The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Why I Love Living in Chester

Current student Sigrid shares with us her reasons why she chose Chester as her place to study and, ultimately, her new home from home.

Choosing Chester

When I was looking at universities to apply to, I took the city itself into consideration, and Chester won many points for me there. I wanted a city that was big enough to have all the shops and social life that I was looking for, but not so big that I was dependant on public transport and wouldn’t be able to fully get to know the city. Chester checked both of those boxes for me. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything in the city, and I don’t have to use public transport at all.

First Impressions

My first impression of Chester was that it was an absolutely beautiful city. Because of the pandemic, I was not able to go to any open days before moving here, so I had only seen Chester in pictures and videos. While this did give me some idea of what the city looked like, I was not prepared for the beautiful architecture and culture that the city has to offer. I moved to Chester two weeks before term started, so I spent that time getting to know the city better, walking around looking at the buildings and places I wanted to go to. Growing up in a smaller town, there were lots of things that were completely new about living in a bigger city - but I loved it.

Exploring the city

Walking around the city has quickly become one of my hobbies, and I could happily spend hours walking around listening to either an audio book or some music. There are several places to wander around. You could walk along the walls - a Chester classic, or you could walk along the canal. There are also several trails right outside the city centre, and you’ll often find people walking their dogs or going for runs there.

Another activity that has become a favourite of mine is sitting outside with a coffee and a good book, and there are several spots around the city where this is possible. You can either buy a book at one of the several bookstores, or borrow one from the library in the city centre, and there seems to be a coffee shop on every corner. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring and finding good places to sit, and the cathedral, Grosvenor park and the amphitheatre are only some of them.

One aspect of Chester that I really love is the diversity of things to get involved with, both through the university and within the city itself - you never run out of things to do! It can be helpful to join Facebook pages or forums that let you know what's happening in the city. That way you're not going to miss out on the things that interest you and sound fun. Whether you’re interested in volunteering, concerts, shows or markets, there’s something for everyone.

Nightlife

The nightlife in Chester is something I’ve really enjoyed. There's lots of options to suit different types of people, whether you like loud clubs or more quiet pubs. Finding different spots to go out with friends is always fun when moving to a new city, and I have found several favourites in Chester where I’d gladly spend a night out with friends.

All in all, I have no regrets choosing Chester as the city to do my degree in, as it is a beautiful city filled with life and lots of exciting opportunities.

You can find out more about student life and things to do in Chester here on our website.
Wow.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending