The Student Room Group

is dietetics a good career?

i think i want to work for the NHS as a dietitian in the future but i dont like chem, and i'd need to do an access course because i didn't take bio at A Level

not many unis offer it esp Russell group, do you know why?

and does it have career progression / rewarding / decently paid etc because i haven't met anyone whos done the degree

is it a career low in demand is that why unis dont really offer it? how long does it take to qualify?
Original post by t0es
i think i want to work for the NHS as a dietitian in the future but i dont like chem, and i'd need to do an access course because i didn't take bio at A Level

and does it have career progression / rewarding / decently paid etc because i haven't met anyone whos done the degree

is it a career low in demand is that why unis dont really offer it? how long does it take to qualify?

There is a lot of information on the NHS website here, including where to study, qualifications needed, etc:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/dietitian

It doesn't matter where you get your degree if you want to work for the NHS. Most of the universities that offer allied health professional courses were former polytechnics - they offered more vocational courses compared to 'traditional' unis.

In terms of career opprtunities, the link above shows 'Live vacancies' so you can get an idea of the positions and salaries available with experience.

This course also qualifies for the NHS bursary of £5,000 per year to help with expenses. You can also gain your qualification with a degree apprenticeship - so you earn while you learn.
Reply 2
Original post by t0es

did you go ahead with it? I also want to become a dietitian

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending