

how do i find out what i believe in

how do i find out what i believe in as i have been raised as a strict catholic but i dont think i believe in that but at the same time i don't know what i believe in
Reply 1
Maybe try going to different churches or mosques and see what you like
Original post by Carys Allan
how do i find out what i believe in as i have been raised as a strict catholic but i dont think i believe in that but at the same time i don't know what i believe in

Try to do some self-reflection and use how you feel about your strict Catholic upbringing to determine what your values are, what is important to you, and what dogma/doctrines (if any!) make the most sense to you!

That said, don't rush yourself. There's no need to 'believe' in anything, or if you do feel you believe in something, to be able to immediately identify and categorise what that is :nah:

I hope you find the following interesting:

Look into the Qur'an for yourselves:

https://www.clearquran.com/

Or as a pdf version with explanatory notes:

https://islampdfs1.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/the-meanings-of-the-noble-quran.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)

How are things going 5 months down the line, are you still trying to figure things out?
Reply 5

Belief isn't something you can control. It is something that just happens as a result of the personal assimilation of information in the context of experience and environment.

But bear in mind that you don't have to believe in anything. Instead you can accept or reject things on the basis of evidence and rational argument.
You don't need to have a set belief system, even though religion can make you think that you do.
Reply 7

One way is a long journey of disappointment finding out what/who you don't believe in.
The other is to face up to the one believable person and hear the call to be born again . . . to receive His Spirit like all the original disciples did (Acts 2v4, 33)
Original post by NJA
One way is a long journey of disappointment finding out what/who you don't believe in.
The other is to face up to the one believable person and hear the call to be born again . . . to receive His Spirit like all the original disciples did (Acts 2v4, 33)

Can you explain this in layman's terms?
Reply 9
Original post by toxicgamage56
Can you explain this in layman's terms?

Yes, we begin alone, knowing that we don't know the future and soon seeing faults in others and their philosophies and religions.

You can go straight to your creator by whole-heartedly calling upon him, desiring his answer
. . . he desires you to know him, when you allow him to come to you you will know, amongst other things you will get an unlearned new prayer language, "speaking in tongues".
Original post by NJA
Yes, we begin alone, knowing that we don't know the future and soon seeing faults in others and their philosophies and religions.

You can go straight to your creator by whole-heartedly calling upon him, desiring his answer
. . . he desires you to know him, when you allow him to come to you you will know, amongst other things you will get an unlearned new prayer language, "speaking in tongues".

Thank you, I now comprehend.
Reply 11
Original post by toxicgamage56
Thank you, I now comprehend.

Years ago I acted on this comprehension . . . and got the desired result .. . have a good evening!
Close your eyes and count to 10.
read some heidegger
you don't have to subscribe to any religious ideology (although he was a big christian...)
read more. this is the answer.
Original post by NJA
amongst other things you will get an unlearned new prayer language, "speaking in tongues".

Odd that an all-powerful all-knowing God would need anyone to pray in a specific language, particularly one that the praying person can't understand!
In fact odd that anyone should need to pray at all. After all God knows everyone's inner thoughts, desires and needs doesn't he?
Reply 16
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Odd that an all-powerful all-knowing God would need anyone to pray in a specific language, particularly one that the praying person can't understand!
In fact odd that anyone should need to pray at all. After all God knows everyone's inner thoughts, desires and needs doesn't he?

It's about coming to agreement with God, he understands us but we fall short inour understanding of him, as you have just demonstrated .. . therefore . . .

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps our weaknesses: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

People often testify of experiencing a new peace ("that passes understanding" after allowing God to lead them in prayer in this way, I found I understood many words in the new testament . .. because I now had the new Life they describe whereas before I didn't so I just hoped the opinions of older people were right.
Original post by NJA
It's about coming to agreement with God, he understands us but we fall short inour understanding of him, as you have just demonstrated .. . therefore . . .

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps our weaknesses: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

People often testify of experiencing a new peace ("that passes understanding" after allowing God to lead them in prayer in this way, I found I understood many words in the new testament . .. because I now had the new Life they describe whereas before I didn't so I just hoped the opinions of older people were right.

You just iterated my point further. So God who knows all, knows all your thoughts, desires, needs somehow needs a "spirit" to intercede?
Nope, just doesn't hang together. Just as most of mainstream religious doctrine doesn't hang together. Just needs the tiniest bit of critical thinking to expose this kind of thing.

And it should be patently clear what you should pray for if you really believe and that is to pray to understand what God's will is. You pray daily or weekly the Lord's Prayer which says "Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven".

Hence no matter what you want or what anyone else wants, it's of absolutely no consequence because God's Will is going to be done regardless. He's in control and nothing you do can change that Will, or can change his mind. So if Aunty Mable is dying of cancer, that's God's Will because he either caused it or permitted it to happen. So no point praying for her to be healed. It's God's Will. You simply have to pray to understand God's Will and what that means for you.

It's astounding how many Christians can't exercise even the most basic bit of critical thinking but I have sympathy as I was indoctrinated as a child and had to mature to the point of being brave enough to challenge the doctrine and learn rational thinking. People profess in one voice that God is all-knowing, and yet perform actions which are actually blasphemous to that concept. For example there are Christian church denominations where women wear head scarves or other head coverings which they say is to demonstrate subsurvience / obedience first to God and second to their husbands. The thing is, if God knows your every thought, your desires and your heart then you have no need to wear a head covering because God knows whether you are subservient or not. So too should their husbands if they truly know and love them. So who are they really wearing the head covering for? It's all just a part of the psychological techniques used by Churches for compliance. I'm so glad to be free of all that silly nonsense and to have become free from the chains and able to totally reappraise the Bible and learn it's true hidden messages.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
You just iterated my point further. So God who knows all, knows all your thoughts, desires, needs somehow needs a "spirit" to intercede?
Nope, just doesn't hang together. Just as most of mainstream religious doctrine doesn't hang together. Just needs the tiniest bit of critical thinking to expose this kind of thing.

And it should be patently clear what you should pray for if you really believe and that is to pray to understand what God's will is. You pray daily or weekly the Lord's Prayer which says "Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven".

Hence no matter what you want or what anyone else wants, it's of absolutely no consequence because God's Will is going to be done regardless. He's in control and nothing you do can change that Will, or can change his mind. So if Aunty Mable is dying of cancer, that's God's Will because he either caused it or permitted it to happen. So no point praying for her to be healed.

It's astounding how many Christians can't exercise even the most basic bit of critical thinking but I have sympathy as I was indoctrinated as a child and had to mature to the point of being brave enough to challenge the doctrine and learn rational thinking.

People profess in one voice that God is all-knowing, and yet perform actions which are actually blasphemous to that concept.
For example there are Christian church denominations where women wear head scarves or other head coverings which they say is to demonstrate subsurvience / obedience first to God and second to their husbands.
The thing is, if God knows your every thought, your desires and your heart then you have no need to wear a head covering because God knows whether you are subservient or not. So too should their husbands if they truly know and love them. So who are they really wearing the head covering for? It's all just a part of the psychological techniques used by Churches for compliance. I'm so glad to be free of all that silly nonsense and to have become free from the chains and able to totally reappraise the Bible and learn it's true hidden messages.

PRSOM

The wearing headcoverings when within religious premises and some religious services in any premises tends to be either the long standing custom of the specific sect/movement that they belong to or the modesty agenda with puritanical motivations targeted mostly at post-pubescent females (the latter generally with some link to the old testament or a culty type of fringe leader).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending