The Student Room Group

What is mainly taught in pharmacy?

Pharmacy is mainly chemistry. That is what i first thought about the degree but other people around me are insisting it also has plenty of biology. I am interested in both chemistry and biology although I would like a more bio centric degree. Is pharmacy interesting? What are the job prospects for pharmacist? Is a B pharmacy, pharmacy d or pharmacy d clinical a better degree? What do you learn in a pharmacy degree?
Original post by Idkidk1412
Pharmacy is mainly chemistry. That is what i first thought about the degree but other people around me are insisting it also has plenty of biology. I am interested in both chemistry and biology although I would like a more bio centric degree. Is pharmacy interesting? What are the job prospects for pharmacist? Is a B pharmacy, pharmacy d or pharmacy d clinical a better degree? What do you learn in a pharmacy degree?

Hi @Idkidk1412

Pharmacy is an amalgamation of many different subjects.
At the University of Huddersfield, biology, chemistry and maths are important elements of the course. This enables students to combine the theory of science with developing and applying the practical and professional skills needed as a pharmacist.

The job prospects related to the MPharm degree are vast. The three main jobs include: Community pharmacists, hospital pharmacists and a pharmacist in industry. Whilst community and hospital pharmacy are more patient facing, industry pharmacy involves a 'behind the scenes' aspect of pharmacy i.e. developing new drugs or improving existing drugs.

The first year of pharmacy at the University of Huddersfield is made up of 5 modules these are:
Pharmacy Practice 1
Pharmaceutical Chemistry 1
Human Physiology and Pathology
Formulation and Compounding of Medicines
Scientific Basis of Drug Action

You may want to visit: https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information :smile:

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions!
Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending