The Student Room Group

I haven't been able to send my UCAS application in time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muhammad012
Yh, that's what I thought you meant, I spoke to the maths department and explained my situation to them, they said that they won't be able to comment on that and the best people to speak to are admissions, which I've already done.

This is a nonsense response from Maths, both their policy on having a ref at the point of applying and when the courses closes are down to them at a department level. You'd be well within your rights to call them again and explain that Admissions have advised the same after speaking with them.
Original post by Muhammad012
In that case, you think the best course of action would be to send it in right now and hope for the best?
(edit: to send it in right now without the refrence)

Personally I would submit the app now if QMUL is your priority. Whilst in theory any uni could reject you for not having a reference, I think it's much more likely that QMUL's Maths programme will close at some point in the foreseeable future.

As noted before, in the majority of cases if a ref is missing, the uni will just contact you to obtain one if you look like a decent candidate.
Would you mind telling me why you think QMUL's maths programme will close very soon? or do all courses only stay open for only a short period of time after 25th Jan.

Another thing to consider is that they may not even look at my application since i've subbitted it after the deadline - How likely do you think that is? @Admit-One
This is annoying, My personal tutor from university just emailed me back. Is there any way to add a reference in now?
I've already paid the £27 and submitted it in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Acutually, could my reference come from my employer, whom I'm close with. I could've just gotten him to do it.
After you send your UCAS application you usually get emails from the uni's you applied to giving you their application portal. You can add your references or other documents on there.

I sent off my UCAS on 23rd and received a offer the next day from City for CS but still after 3 days they haven't sent me a application portal (they may not have one). In this case you might have to send it to their admissions email or call them and ask.
Hi, sort of unrelated, but I'm considering taking biomedical science. If you don't mind me asking, why wasn't it suited to you? What was your experience?
Original post by mai0may
Hi, sort of unrelated, but I'm considering taking biomedical science. If you don't mind me asking, why wasn't it suited to you? What was your experience?

Well, I studied physics, maths and biology at A-level, so I found my biochem module difficult since I didn't study A-level chemistry. I also found that the content for A-level biology wasn't that difficult to understand, and I loved making mindmaps and connecting differnet topics, so learning bio was actually quiet enjoyable for me at sixth form. My mistake was thinking biomed was gonna be just like that at uni.

For example, in the first topic of A-level biology, biological molecules, you got the different polymers: Proteins, amino acids, lipids and carbohydrates. And for each polymer, you could branch out to what the different monomers were, the different functions, structures, I just found the content easy and it just made sense to me. I used the 1st topic as an example but you could use any.

However, in biomedical science, there was just so many seemingly unconnected things to memorise imo. I'll see if I could send you the textbook to my functional anatomy course. But in those lessons we had to learn the different planes, like saggital, frontal and transverse, which wasn't that hard to memorise, but later on in the course, we had to learn ALL the epithelial cells, and if you go to that chapter, you'll see there's alot. And remember, that's just the textbook for one module, I also had human physiology, biochemistry and other modules that I can't remember. You didn't have to learn EVERYTHING in the textbook, only the things that the lecturer went through, but even then, the workload was almost unmanagable imo, now, I'm not trying to scare you, but you did ask for my experience.

It's important to bear in mind that most university courses are hard, but since I hated writing essays, refrencing, working in a lab, found the content boring, and I didn't wanna work in the healthcare sector. It made sense for me to drop out.

But if you like those things, your experience would be different. Everything I wrote was based on the biomed course at the University of Westminster.

Hope that helped.
(edited 1 year ago)
I can't send the textbook through here, probably cos the files too large. But if you want it, feel free to PM me with your email, so I could just send it to you like that instead.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending