The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaq1
yeah - trying to continue the spirit of talking random on this thread. OP has posted some random statistics and the subsequent discussion is meandering all over the place.

Sometimes the convo's got to flow a little, especially as OP's posts are quite flippant and idealistic.
Original post by aaq1
interesting - I know SW engineers with 5 years experience earning £100k+ in London - is that not enough to live in / commute to London.

Many finance, management consulting, banking opportunities are in London. How do people on those courses survive?

You've misinterpreted what I meant - sure I could/would earn enough to live in or commute to London. I've been headhunted and offered it, more than once. No thanks. I value living in the countryside and having a commute of less than half an hour a heck of a lot more than I value having a six figure salary.

Doesn't mean I'm right, or better than someone who doesn't feel that way. It's a personal choice.
Original post by Muttley79
Some of those papers are for a completely different spec so it's pointless doing that many past papers on irrelevant topics.

I won't do all the questions under timed conditions and will utilise the mark schemes with great detail. :wink: lol

Some topics are still very similar, especially in Probability, Normal Distribution, Binomial Expansion, Complex Numbers, Vectors, Series and so on, so it is only good to practice. It took me 1 week to organise all the past papers for AQA, OCR, OCR MEI, EDEXCEL, CCEA, CIE, WJEC, SQA and IB. So I have the maximum chances of A* success with about 70% or so being an A* grade but I am confident I can achieve A grades in all the 3 papers for Maths as they're about 50% for an A grade.

I can email the papers to you if you like? :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by aaq1
interesting - I know SW engineers with 5 years experience earning £100k+ in London - is that not enough to live in / commute to London.

Many finance, management consulting, banking opportunities are in London. How do people on those courses survive?

He probably is not earning £100k, but a lot of IB candidates are flown to the USA to do MBAs after 2 years. Also Management Consultants and Accountants as well as Tax Accountants are flown to USA as well to do an MBA and they earn £150,000 - £250,000 once they return to London. So perhaps an MBA is very useful afterall. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
I won't do all the questions under timed conditions and will utilise the mark schemes with great detail. :wink: lol

Some topics are still very similar, so it is only good to practice. It took me 1 week to organise all the past papers for AQA, OCR, OCR MEI, EDEXCEL, CCEA, CIE, WJEC, SQA and IB. So I have the maximum chances of A* success with about 70% or so being an A* grade but I am confident I can achieve A grades in all the 3 papers for Maths as they're about 50% for an A grade.

I can email the papers to you if you like? :smile:

I have a whole set of files of papers back to the 1970s in the department ... we don't use many papers from before 2010. A levels went modular in 2000 [P1 to P3] and then the spec changed around 2005 to 4 pure modules [C1 to C4]/2 applied. Then it changed again.

Edexcel have an 'Emporium' online for teacher access which has some even older papers and every paper since 1988

The modular papers were/75 and an A was 80 UMS [no A* at first] the raw mark to UMS varied, In Jan 2009 you had to get 69/75 in C4 for 80 UMS ...
I have a whole set of files of papers back to the 1970s in the department ... we don't use many papers from before 2010. A levels went modular in 2000 [P1 to P3] and then the spec changed around 2005 to 4 pure modules [C1 to C4]/2 applied. Then it changed again.

Edexcel have an 'Emporium' online for teacher access which has some even older papers and every paper since 1988

The modular papers were/75 and an A was 80 UMS [no A* at first] the raw mark to UMS varied, In Jan 2009 you had to get 69/75 in C4 for 80 UMS ...

My cousin's tutor has Maths Emporium, so I got all the papers from 1988 to 2020 as well. :smile: lol

I am also convinced the papers are all good practice, even if looking at the mark schemes. Because the topics have not changed much. Infact, some questions in Statistics and Mechanics are very similar. Also, on YouTube, some videos of successful A* grade achievers said: "I done all the papers from 2005 to 2018." Then they got the A*.
Original post by thegeek888
My cousin's tutor has Maths Emporium, so I got all the papers from 1988 to 2020 as well. :smile: lol

I am also convinced the papers are all good practice, even if looking at the mark schemes. Because the topics have not changed much. Infact, some questions in Statistics and Mechanics are very similar. Also, on YouTube, some videos of successful A* grade achievers said: "I done all the papers from 2005 to 2018." Then they got the A*.

I think I would believe me who has taught hundreds rather than a youtuber.

The tutor should not be sharing papers with you - are they a qualified teacher in a school? They should not have access otherwise.
Original post by Son of the Sea
I think skylark was implying she wouldn't ever want to live in London, regardless of how much she was being paid. It's becoming more and more common now. I spent a while in London and I've left too and plan never to return!

You are going to live in Oxford instead. Great call and that’s exactly what I would do, given the choice.
Original post by skylark2
You've misinterpreted what I meant - sure I could/would earn enough to live in or commute to London. I've been headhunted and offered it, more than once. No thanks. I value living in the countryside and having a commute of less than half an hour a heck of a lot more than I value having a six figure salary.

Doesn't mean I'm right, or better than someone who doesn't feel that way. It's a personal choice.

It’s okay, you don’t have to justify yourself!
Original post by Son of the Sea
Sometimes the convo's got to flow a little, especially as OP's posts are quite flippant and idealistic.

Hitting the nail on the head there!
I can remember when I was in my twenties and would list in my head all the things I expected to happen. Very few of them did. Yet interesting and unexpected things did happen to me, not least being on TSR, which I discovered by accident.

Getting into Oxbridge or any top university is not a given and involves more than just a stellar set of grades. It’s often about flair and natural intelligence, which you have either got or you haven’t.

I would say, yes, work towards your goals, but be open to change and opportunities. If you work hard, who knows which exciting places this will lead you to?
Original post by aaq1
Above everything, attitude is extremely important in life. Seeing a glass half full than half empty - look on the +ves. Purpose is essential.

Success or otherwise is in your mind. You live your whole life inside your mind. It better be a good place.

On a lighter note, if someone can describe being on TSR as interesting, that is the hallmark of positive attitude. Respect!

It seems I have three lives.

One is a mother (a role I love most of all)
Second is my wonderful job, with great customers and amazing colleagues
Third is my TSR life, which I am pretty addicted to. The students are great, and I have many interesting convos on here.
That's incredibly sexist - women go to Oxford too.

For some reason this year-old thread popped up on my screen - this site seems to throw up old threads at random.

"Alumni" is the plural form of both "alumnus" (male) and "alumna" (female). Thus there was and is nothing sexist about referring to Oxford graduates collectively as "alumni". I suggest that Muttley79 owes the unfailingly helpful Oxford Mum an apology.

As Alexander Pope observed in the early eighteenth century, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

Here's the poem in full - it's apposite to this thread, and to this forum in general.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.
Fired at first sight with what the Muse imparts,
In fearless youth we tempt the heights of Arts;
While from the bounded level of our mind
Short views we take, nor see the lengths behind,
But, more advanced, behold with strange surprise
New distant scenes of endless science rise!
So pleased at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o’er the vales, and seem to tread the sky;
The eternal snows appear already past,
And the first clouds and mountains seem the last;
But those attained, we tremble to survey
The growing labours of the lengthened way;
The increasing prospect tires our wandering eyes,
Hills peep o’er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!

Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
(edited 1 month ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending