The Student Room Group

The underlying scare of failure

Whenever i revise or do a test i always feel overwhelmed, sometimes cause the work is too hard and sometimes it because of my thinking im not gonna remember anything and that everything will go wrong

The one and sadly only good thing about this is that i found the subjects that this doesnt occur that much and that happens to be maths and economics

I need to get six 8s and three 7s to get to the colleges i want to go to for e.g NCS, Brampton or LAE (i heard NCS aint what they portray)

If i get these grades i can hopefully do a level maths and a level economics and my third probably being a level history (though i am working at a 7 rn) i got decent october yr 11 mock grades so just majority 7s but even then i still feel i couldve done better

Two days ago i just told myself if i rlly wanted to get the grades and make myself proud of not wasting my potential and so for the past two days i've been doing a decent amount of work 5 hours but its just 3 hours of proper work

But the thing is, in the back of my mind i feel like what im doing is just not computing with what i write sometimes. Like for science in my october mocks i just watched two topic vids on my topic list the night before and got 64% and 60% which is an 8-8 somehow, idk but i feel like i'll do better if i just revise the day before and cram compared to me revising properly (learning content and doing questions)

I wish there was a way i could only do maths and econ but that lifes and i just have to get through this like everyone else is. Another example is english lit and lang, i HATE english cause its just soo much questions and questions and if u have no one to check ur answers its just useless. in my jan mocks i have lit and lang p2 both with a week in difference. I'll do like 2 questions of english lang at best a day and more often i just copy what i find online, which wont help me in the actual test.

Funnily enough i think english is causing me the most harm as i have to put pressure on it to get a 7, another thing i dont get is that in my 30 marker in october mocks it was about lady macbeth and i didnt revise that well, i just watched a 30 second clip about it, and btw i wrote barely 2 third of a page in the hour we were given and i still got 19/30 in the question and 4/4 in the SPaG. That got me soo confused cause i was stressing to one of my close friends that i wont even reach a 4 but it got 23/34 which was one mark of a 7. I was like how on earth can this happen.

I think for me i just dont like subjects that dont have a definitive answer cause in gcse english u can talk about an apple when describing an orange and still get marks. Im not trying to diss english but its hella confusing for someone like me to get an 8 in, and on top of that my brother who's soo good at english got two 8s in english and was a few marks of getting two 9s for english. He always tells me that i need to analyse more, when i try learn and write what i learn it just doesnt get better.

I'm honestly considering giving up trying in english cause at bare minimum i should get a 5, but i won't cause if i do then why have i done pages worth of answers for. I cant wait for the 19th of june 2023 cause itll be my last gcse

I'm sorry if this is long but i need to store this somewhere.

Furthermore my tutor came today to teach my brother and just as he walked passed me he was like to me that one of my classmates for science english and maths didnt even have the timetable for the mocks, that got me thinking that atleast i know what day my exams are!!!

Tmr im getting my dt revision book so that will majorly help me get an 8 for dt(even though i got a 6 in october)

I think my advice to myself is to keep working even if it doesnt feel like its helping cause even if it does a bit then i should keep doing it.

at least this is the only thing im worrying about cause in addition to this feeling i've displayed about my views on certain subjects (english hehe) they also have family/economical issues, I pray that everyone has a wonderful and lovely holiday since rn in the uk atleast times are hard with the outrageous selections of fast coming pms and the disgrace economics the government have put in place

It feel like a weight has been lifted as i now no longer have to remember these thoughts i will just right that in these forums(i dont rlly get this website but it is very helpful nonetheless) I found the 2022 papers that will be in my english lang mocks but i dont even feel like cheating cause its not gonna help me

Also if u wanna add to my frustration on why i hate mocks and stupid teachers who are mid at their jobs, please do cause trust me u dont wanna keep this in your head as it is mentally challenging and demoralising to do so.

I have much more to say but its late and i need to sleep so that atleast i can wake up on time, so bye for now and i shall see u tmr hopefully. Peace :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

Firstly I will say that teachers are NOT stupid. Some are just less helpful than others but you should never say that.

Maths is amazing. I don’t do economics so not sure about that but maths is heaven. Good that you enjoy it too.

I cannot stress enough that you cannot be relying on watching videos and cramming the day before and expect to pass with a decent grade. It may be working at the moment but you will seriously let yourself down if this tactic fails. Instead, make flashcards and test yourself on them regularly. That’s all you have to do to alleviate the pressure of science exams as long as you know you have the knowledge and content in your mind. Science is not something to play with, some of the content is tricky to grasp fully and then to apply it to questions is even more difficult even for those of us who know the content very well. Please do exercise more care for these subjects.

I attended NCS’s open evening and it seems like a great school to me. LAE on the other hand doesn’t seem as good. Brampton is stressful but will get you where you need to be.

It’s great to see you doing 5 hours of work (well 3) but seriously give yourself a break. Take this from a student who gets all 8’s and has done this. You work so hard during school time (I presume) that you just need a break in the holidays. That’s what they’re there for: to allow you to reenergise and be prepared for school again. Exploit this time you have. But of course naturally you’d want to be ahead and give yourself a boost, which is perfectly understandable but only do as much as you’re comfortable with. Don’t make it feel like a revision day. Make it feel like a I’ve got too much time on my hands I’d rather do some revision sort of day. Trust me, I completely understand how overwhelming revision and exams can be, hardworking people are always harsh on themselves. But you need to realise that you need to look after yourself. Without this, you can never hope to succeed. You need to treat yourself with kindness and only then will your brain and body be healthy to support you and cooperate and ace those exams. I also find scented candles to help. If you have a desk, you can get a candle (vanilla is amazing but those quirky Yankee flavours will be just fine). Hopefully, that aroma is calming and soothes you, I’d recommend listening to some lyric-less music too, just create a nice relaxed environment where you feel like you want to sit down and get started. Make sure wherever you study is clean and organised. Super organised. Only ever have the things you need for your revision ready at hand (and the candle of course!).

English is a rather nasty subject for those of us who are more suited to maths. There really aren’t that many questions at all! (5 in each language paper and aren’t there 2 in each literature paper?) The questions are really long though- I’ll give you that!

Honestly, I’ve struggled with English, or well perhaps not struggled but I’ve felt overwhelmed by it a lot even when I was in the right track. Always so paranoid, I’d do several poetry questions and keep doing them until I got a very good mark. My teacher (bless her) is so nice though and can sense how stressed I am that she said I can see you’re stressed and if you want I’ll sit down with you and go through every question in the paper until you feel secure with it. (My history teacher said the same for the mocks I’ve just completed and I’ll take her up on it!!).

Yeah, no. It’s causing me pain to see that you’ve been relying on videos on YouTube to get you through English. You cannot afford to do this at all. English grade boundaries are extraordinarily high because with English you can PRACTISE and become better and that’s what people do. What *you* should do as well.

2/3 of a page doesn’t seem to constitute 19/30 unless it was pure genius and A-level standard so I’m unsure about that. My teacher specifically has said for a 30 marker automatically for anyone who has written less than a page that they’ll get a grade 4. You have an hour. 1 whole hour. 10 minutes planning. 50 minutes grinding. 50 minutes is a tonne of time. On the exam paper, in 50 minutes you could write 7-8 sides depending on your handwriting if you’ve practised a lot.

You definitely do need to analyse. A lot. A lot. English is that subject where they want you to grill everything, pick the quote apart and say every possible meaning of it. That’s what they like to see. (It has to be credible of course, not waffle).

Congrats to your brother but it doesn’t help you to compare yourself to a sibling. You’re both at different stages, you work differently, you think differently, you cope with stress and bad grades differently, you can drastically improve completely differently. Heck, if I didn’t have faith in you, I wouldn’t be here writing this response to a 30 marker English question minutes before midnight for you now would I?

You cannot afford to “give up” in any subjects. If anything there’s a few months left, work extremely hard and it will pay off.

Indeed your advice is partially correct, do keep working but not if you’re burnt out or you feel helpless. Build revision systems that will make revision easier (watch some YouTube videos on good revision strategies- I recommend Ali Abdaal).

Good. You’re conscientious. Don’t cheat. Ever. It will never help you, mocks are your best friend. They will reveal to you what subjects you need to put more work in to, which subjects you’re struggling in and will help you get those end results that you deserve. I admire you for not cheating.

If you have anything else you want to say or ask then please feel free to drop me a message.

Hope you read this far and that this is helpful!!
sorry for the short answer but holymoly those colleges have a high grade bar.
Also with DT - ooooooooh i loved DT - the test is not too hard but the coursework element: just do more.
Don't get me wrong it's good to have some quality work but if you explore lots of things, create a mountain of work, even if it's a bit shallow - it will likely booster your grade.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by subbhy
Hi,

Firstly I will say that teachers are NOT stupid. Some are just less helpful than others but you should never say that.

Maths is amazing. I don’t do economics so not sure about that but maths is heaven. Good that you enjoy it too.

I cannot stress enough that you cannot be relying on watching videos and cramming the day before and expect to pass with a decent grade. It may be working at the moment but you will seriously let yourself down if this tactic fails. Instead, make flashcards and test yourself on them regularly. That’s all you have to do to alleviate the pressure of science exams as long as you know you have the knowledge and content in your mind. Science is not something to play with, some of the content is tricky to grasp fully and then to apply it to questions is even more difficult even for those of us who know the content very well. Please do exercise more care for these subjects.

I attended NCS’s open evening and it seems like a great school to me. LAE on the other hand doesn’t seem as good. Brampton is stressful but will get you where you need to be.

It’s great to see you doing 5 hours of work (well 3) but seriously give yourself a break. Take this from a student who gets all 8’s and has done this. You work so hard during school time (I presume) that you just need a break in the holidays. That’s what they’re there for: to allow you to reenergise and be prepared for school again. Exploit this time you have. But of course naturally you’d want to be ahead and give yourself a boost, which is perfectly understandable but only do as much as you’re comfortable with. Don’t make it feel like a revision day. Make it feel like a I’ve got too much time on my hands I’d rather do some revision sort of day. Trust me, I completely understand how overwhelming revision and exams can be, hardworking people are always harsh on themselves. But you need to realise that you need to look after yourself. Without this, you can never hope to succeed. You need to treat yourself with kindness and only then will your brain and body be healthy to support you and cooperate and ace those exams. I also find scented candles to help. If you have a desk, you can get a candle (vanilla is amazing but those quirky Yankee flavours will be just fine). Hopefully, that aroma is calming and soothes you, I’d recommend listening to some lyric-less music too, just create a nice relaxed environment where you feel like you want to sit down and get started. Make sure wherever you study is clean and organised. Super organised. Only ever have the things you need for your revision ready at hand (and the candle of course!).

English is a rather nasty subject for those of us who are more suited to maths. There really aren’t that many questions at all! (5 in each language paper and aren’t there 2 in each literature paper?) The questions are really long though- I’ll give you that!

Honestly, I’ve struggled with English, or well perhaps not struggled but I’ve felt overwhelmed by it a lot even when I was in the right track. Always so paranoid, I’d do several poetry questions and keep doing them until I got a very good mark. My teacher (bless her) is so nice though and can sense how stressed I am that she said I can see you’re stressed and if you want I’ll sit down with you and go through every question in the paper until you feel secure with it. (My history teacher said the same for the mocks I’ve just completed and I’ll take her up on it!!).

Yeah, no. It’s causing me pain to see that you’ve been relying on videos on YouTube to get you through English. You cannot afford to do this at all. English grade boundaries are extraordinarily high because with English you can PRACTISE and become better and that’s what people do. What *you* should do as well.

2/3 of a page doesn’t seem to constitute 19/30 unless it was pure genius and A-level standard so I’m unsure about that. My teacher specifically has said for a 30 marker automatically for anyone who has written less than a page that they’ll get a grade 4. You have an hour. 1 whole hour. 10 minutes planning. 50 minutes grinding. 50 minutes is a tonne of time. On the exam paper, in 50 minutes you could write 7-8 sides depending on your handwriting if you’ve practised a lot.

You definitely do need to analyse. A lot. A lot. English is that subject where they want you to grill everything, pick the quote apart and say every possible meaning of it. That’s what they like to see. (It has to be credible of course, not waffle).

Congrats to your brother but it doesn’t help you to compare yourself to a sibling. You’re both at different stages, you work differently, you think differently, you cope with stress and bad grades differently, you can drastically improve completely differently. Heck, if I didn’t have faith in you, I wouldn’t be here writing this response to a 30 marker English question minutes before midnight for you now would I?

You cannot afford to “give up” in any subjects. If anything there’s a few months left, work extremely hard and it will pay off.

Indeed your advice is partially correct, do keep working but not if you’re burnt out or you feel helpless. Build revision systems that will make revision easier (watch some YouTube videos on good revision strategies- I recommend Ali Abdaal).

Good. You’re conscientious. Don’t cheat. Ever. It will never help you, mocks are your best friend. They will reveal to you what subjects you need to put more work in to, which subjects you’re struggling in and will help you get those end results that you deserve. I admire you for not cheating.

If you have anything else you want to say or ask then please feel free to drop me a message.

Hope you read this far and that this is helpful!!

Thank you for the reply and I did a q5 today wrote as much as I could which was about 1.5 pages (~310 words) and I did everything my myself so I going to ask my brother to mark it and see what he says and also I appreciate the time you took to write everything you wrote. I have one question cause my other questions have obvious answers, did u have a set structure when answering the English lit and lang questions?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rayhxn97
Thank you for the reply and I did a q5 today wrote as much as I could which was about 1.5 pages (~310 words) and I did everything my myself so I going to ask my brother to mark it and see what he says and also I appreciate the time you took to write everything you wrote. I have one question cause my other questions have obvious answers, did u have a set structure when answering the English lit and lang questions?

Hi, yes I do have a set structure but not for all of them.

Language Paper 1

Q2 (language analysis): 2 paragraphs with two quotes analyses in depth.

Q3 (structure analysis): 3 paragraphs on beginning, middle and end

Q4 (student statement): 3 paragraphs (agree/disagree, partially agree/disagree, further agree/disagree)

Q5: not really a set way but try make it cyclical!

I’ll update rest later!
Reply 5
Original post by subbhy
Hi, yes I do have a set structure but not for all of them.

Language Paper 1

Q2 (language analysis): 2 paragraphs with two quotes analyses in depth.

Q3 (structure analysis): 3 paragraphs on beginning, middle and end

Q4 (student statement): 3 paragraphs (agree/disagree, partially agree/disagree, further agree/disagree)

Q5: not really a set way but try make it cyclical!

I’ll update rest later!

Lang P2

Q2 (summary): 2 paragraphs with perceptive comparisons

Q3 (language analysis): 3 paragraphs each with detailed analysis

Q4 (comparing writers perspectives): 3/4 paragraphs each with a perceptive comparison that compares the writer’s viewpoints.

Q5 (non-fiction writing): honestly plan your response to the question specifically and ensure that you litter it with features and devices of a non-fiction text depending on which one it is.

Literature:

Poetry anthology (whichever you do): I write a conceptualised introduction, then write a lengthy paragraph comparing structure and form, and write 2 paragraphs comparing language and analysing it (attempt to analyse 2/3 quotes from each poem but embed more). Ensure to use subject terminology (caesura, enjambment etc)

Unsure what texts you’ve studied but generally write a plan (5-10 mins) that includes the extract and other parts of the whole text that you’ll mention. Include context and key quotes you want to analyse.

Hope this helps! Any questions, do let me know!!
Original post by subbhy
Lang P2

Q2 (summary): 2 paragraphs with perceptive comparisons

Q3 (language analysis): 3 paragraphs each with detailed analysis

Q4 (comparing writers perspectives): 3/4 paragraphs each with a perceptive comparison that compares the writer’s viewpoints.

Q5 (non-fiction writing): honestly plan your response to the question specifically and ensure that you litter it with features and devices of a non-fiction text depending on which one it is.

Literature:

Poetry anthology (whichever you do): I write a conceptualised introduction, then write a lengthy paragraph comparing structure and form, and write 2 paragraphs comparing language and analysing it (attempt to analyse 2/3 quotes from each poem but embed more). Ensure to use subject terminology (caesura, enjambment etc)

Unsure what texts you’ve studied but generally write a plan (5-10 mins) that includes the extract and other parts of the whole text that you’ll mention. Include context and key quotes you want to analyse.

Hope this helps! Any questions, do let me know!!

i showed my teacher a bunch of my answered questions and he said that i find a lot of quotes/features but need to delve into them more and he said in general I'm working towards the higher levels of each questions (so about 6/7) and at least that's a good sign that I'm progressing even if it is 1 more mark. Also thank you for sharing your structure with me, I really appreciate it
Reply 7
i showed my teacher a bunch of my answered questions and he said that i find a lot of quotes/features but need to delve into them more and he said in general I'm working towards the higher levels of each questions (so about 6/7) and at least that's a good sign that I'm progressing even if it is 1 more mark. Also thank you for sharing your structure with me, I really appreciate it

Hey, that’s fine!

And well done! It’s difficult to get a 6/7 and yes! Quality over quantity. 2-3 quotes for a 8 marker and analyse them in depth!

could u send me the lang paper 2 2022?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending