The Student Room Group

Urgent- medicine/pharmacy

I’m rlly struggling as to which one I should pick.
If I were to do pharmacy ideally I would go into industry, working in medical affairs/ clinical trials. How much scope is there, any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by P_1234
I’m rlly struggling as to which one I should pick.
If I were to do pharmacy ideally I would go into industry, working in medical affairs/ clinical trials. How much scope is there, any advice?

haha I'm the same. I'm gonna do pharma
Reply 2
Original post by Cinnaroll18
haha I'm the same. I'm gonna do pharma

Hahah no way what made u choose pharmacy? Which unis u thinking?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by P_1234

yeah I thought it was just me haha, I'm in year 12, guessing you're in year 13? I'm thinking of John moores, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham and mabye Newcastle? idk about the last few but apparently Nottingham is good. idk about Newcastle. I only just found out that not every uni has a pharma course lol. some unis don't even have biology !! so crazy haha. what unis r u thinking of?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by P_1234

and I only wanted to be a psychiatrist but the thing is med school is so hard and it'd be easy to be a psych bc nobody wants to do it and it has high salaries but I heard you shouldn't study med if you only wanna do one speciality (which is generally true but not for this case) but my ultimate goal is having a biotech company (after joining the army and then working in clinical trials) and for me there is no point struggling with med that needs all As/A* when you can get into pharma with Bs and it has less workload when it can get me the same clinical trial jobs yk what I mean?:smile: hope this helps. what speciality were u considering?
Reply 5
yeah I thought it was just me haha, I'm in year 12, guessing you're in year 13? I'm thinking of John moores, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham and mabye Newcastle? idk about the last few but apparently Nottingham is good. idk about Newcastle. I only just found out that not every uni has a pharma course lol. some unis don't even have biology !! so crazy haha. what unis r u thinking of?

Same idk anyone in the same boat as me. If it were pharmacy I’m thinking Cardiff, ucl and kings at the moment. Ideally would like to do an Mpharm. I just feel like it may be less pressure than medicine but still in a bit of a rocky boat hahaha. Yes I’m year 13 so have to choose quick! Ahhh the stress
Original post by P_1234
Same idk anyone in the same boat as me. If it were pharmacy I’m thinking Cardiff, ucl and kings at the moment. Ideally would like to do an Mpharm. I just feel like it may be less pressure than medicine but still in a bit of a rocky boat hahaha. Yes I’m year 13 so have to choose quick! Ahhh the stress

I haven't really thought about London unis tbh, I might consider them. Cardiff too! Nice. I also wanna do mpharm. I wanna do a PhD after the army in biomedical medical device engineering. aw man, you'll be ok. if you wanna apply to top unis I'd study med tho cus there's no point for pharma and it has the same entry requirements.
Reply 7
and I only wanted to be a psychiatrist but the thing is med school is so hard and it'd be easy to be a psych bc nobody wants to do it and it has high salaries but I heard you shouldn't study med if you only wanna do one speciality (which is generally true but not for this case) but my ultimate goal is having a biotech company (after joining the army and then working in clinical trials) and for me there is no point struggling with med that needs all As/A* when you can get into pharma with Bs and it has less workload when it can get me the same clinical trial jobs yk what I mean?:smile: hope this helps. what speciality were u considering?

Totally get what you mean. Deffo is a lot more pressure and idk if it’s worth it. Maybe dermatology or pediatrics so very long. But also think pharmacy just seems much more flexible. Especially in industry?
Original post by P_1234
Totally get what you mean. Deffo is a lot more pressure and idk if it’s worth it. Maybe dermatology or pediatrics so very long. But also think pharmacy just seems much more flexible. Especially in industry?

ye that's what I thought. pharma is quite flexible I just don't see the point becoming a doctor if you know you'd enjoy working in industry yk? might as well do pharmacy.
Reply 9
I haven't really thought about London unis tbh, I might consider them. Cardiff too! Nice. I also wanna do mpharm. I wanna do a PhD after the army in biomedical medical device engineering. aw man, you'll be ok. if you wanna apply to top unis I'd study med tho cus there's no point for pharma and it has the same entry requirements.

Yeah I believe the entry requirements are also AAB. Just feel I’d have a better chance with those unis if I were to apply for pharmacy!
Reply 10
ye that's what I thought. pharma is quite flexible I just don't see the point becoming a doctor if you know you'd enjoy working in industry yk? might as well do pharmacy.

Yep that is so true. Wasn’t sure about it in terms of opportunity wise. A lot of ppl say there isn’t much scope for some reason. Do medicine just seemed stable I guess?
Original post by P_1234
Yep that is so true. Wasn’t sure about it in terms of opportunity wise. A lot of ppl say there isn’t much scope for some reason. Do medicine just seemed stable I guess?

oh okay. I mean the uk doesn't really make medicines or anything so you'd have to go abroad. also pharmacies only need workers in rural areas like where I live. I didn't realise you live in an urban area. yeah medicine is more stable if you wanna stay in a city in the uk.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by P_1234
Yeah I believe the entry requirements are also AAB. Just feel I’d have a better chance with those unis if I were to apply for pharmacy!

Original post by P_1234

oh okay, how come?
Reply 13
oh okay, how come?

medicine in general is way more competitive. Having a high ucat score and good enough grades still can get you rejected. And the grade requirements are A*AA minimum :frown:
Original post by P_1234
medicine in general is way more competitive. Having a high ucat score and good enough grades still can get you rejected. And the grade requirements are A*AA minimum :frown:

ohh sorry I misread your post! yeah you're definitely right.
Original post by P_1234

and also those unis/being in London is good for networking since u wanna work in clinical trials/industry:smile:) its a rly good idea I think
Reply 16
and also those unis/being in London is good for networking since u wanna work in clinical trials/industry:smile:) its a rly good idea I think

Yes that’s what I was thinking! I think connections would be quite important if I was to go into pharmacy!
Original post by P_1234
Yes that’s what I was thinking! I think connections would be quite important if I was to go into pharmacy!

Original post by P_1234

I mean I think so if you wanna be a locum or work in industry :smile:) btw wanna talk on WhatsApp or something mabye? u seem interesting haha but up to u
I hesitate to say this because... well I'm applying for med... but I suppose this is an important decision for you.
I would advise you to go into medicine if you do want to go into pharmaceuticals in the future. A medical doctor is highly appealing for nearly all pharmaceutical companies, as they can offer advice for genuine treatment, not just on the lab side of things but the clinical side too. Medical doctors are more sought after than pharmaceutical graduates in general.

And by saying they're "the same job" what do you mean? There is a massive difference between a medical doctor working in pharmaceuticals versus a person with a pharmaceutical doctorATE. You are much more involved in the human side of things as opposed to the technicalities.

Medicine also offers a much wider scope of practice. I'm the same age as you (probably) and will be applying to university. I will, also say, that most of us have not got the experience to decide what we might want in the future, and pharmacy severely limits your abilities if you do indeed decide to turn to other types of research. (Of course you could do post-grad med, that's also another way to go, it just takes a little bit longer)

However, and I don't mean to be rude here, you don't seem to be dedicated enough to put in the work required for medicine. No GOOD aspiring med student would say... ah f- it, I'm screwed anyways why not go for something with lower reqs. There isn't actually any real dedication or passion for medicine here that I can see, which could also mean that pharmacy is a good path. (I could very much be wrong, but this is what I've gauged from the conversation)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Ionomer
I hesitate to say this because... well I'm applying for med... but I suppose this is an important decision for you.
I would advise you to go into medicine if you do want to go into pharmaceuticals in the future. A medical doctor is highly appealing for nearly all pharmaceutical companies, as they can offer advice for genuine treatment, not just on the lab side of things but the clinical side too. Medical doctors are more sought after than pharmaceutical graduates in general.

And by saying they're "the same job" what do you mean? There is a massive difference between a medical doctor working in pharmaceuticals versus a person with a pharmaceutical doctorATE. You are much more involved in the human side of things as opposed to the technicalities.

However, and I don't mean to be rude here, you don't seem to be dedicated enough to put in the work required for medicine. No GOOD aspiring med student would say... ah f- it, I'm screwed anyways why not go for something with lower reqs. There isn't actually any real dedication or passion for medicine here that I can see, which could also mean that pharmacy is a good path. (I could very much be wrong, but this is what I've gauged from the conversation)

Medicine was my first choice, although I’ve been told my ucat is too low and I don’t have a chance unfortunately. (2620 band 2). It’s obviously very competitive so just trying to be realistic.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending