The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

Liverpool Hope University Social Life

Hi, just wondering what the social life is like at Liverpool Hope University compared to Liverpool John Moores. Especially because LHU is a smaller university so they will obviously be less people, I was just wondering if there are many opportunities for events, nights out, societies and how easy would it be to make friends with other people? I'm considering both this university and LJMU, The courses are pretty much identical so my only deciding factor between them will be social aspects, I was wondering if anyone that attends either University will be able to help with this?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, just wondering what the social life is like at Liverpool Hope University compared to Liverpool John Moores. Especially because LHU is a smaller university so they will obviously be less people, I was just wondering if there are many opportunities for events, nights out, societies and how easy would it be to make friends with other people? I'm considering both this university and LJMU, The courses are pretty much identical so my only deciding factor between them will be social aspects, I was wondering if anyone that attends either University will be able to help with this?

Hi :smile:

I am a recent graduate of Liverpool Hope so I thought I could help with this.

LHU has around 7,000 students and although it is smaller than some other unis in Liverpool, there's still so much to do on and off campus. As we're a campus based university, a large portion of our students live on campus meaning that there's always something going on.

We have over 80+ sports and societies depending on what you're interested in. From performing arts to football to cheerleading, gaming and cheese and biscuits society, there's always something for you to get involved in. I was involved in Hope's Musical Theatre Society and during my time at uni the society really helped me expand my circle of friends and take advantage of university life. We have a freshers fair at the start of term where you can meet all of the societies and get some freebies.

I also met a lot of my friends on my course as I stayed at home during my studies. With hope being slightly smaller, it is easier to make friends and get to know people because there may be 50 people on your course rather than 250. This means that there's less names to remember and you start to form frienships a lot easier and more naturally at the start of term.

In terms of nightlife, Liverpool Hope has a great SU bar called Our Place. Our place hold events throughout the year from drag shows to big shop bingo and silent discos. There's always something going on and lots of students use the bar to predrink before going into town. Around campus there are also local bars and restaurants that you can go with your friends and town is only a 15 minute bus ride away.

If you want to be constantly in the city centre, John Moores may be more your speed. However, remember once you get to exam season and essay writing, you may also want a balance of both fun and excitement as well as having somewhere where you can relax and study. Hope is the perfect balance for this as it's in a suburb surrounded by parks but also has a community of students who enjoy a night out.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Laura
Liverpool
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

As someone who has been to both universities and graduated from both, the social life at LJMU is far superior to that of LHU. Would 100% recommend LJMU over LHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending