The Student Room Group

Feeling Uncomfortable

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable in situations when it comes to talking or telling about yourself?

Back story:

I recently started my first job and I feel really uncomfortable when someone tries to get to know me personally or my family (by asking me questions).

I keep conversations very short - if someone asks me how the holidays were I would say 1/2 sentences like good thank you, I met up with my friends, we went shopping and that's it - but people seem to want to know more and more and it puts me in a situation where I feel uncomfortable and begin stammering.

Is there anything wrong with me? Does anyone else feel the same way? I sometimes think, this is my first job, my communication skills will develop overtime... I try to think of it this way...
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable in situations when it comes to talking or telling about yourself?

Back story:

I recently started my first job and I feel really uncomfortable when someone tries to get to know me personally or my family (by asking me questions).

I keep conversations very short - if someone asks me how the holidays were I would say 1/2 sentences like good thank you, I met up with my friends, we went shopping and that's it - but people seem to want to know more and more and it puts me in a situation where I feel uncomfortable and begin stammering.

Is there anything wrong with me? Does anyone else feel the same way? I sometimes think, this is my first job, my communication skills will develop overtime... I try to think of it this way...

Have you given any thought as to why talking about yourself or your family might make you feel uncomfortable? Are you worried that people are secretly judging you when you tell them what you did during your holiday?

Is it only during verbal conversation that this happens? You can't stammer when typing. Let me try an experiment...

How was your Christmas break? What did you get up to? Any plans for New Year's Eve?

(Would answering that here, anonymously, make you feel uncomfortable?)
Original post by DataVenia
Have you given any thought as to why talking about yourself or your family might make you feel uncomfortable? Are you worried that people are secretly judging you when you tell them what you did during your holiday?

Is it only during verbal conversation that this happens? You can't stammer when typing. Let me try an experiment...

How was your Christmas break? What did you get up to? Any plans for New Year's Eve?

(Would answering that here, anonymously, make you feel uncomfortable?)

Of course, I will reply on text thoughtfully.

But when it comes to speaking; I am more reserved and cautious of what I say; I don't know if this is normal hence why I shut myself away from the others and when I am asked something I change the topic of the discussion really fast.
No I love talking about myself. I don’t like listening to other people talk about themselves.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Back story:

you could just try to say even less if you didn't want them to ask you more about it, and if they continue asking pretend as if they didn't and ask them instead, and if they continue asking even after that just say you'd rather not talk about it politely. you are not weird for it, it's normal, if you feel like someone is asking too much out of ur comfort unless it's someone close you do not have to answer them.
Original post by HAHA_×
you could just try to say even less if you didn't want them to ask you more about it, and if they continue asking pretend as if they didn't and ask them instead, and if they continue asking even after that just say you'd rather not talk about it politely. you are not weird for it, it's normal, if you feel like someone is asking too much out of ur comfort unless it's someone close you do not have to answer them.

Absolutely, I changed my driving instructor, love my new one! Its been around 5 months now, shes amazing! There was deffo wrong with the first instructor it was not normal to ask me such questions.
I’d say you’re just a bit introverted and socially awkward. My partner and I are both this way. Nothing wrong with you at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending