The Student Room Group

In your experience?

what does Imperial want to see from its applicants to medicine?

I mean I have good GCSE's - 8A*, 2A and a B (*crappy 'additional maths' last minute entry what a load of sandra bullocks rant pasted here*)

and I'm currently doing AS levels, and hopefully, if i work hard, am going to get as' in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and critical thinking (which doesnt count as a proper AS, unlike the others).

Ive got 3/4 weeks work experience arranged for the coming year, i do volunteer work at my hospital and with my SVP group, at an older persons care home, and in terms of extra curriculars (bear in mind i dont do this all at once) i have helping running an art club, school council, head peer mentor, president of human rights group, debating society.

I know it just sounds like one of those LOOK AT MY APPLICATION threads, but I want to know, do Imperial actually want this kinda thing? It has the perfect course for me, I think, and I'm determined to have a strong application to it. i know its <i>really</i> competitive, but is there anything else i could be doing, like next academic year before i apply to boost my application??
Reply 1
as long as you have a strong personal statement (which you should with all that!) and a good reference and you get all As you should have a really good chance :smile:
Reply 2
The usuals and good GCSEs in sciences especially
All the BMAT universities think the test is very important
Reply 4
Yeah it's all about the BMAT and straight A predictions with imperial - I had loads of experience good gcses (though not as good as yours), AAB predicted, 16.9 in BMAT then rejected without interview...
Reply 5
When I applied (admittedly a while ago - 2003 entry) I was called for interview quite quickly & recommended for scholarship consideration if I made them my firm, so presumably had things they were looking for then - big change now is probably the BMAT!:

Academics:
GCSEs = A*s and a B (unrelated subject, ahem)
AS levels (declared) = 5As (excluding GS)
A2 levels predicted = 5As (including GS)

Work experience:
Mostly a fortnight of doctor stalking, in a range of departments including some slightly quirkier ones.
(Interview panel seemed quite impressed by this - although I think from volunteering with admissions-y stuff and reading TSR the norm is more and more work experience these days so probably wouldn't stand out as much now!)
Volunteering - intermittently over about 5 years.

Extracurriculars:
The standard prefecting etc.
Then the most quantifiable other interest achievements were in sports - county squad, senior colours.
(My particular panel seemed into the sports aspect in terms of what else i could contribute!)

& interview - was with an awesome panel & lots of fun.

Hope this might help.
applemilk1992

I mean I have good GCSE's - 8A*, 2A and a B (*crappy 'additional maths' last minute entry what a load of sandra bullocks rant pasted here*)

and I'm currently doing AS levels, and hopefully, if i work hard, am going to get as' in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and critical thinking (which doesnt count as a proper AS, unlike the others).

Ive got 3/4 weeks work experience arranged for the coming year, i do volunteer work at my hospital and with my SVP group, at an older persons care home, and in terms of extra curriculars (bear in mind i dont do this all at once) i have helping running an art club, school council, head peer mentor, president of human rights group, debating society.

I know it just sounds like one of those LOOK AT MY APPLICATION threads, but I want to know, do Imperial actually want this kinda thing? It has the perfect course for me, I think, and I'm determined to have a strong application to it. i know its <i>really</i> competitive, but is there anything else i could be doing, like next academic year before i apply to boost my application??

Strong academics (a string of A*s, As at AS) are standard and, well, I suppose a good PS is mandatory for entry to any med school! It sounds like you have plenty of w/e, how you reflect about it on your PS is what will set you apart from other applicants. But as others have said, the BMAT is the real deciding factor when you consider that almost every other applicant will also have excellent academics/work experience/PS.

If you've just started your AS levels then the most important thing is to definitely make sure you get those As at the end of the year. And continue with the voluntary stuff as long term commitment is better than week long stints.

Good luck!
Reply 7
BMAT is v. important at Imperial. My friend only had 2 A*s at GCSE but had a great BMAT and so got an interview and offer!
Reply 8
applemilk1992

Those are fine. I had 9A*, 2A and 2B, so don't threat about your B, it's not going to hold you back.

Once again, that's all good. Plenty of people get interviews with only 4 AS and 3 A-Levels, so the fact you're doing 5's great.

I know I keep on repeating this, but if my experience is anything to go by, once more this is more than enough. I got an interview with only 5 days at work exp at an A&E ward (with no good excuse why I didn't do more other than it was hard to get a placement) so your applications looks great in my opinion.

I don't know what Imperial 'want', but reading what you put it seems you're way more qualified for a place than I was, so you've got a good chance for an interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending