The Student Room Group

do the super rich bribe unis to let their kids in

Scroll to see replies

Scary thought though it is, 2002 is not within the lifetime of most current applicants to Oxford. (Mature students, yes). (Note that the article is from 2011 but it is about an investigation from something which happened in 2002.)
Original post by Reality Check
Maybe nearer to blackmail than bribery, then?

Yes, its either a corrupt favour or its blackmail or it is moral cowardice but any way it wasn't right.

However, the OP's posting was about buying places and this isn't an example of buying a place

If @Thisismyunitsr had simply said that places could be bought 40 years ago, I wouldn't have disagreed with him. I know one girl whose Dad bought her a senior status undergraduate law degree place and there will have been others.
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes, its either a corrupt favour or its blackmail or it is moral cowardice but any way it wasn't right.

However, the OP's posting was about buying places and this isn't an example of buying a place

If @Thisismyunitsr had simply said that places could be bought 40 years ago, I wouldn't have disagreed with him. I know one girl whose Dad bought her a senior status undergraduate law degree place and there will have been others.

Yes, quite - not a case of buying a place/degree.

I also know of at least one person whose degree was the result of generous, purposeful benefaction, rather than academic endeavour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending