The Student Room Group

Is it possible to buy a decent car for £1000?

I passed my theory about a year and a half ago so I don't have a lot of time to pass my practical (until July I think).

I've been thinking about buying a car and learning with my dad until I feel confident enough to try to pass the practical.

My budget is about a grand (because that's about the amount I can use up from savings + a bit on credit card, that won't sink me financially in all other aspects especially with other related things like MOT, insurance, tax etc.)

So my question is, is it possible with the car prices going up, to buy a decent first car for about £1000?

I'm really not too bothered about aesthetics so stuff like colour, scratches etc are not important (unless affecting insurance).

I was thinking about something like a Toyota Aygo but like I said before, I'm not bothered what it is as long as:
1. It drives
2. The insurance doesn't kill me
3. It won't break down within the first couple months

That's the main thing - I don't want to buy a car and then immiediately (within weeks or months) have to put another grand into it just to repair it when things start breaking down.

So, what are the chances I'll be able to find one (and ideally where - so far I've looked mostly on autotrader and other such websites). If it's unlikely, what should my new budget be?
Original post by Mara1680
I passed my theory about a year and a half ago so I don't have a lot of time to pass my practical (until July I think).

I've been thinking about buying a car and learning with my dad until I feel confident enough to try to pass the practical.

My budget is about a grand (because that's about the amount I can use up from savings + a bit on credit card, that won't sink me financially in all other aspects especially with other related things like MOT, insurance, tax etc.)

So my question is, is it possible with the car prices going up, to buy a decent first car for about £1000?

I'm really not too bothered about aesthetics so stuff like colour, scratches etc are not important (unless affecting insurance).

I was thinking about something like a Toyota Aygo but like I said before, I'm not bothered what it is as long as:
1. It drives

That's the main thing - I don't want to buy a car and then immiediately (within weeks or months) have to put another grand into it just to repair it when things start breaking down.

So, what are the chances I'll be able to find one (and ideally where - so far I've looked mostly on autotrader and other such websites). If it's unlikely, what should my new budget be?

It really depends on factors such as transmission do you want a black box mileage.
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_80
It really depends on factors such as transmission do you want a black box mileage.

I 100% want a manual. Don't want a black box and mileage within a reasonable range for the car's age.
I posted this last week to someone asking the same...

What I will say first is £1000 really doesn't buy you a lot of car, especially now.

What I would possibly do is enquire through friends and family first if anyone has an old car they are selling, as you'd likely get a fairer price then and they are less likely to mislead you, even if it's just a daft wee C1 or Aygo to start off.

As above Gumtree, Auto Trader & Facebook have loads of cheap cars (You can't afford anything from an actual auto trader, only private sellers). As much as it may be your only choice, buying old/cheap cars as a new driver with little skills/tools from private sellers can be tricky, They often just want the car gone and don't mind lying or omitting things to get it gone and you have little way to challenge them after you've bought it. When you search cars 1000 and under, you start seeing a lot of 'Spares & Repairs', 'Non Runner' and 'MOT Fail' and the like, avoid all of these, you really want something with a decent 8-12 months of MOT left.

Depending on the make and model, a £1000 car will have a high chance of needing repairs soon, possibly expensive or near fatal ones, there's no getting away from that but there's good ones and bad ones. Ideally you want 1500/1750 to get a bit more choice, but you're still in the cheap end tbh.

1. It drives

It is possible if you look.
Id go for the more common stuff. Cars like the hyundai getz are deffo worth a look (there is deffo plenty of those for sale for under £1000. And i can say from experience that they are reliable).
Try and look for one that has been regularly serviced.
If you buy one for a garage, then at least you have some sort of comeback/warranty if things go wrong.
(edited 1 year ago)
I 100% want a manual. Don't want a black box and mileage within a reasonable range for the car's age.

I dont blame you for not wanting a black box. Work of the devil those things.
It's possible, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. £1k doesn't get you a lot of car. Chances are these cars will often be nearing 15-20 years old, likely on their last legs. And given that people owning cars this age tend to be ones that'll keep a car until it's not worth it. They're likely due a big job, or they've been advised by their garage to get rid before the next MOT.
Yes, it is possible.
Be open to other makes of cars like Ford to maximise your chances of finding a good vehicle.

Always be sure to check that the car comes with full log book & ownership paperwork, it has not been involved in a fatal accident, has at least 50 days mot and does not make any ominous sounds when the seller is driving it or you are.
If you get a bad vibe or feel that something about the seller is off, don't buy.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, it is possible.
Be open to other makes of cars like Ford to maximise your chances of finding a good vehicle.

Always be sure to check that the car comes with full log book & ownership paperwork, it has not been involved in a fatal accident, has at least 50 days mot and does not make any ominous sounds when the seller is driving it or you are.
If you get a bad vibe or feel that something about the seller is off, don't buy.

Remember we don't really get ownership papers in the UK beyond any receipt the seller writes for you, the V5 form is considered the log book but is proof of registration/keeper, not ownership (but is often informally accepted as such). Beyond that you would be looking for a complete service history, but for a £1000 car that's a luxury (none of the cheaper cars I've got had one, just partial) and even MOT, for a 1st car on a limited budget I'd want at least 3-6 months to have a chance to build some money back up for any repairs and get some use out of it first. A long 10-12 month MOT is still a bit of a luxury at this price tbh, but I'd look for that over full service history.

In terms of accidents/write off categories, you obv can't buy any cat A or B cars as not allowed back on the road and I'd avoid any Cat C/S cars as they have taken structural damage with likely further unrecorded damage and stresses plus many insurers won't allow them. However I would consider a Cat D/N car as a cheap option as generally just cosmetic or minor damage, esp if I knew when & what the damage was and how it was repaired. Some insures still might not be keen, but less issues than a cat C
Honestly, I'd say don't get caught up on which car, go for a few test drives. I thought I wanted an Aygo but I hated how the clutch felt! I ended up getting a corsa instead. I bought it on AutoCoinCars, recommend them tbf, some good deals for £1000 or less hun.
If you can, save another £1000 and you can get a decent, possibly even a good used car for that money.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Kallisto
If you can, save another £1000 and you can get a decent, possibly even a good used car for that money.

Another grand is not really an option. I'm in a bit of a rush because I need to pass my driving before June next year otherwise I'll have to re-do my theory. A grand is already a stretch since I don't earn a whole lot and bills gotta be paid.

Once I get my driver's license I'll probably save up for a better car without all this anxiety.
Another grand is not really an option. I'm in a bit of a rush because I need to pass my driving before June next year otherwise I'll have to re-do my theory. A grand is already a stretch since I don't earn a whole lot and bills gotta be paid.

Once I get my driver's license I'll probably save up for a better car without all this anxiety.

Wait a second, do I have this right that student drivers have to pay their own car for driving exam? :eek:
Wait a second, do I have this right that student drivers have to pay their own car for driving exam? :eek:

They can buy & use their own car if they want but most people just rent their instructors car.
Original post by StriderHort
They can buy & use their own car if they want but most people just rent their instructors car.

It is reassuring to know that it is not obliged to use an own car for a driving test or to buy a car just for this purpose. In the other hand drivers need an own car sooner or later.
Reply 15

No, they don't. They can use a car from a driving school they used. But since you need about 40+ lessons on average to learn how to drive, and they're around £25-30 per hour where I live, it comes out to be about £1000-£1200 just for the lessons anyway, so I might just as well get my own car for that money.
With prices increasing, it's tough to find a good car for £1000 these days. I had a similar problem when I was a student. I wanted a cheap, decent car, but finding one that wouldn't need expensive repairs soon was hard. I realized I needed more money to buy a better car.

Latest

Trending

Trending