The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Robinson Postgrad Applicants & Offer Holders

Heya just thought I'd leave this here in case anyone wants to chat or connect a little before next year. I suppose it would be handy if anyone interested says what they have an offer / are applying for. I'll go first, got an offer for PhD in Physics :smile:
Hi Mendeli,
Congratulations! I am waiting a decision as well for a PhD place and I have a few questions. Keen to connect and have a little chat? I am a new member and cannot send PMs just yet, so feel free to reach me if you want.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hey, thanks for reaching out via PM - Apparently I won't be able to answer either way lol. Would you be ok communicating over some other platform (e.g. Linkedin, MS teams)?

Original post by mendeli
Heya just thought I'd leave this here in case anyone wants to chat or connect a little before next year. I suppose it would be handy if anyone interested says what they have an offer / are applying for. I'll go first, got an offer for PhD in Physics :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Christsr
Hey, thanks for reaching out via PM - Apparently I won't be able to answer either way lol. Would you be ok communicating over some other platform (e.g. Linkedin, MS teams)?

Uhhh here is fine by me, what’s the Qs?
Original post by mendeli
Uhhh here is fine by me, what’s the Qs?

Awesome! 1) How long after interview did it took for you to find out about acceptance (e.g. move from departmental review, to PAO, to positive respond)? 2) How was your interview like? For example, mine lasted about an hour including a 15-minute presentation on past and current research.
3) Before getting an answer from college you learnt that you were accepted, or did you learn about both at the same time?
4) What branch of physics/group are you getting into next year?

Cheers,
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Christsr
Awesome! 1) How long after interview did it took for you to find out about acceptance (e.g. move from departmental review, to PAO, to positive respond)? 2) How was your interview like? For example, mine lasted about an hour including a 15-minute presentation on past and current research.
3) Before getting an answer from college you learnt that you were accepted, or did you learn about both at the same time?
4) What branch of physics/group are you getting into next year?

Cheers,

Okay sooo:
1) it took about 2/3 weeks after my interview for formal offer but maybe 1 week to be shown under PAO so rather quick (I think it’s mostly limited by the professors clicking yes/no)
2) my interview was about 45 mins and was some Qs about aspiration, a check on what I knew about the topic and what sort of direction I would want the PhD to go in, if I had thought about funding options, and technical questions on some basic physics in that area.
3) I got the update on the college around 3 weeks after getting the offer, but again I think this is super variable dependent on college and time of year.
4) Looking to get into the space-based photovoltaics group :smile:
Thank you for your answers.
Hey, I'm an offer holder (still waiting on funding) going into Materials Science. I completed my undergrad in Cambridge so happy to answer any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending