The Student Room Group

How can I write a personal statement for 2 completely different courses?

Right now I'm considering studying computer science and law at uni - but definitely leaning more towards computer science. Unfortunately, I don't know the slightest thing about computer science at all (other than the fact that I'm really enjoying coding in HTML and python at the moment). I've practically written a law personal statement which I think is pretty good but I really want a chance at applying to both ( right now I have a better chance of making it into law than computer science - my grades are A*A*A in chemistry, physics and maths and a lot of the unis that I want to go to need an A* in maths) . ANY tips at all right now would be useful because I'm really desperate (the deadline for me to hand in my complete application to my school was last week friday).
Reply 1
Original post by naiola
Right now I'm considering studying computer science and law at uni - but definitely leaning more towards computer science. Unfortunately, I don't know the slightest thing about computer science at all (other than the fact that I'm really enjoying coding in HTML and python at the moment). I've practically written a law personal statement which I think is pretty good but I really want a chance at applying to both ( right now I have a better chance of making it into law than computer science - my grades are A*A*A in chemistry, physics and maths and a lot of the unis that I want to go to need an A* in maths) . ANY tips at all right now would be useful because I'm really desperate (the deadline for me to hand in my complete application to my school was last week friday).

If you think it wouldn't be possible for me to write a personal statement for both. Could you please give me tips on how I could write a personal statement for computer science
Original post by naiola

If you're already beyond the deadline your school has set for completing your application, then there's clearly not sufficient time to write a whole new personal statement for Computer Science - so it seems that this forces your hand somewhat.

It would be almost impossible to write a personal statement that works for both Law and Computer Science: one of the main purposes of a personal statement is to demonstrate you passion and interest in your chosen degree. If you tried to cover both interests (talking about how the law applies to computing, or how computing can be used within law) then I fear you might struggle to show a passion for either.

If you do opt to re-write your personal statement to target Computer Science, then see a huge range of computer science, computing and IT personal statement examples right here on TSR. Hopefully they will inspire you.
Original post by naiola

You're in a right muddle.

1) If you want to do computer science you should apply to 5 computer science degrees and you can always convert to Law at postgraduate level if the career still interests you then. It won't hold you back having a degree in a non law subject.
2) It is concerning that you are focussing on unis that require an A* in maths when that is not your strongest subject. You need to be researching unis that don't have this requirement for your Insurance choice.
3) Don't let you school rush you into submitting a UCAS form before you are ready. If you need to take the Christmas holidays to do it then they should let you take that time and submit it in January. I know schools have internal deadlines but these can be flexible and it's important you get this right.
Why do you want to study a subject for 3-4 years that you “don’t know the slightest thing about” ?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Why do you want to study a subject for 3-4 years that you “don’t know the slightest thing about” ?

That's a fair question. I feel like I would be better suited to a more logic based degree like computer science, i like the flexibilty of being a software engineer and I'm really enjoying coding so far
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
If you're already beyond the deadline your school has set for completing your application, then there's clearly not sufficient time to write a whole new personal statement for Computer Science - so it seems that this forces your hand somewhat.

It would be almost impossible to write a personal statement that works for both Law and Computer Science: one of the main purposes of a personal statement is to demonstrate you passion and interest in your chosen degree. If you tried to cover both interests (talking about how the law applies to computing, or how computing can be used within law) then I fear you might struggle to show a passion for either.

If you do opt to re-write your personal statement to target Computer Science, then see a huge range of computer science, computing and IT personal statement examples right here on TSR. Hopefully they will inspire you.

Reply 7
I know I really should've thought about this more, earlier. I've started looking at unis which don't require an A* (it just means I wont be able to apply to my 1st choice but I'm fine with that now). Thanks so much for the reassurance btw.

Original post by harrysbar
You're in a right muddle.

1) If you want to do computer science you should apply to 5 computer science degrees and you can always convert to Law at postgraduate level if the career still interests you then. It won't hold you back having a degree in a non law subject.
2) It is concerning that you are focussing on unis that require an A* in maths when that is not your strongest subject. You need to be researching unis that don't have this requirement for your Insurance choice.
3) Don't let you school rush you into submitting a UCAS form before you are ready. If you need to take the Christmas holidays to do it then they should let you take that time and submit it in January. I know schools have internal deadlines but these can be flexible and it's important you get this right.
Either call your COMPSCI choices and ask if they'll accept a PS submitted directly OR take a gap year and do some COMPSCI super/extra-curriculars and make sure it's what you actually want to do. (And if so, apply to 5 COMPSCI choices, it's a competitive course at most decent unis.)
Reply 9
Original post by naiola

research more about a computer science degree if you are considering it. There's no point in doing a degree that you are clueless about. Maybe that will help sway you because it would be impossible to write a personal statement on 2 completely different subjects. During your research you may even find out that computer science isnt for you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by naiola
That's a fair question. I feel like I would be better suited to a more logic based degree like computer science, i like the flexibilty of being a software engineer and I'm really enjoying coding so far

If you'd like to be a software engineer then a software engineering degree would be a better choice than CS
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending