The Student Room Group

English as a native language

Hi,

since I was taught English from kindergarden (so since I was 5 or so), can I go ahead and declare it as my native language? It is the language I speak most of the time and the language I feel the most comfortable speaking.

Based on sentence 2, we can look up several definitions where indeed the language the speaker is most comfortable with is declared as the "first" (and first=native).

Anyhow, I don't want my US app in the trash can just because I didn't do the TOEFL (but have been studying in English for like 12 years now)...

Also, some schools declare that they let you off with the TOEFL if you are taught in English, but some add in a country where the official language is English... which, of course, being in the Czech republic, I don't meet...
I'd tentatively say yes.
Reply 2
D_o_S
Hi,

since I was taught English from kindergarden (so since I was 5 or so), can I go ahead and declare it as my native language? It is the language I speak most of the time and the language I feel the most comfortable speaking.

Based on sentence 2, we can look up several definitions where indeed the language the speaker is most comfortable with is declared as the "first" (and first=native).

Anyhow, I don't want my US app in the trash can just because I didn't do the TOEFL (but have been studying in English for like 12 years now)...

Also, some schools declare that they let you off with the TOEFL if you are taught in English, but some add in a country where the official language is English... which, of course, being in the Czech republic, I don't meet...

Hmm, I think you should be fine...Email the 'official language must be English' schools to check; if you have a good CR score on SAT those will do most of the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending