The Student Room Group

manual or automatic

i want to start driving lessons soon but the issue is i don't know if i should do manual or automatic. my mum insists i do automatic because its apparently safer and easier, but everyone else is telling me to do manual because then i can drive any type of car. any advice?
Manual, better to have skill in both. Auto can be 'easier' but I'd struggle to call it 'safer' and would argue that someone driving stick has more awareness of what the car is doing.

tbh more cars gong forward will be some sort of auto gearing, manual is losing use.. but this long touted 'takeover of automatics' has so far failed to take place in my lifetime despite all the threats.
Newly qualified driver here, so I can very much relate to your situation!

I learnt in a manual because my parents were keen that I get a full license and could consequently drive any vehicle. I didn't much like driving on a manual transmission, so my current car (first car) is automatic, and I'd never go back. It's so convenient. That being said, learning in a manual forced me to think much more about my actions and made me a better driver. With an automatic, there is always the risk of mindless driving, so you must be vigilant. Of course, this is all subjective and your driving will very much depend on individual skill.

However, I think in this day and age, with many manufacturers switching to automatic output/electric (look at Fiat's recent move to all-electric Fiat 500's), the idea that you'd be driving a manual car in some sort of hypothetical scenario is ridiculous - it almost never happens. Short of going on holiday to a country where automatic transmission isn't popular, I can't see any reason why you'd be driving anyone else's car.

I'd take your mother's advice, especially if she's supportive - you'll learn so much quicker in an automatic and they're a pleasure to drive, even with the slightly increased price tag.
Original post by softwd
i want to start driving lessons soon but the issue is i don't know if i should do manual or automatic. my mum insists i do automatic because its apparently safer and easier, but everyone else is telling me to do manual because then i can drive any type of car. any advice?

Manual imo, much more options.. i also believe it makes people better drivers. I think its the best way to go for your first 2-3 years of driving whilst your skills are developing.
A few points to consider (or tell your mum)

Although around 60% of *new* cars sold are autos; in the UK manuals still account for 70% of all cars. So if you're after a car for yourself you have far more choice amongst manuals on the second hand market.

The pass rate is quite a bit higher for manuals. Although that's a statistical thing; you'll take your own test when you're ready.

Manuals tend to be cheaper to insure.

Personally, even though I drive an autonomic now, I would advise learning in a manual. As people have said, it gives you more options after you pass. It's also, I find, just a better driving experience. You have much more control in a manual. Especially at low speeds. I love my auto in stop/start traffic; but I do find myself sometimes going into manual mode around the lanes.
Always manual! You’ll understand how to drive both manual and automatic that way. I can’t speak for everyone who learnt automatic but my cousin learnt automatic and has been driving for 11 years now, he is still clueless about manual cars.

Just doesn’t seem like a very smart option to go with the route that limits your skills.
Reply 6
Automatic 100%

The future is probably driverless cars anyhow but seriously, everything is moving electric and over 60% of cars being sold are already automatic. Sure there are loads of second hand manual cars on the market at the moment so cheaper car buying options but that is reducing as we move more towards electric. I would buy Automatic every time.

Once you drive automatic you don't want to go back to manual IMO. I have a manual license and would only ever buy an automatic car. Why make life harder for yourself. Everyone i know, once they drive Automatic they never switch back to manual and i certainly wouldn't.

Also, there are more cars than ever on the roads and if you are in towns with heavy congestion with constant stop start, or slight hills/ gradients up to traffic lights where you are riding the clutch manual driving can be a right royal pain in the ars@ - so for me its automatic all the way.

As a side, my daughter recently passed her test in an Automatic and then went on and brought an auto mini and absolutely loves it. Just like you other family relations were telling her to learn in a manual yet ironically most telling her to do that were in fact now automatic drivers!

Regarding driving abroad, if you go to America and hire a car they are practically all automatics.

At the end of the day its a decision only you can make.
Unless you are really struggling after many hours of lessons, manual.
Manual - you develop better understanding of how the car works and you have many more options for buying or hiring cars/vans in the future.
Original post by softwd

Manual. If you struggle with that, then change to Automatic.
Original post by LsDad
Automatic 100%

The future is probably driverless cars anyhow but seriously, everything is moving electric and over 60% of cars being sold are already automatic. Sure there are loads of second hand manual cars on the market at the moment so cheaper car buying options but that is reducing as we move more towards electric. I would buy Automatic every time.

Once you drive automatic you don't want to go back to manual IMO. I have a manual license and would only ever buy an automatic car. Why make life harder for yourself. Everyone i know, once they drive Automatic they never switch back to manual and i certainly wouldn't.

Also, there are more cars than ever on the roads and if you are in towns with heavy congestion with constant stop start, or slight hills/ gradients up to traffic lights where you are riding the clutch manual driving can be a right royal pain in the ars@ - so for me its automatic all the way.

As a side, my daughter recently passed her test in an Automatic and then went on and brought an auto mini and absolutely loves it. Just like you other family relations were telling her to learn in a manual yet ironically most telling her to do that were in fact now automatic drivers!

Regarding driving abroad, if you go to America and hire a car they are practically all automatics.

At the end of the day its a decision only you can make.

I've owned both auto and manual and came back to manual because I prefer it and I'm at a point where I shift almost without thought.

I'm aware autos are getting more commonplace along with electric, but as said above, the vast majority of UK cars are still manual and we're just not there yet, and bearing in mind this is a student forum most will be looking at used rather than new cars so manual is more likely. With many performance cars the manual is more desirable as the auto box they used ruins the car.

Two other little things, I work as a tradesman and getting an automatic van model is often not viable or even possible, and if I wanted to work with other companies vans they would v likely need a manual licence. Secondly, manual boxes can certainly have faults, losing a gear etc, but almost all auto fails cripple the car with v expensive 'computer says no' problems.

As said, there will certainly come a day where it makes no sense for folk to learn manual unless they really like 20th century cars, but I just think we're not there yet, esp for folk not buying new.
Reply 11
Something to think about is the ease with which you could get lessons. Most driving schools have far more manual than automatic cars so you might struggle to book regular lessons if you limit yourself to an automatic.
My first car was a Series 2a Land Rover. Those things are about as manual as you can get; it didn't even have a full synchromesh so you had to double declutch. It also had a starting handle.

My current vehicles is an all bells and whistles Range Rover. Which I found out this morning has a flat battery. I've got it on the trickle charger. But I don't half miss that starting handle.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by softwd

I would advise you to do automatic in 5 years time cars are going to turn into automatic, having taken automatic lessons it is completely easier and so free-flowing to drive in and you would probably be ready in half the recommended amount of hours required in a manual to do your practical test dependent on method of learning, how fast you pick it up alongside practice and perfection.
Original post by Mohammed_80
I would advise you to do automatic in 5 years time cars are going to turn into automatic, having taken automatic lessons it is completely easier and so free-flowing to drive in

Tbh I don't know how credible that sounds unless you are able to do both to judge them, I can drive 'free flowing' in a manual just fine.

I am curious what your thoughts are that almost all the other posters, many experienced drivers, say manual?
As above, manuals aren't just going to vanish overnight, even if manufacturers stopped making them today. The majority of new drivers will still be in manuals for the foreseeable future.

A manual licence won't limit their options, whilst an auto one will.
Original post by StriderHort
Tbh I don't know how credible that sounds unless you are able to do both to judge them, I can drive 'free flowing' in a manual just fine.

I am curious what your thoughts are that almost all the other posters, many experienced drivers, say manual?

Unless your flexible enough to control clutch, break and gas pedal then go for it otherwise you have the freedom of resting one leg on a automatic and letting the other leg do the work for two pedals why make life difficult and hard for yourself. I will back automatic any day of the week 💯. Plus it looks like you clearly took time to get onto the road with a automatic you could be test ready in 30-35 hours unlike a manual you’d be looking at 50 or so dependent on how quick you pick it up.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mohammed_80
Unless your flexible enough to control clutch, break and gas pedal then go for it otherwise you have the freedom of resting one leg on a automatic and letting the other leg do the work for two pedals why make life difficult and hard for yourself. I will back automatic any day of the week 💯. Plus it looks like you clearly took time to get onto the road with a automatic you could be test ready in 30-35 hours unlike a manual you’d be looking at 50 or so dependent on how quick you pick it up.

If you weren't flexible enough to do those 3 things I question whether you can safely control a car and process the information flow full stop, it's not a mark of pride not to be able to use a clutch. Generally in my manual my left foot is at rest apart from shifting, and I never need to press all 3 pedals at once? Not being funny, but maybe it just sounds difficult if you can't do it?

I took about 35 hours, and 2 test fails, neither test fail was gear related and I would have failed in an auto.

But as I asked, if you are so confident in this, you should be able to explain why allllll us experienced drivers are wrong, and you are right? It's a pretty uneven divide.
Perhaps another thing to bear in mind. After a bit of time driving manuals, you don't even notice you're changing gears. Ironically it becomes 'automatic'.

You'll notice that generally after you've passed your test and got some experience. It goes from breaking into a sweat approaching roundabouts and being conscious of every action, and then one day you arrive somewhere and think "How on earth did I get here?" You will literally have driven without any conscious thought.

Having said all that, when you're stuck in a 2mph traffic jam on the motorway, you will be very aware of 'clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out...' for what will feel like five miles.

(If traffic is doing that, I usually just sit there and only catch up every hundred yards or so. It's makes no difference to everyone's overall progress, and one skill that I genuinely think people should learn, is not to be intimidated or rushed by people beeping their horns behind you.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Depends on a lot of factors to be honest. Most people will automatically reply that it's better to do manual because then you can drive both, whereas if you pass an automatic test you can only drive automatic cars unless you then learn and do a test in a manual. So, do you want to be driving manual is the question? They're generally a lot cheaper than automatic and some people enjoy the feel of it and having more control over the car, so that's all good to consider. I'm not sure I've ever heard that one is safer than the other, in fact like I say some people would prefer manual because if there are ever icy conditions or anything like that you have more control. There can also be situations such as hiring a car in which you'll have more options if you can drive manual.

Personally though I changed from manual lessons to automatic quite quickly. I liked the feel of changing gear but I found it such a faff to keep having to do and the more my instructor told me the more flustered I was getting, and I wanted to pass as quickly as possible, and automatic is definitely easier. I realised pretty soon I wouldn't want to drive manual and preferred automatic, so I didn't feel a massive need to be able to drive manual. The main decider though was that any family member whose car I could borrow to practice drove automatic, and there was no point learning manual if I could only practice in an automatic (at least that's what I thought).

So in summary yes automatic is way, way easier so that can be appealing and a lot of people find it less stressful to drive, but passing in an automatic will limit your options and automatic cars are more expensive. I would also consider what car, if any, is available for practising.

Oh also, as someone who learned automatic, your friends who learn manual will likely joke about it lol.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending