The Student Room Group

Film Portfolio

So what did yours consist of when applying to university / foundation course for the interview? This should be interesting. :smile:

What do you feel are must-have's in a film portfolio?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
spacecowboy_89
So what did yours consist of when applying to university / foundation course for the interview? This should be interesting. :smile:

It's best to include a variety of pieces of work on DVD (a range of genres if you can), some examples of essays you've written, photographs and sketches if you're into those, and examples of graphics or music productions if you do those too. Also, scripts might be useful.
Reply 2
cpj1987
It's best to include a variety of pieces of work on DVD (a range of genres if you can), some examples of essays you've written, photographs and sketches if you're into those, and examples of graphics or music productions if you do those too. Also, scripts might be useful.

Alreet thanks.

But how do you present it all? Just put the DVD in some plastic seal and the scripts / photos et cetera in a ring binder folder or something?

Sorry, really don't know how you are to present these things. :frown:
Reply 3
spacecowboy_89
Alreet thanks.

But how do you present it all? Just put the DVD in some plastic seal and the scripts / photos et cetera in a ring binder folder or something?

Sorry, really don't know how you are to present these things. :frown:

Something like that, yeah.
I keep my portfolio in a black folder, with built-in plastic wallets. I've got CD/DVD cases stuck to the inside front cover, and work mounted on card inside the wallets.
Reply 4
A3 folder or A4 size? And also, is it better to show a DVD with different works on or just say, one short film in its entirety?

If the former, how many films do you put on the DVD? Also, how do you transcend from one to the other? Just with a normal edit or with titles preceding each short film i.e. "here's a short from ..." "short from ..." etc?

Sorry for the questions. Will +rep you when my 24 hour limit or whatever the hell it is runs out. :wink:
Reply 5
spacecowboy_89
A3 folder or A4 size? And also, is it better to show a DVD with different works on or just say, one short film in its entirety?

If the former, how many films do you put on the DVD? Also, how do you transcend from one to the other? Just with a normal edit or with titles preceding each short film i.e. "here's a short from ..." "short from ..." etc?

Sorry for the questions. Will +rep you when my 24 hour limit or whatever the hell it is runs out. :wink:

A4's probably best. Easier to carry, and still enough to fit everything you need in.
I'd put a variety on the DVD if you have enough that you're happy with. Perhaps a short show reel with a few clips if you can do that? An example of my show reel is at http://cpj1987.weebly.com/productions.html.
It's not got a lot on it at the moment, but it gives an example of one possible way to present your work. :smile:
If you've only got one piece you're happy with, though, just present that.
Reply 6
That's great, thanks a lot for the help. :smile:
Reply 7
spacecowboy_89
That's great, thanks a lot for the help. :smile:

No problem. Good luck. :biggrin:
Reply 8
spacecowboy_89

Drawings, stills of films (if you know that they won't be viewing the reel when you have your interview), scripts, anything that is in-a-word creative. On my portfolio DVD I had still images of 'worlds' that I made in level design, for example.

With film/tv related work I'd put it all on a dvd but also create a 5-minute show-reel with some highlights from your productions.

Try and present your work as best as you can, some of the interviewers liked it that I printed the DVD and not just scribbled my name onto it.
Reply 9
$loth
Drawings, stills of films (if you know that they won't be viewing the reel when you have your interview), scripts, anything that is in-a-word creative. On my portfolio DVD I had still images of 'worlds' that I made in level design, for example.

With film/tv related work I'd put it all on a dvd but also create a 5-minute show-reel with some highlights from your productions.

Try and present your work as best as you can, some of the interviewers liked it that I printed the DVD and not just scribbled my name onto it.

Hey thanks for the help.

Printed the DVD? What do you mean by that?
Reply 10
spacecowboy_89
Hey thanks for the help.

Printed the DVD? What do you mean by that?

You can print your CDs using machines such as these ones:

http://www.discmakers.com/duplicators/printers/

Obviously they're expensive but some places will have them to operate just as a service for individual use.

You can also get much cheaper CD label printing kits (which I use at the moment) such as the PressIt kit on here, which just prints using a normal printer and has a small plastic thing to help you put the label in place:

http://www.dvd-and-media.com/cd-label-discplanet-kit.htm
Wow, epic, cheers.

Do you know what shops operate them for individual use? I'm interested.
Reply 12
Not sure about shops unfortunately, I did mine using a lightscribe DVD burner. Try calling some photo shops.
Reply 13
Also not sure about which shops do it, aside from some small local ones in Preston. Most universities will have a printing shop that does it, but obviously that doesn't help you!
Reply 14
sorry to interrupt here..but does it matter if you have several DVDs for the portfolio? or everything has to be on one DVD? oh and one more question can you take photogrpahs which are not related to film e.g. scenery
Reply 15
denz90
sorry to interrupt here..but does it matter if you have several DVDs for the portfolio? or everything has to be on one DVD? oh and one more question can you take photogrpahs which are not related to film e.g. scenery

All photographs are a good idea, yeah. You're showing your creativity and talent, so use as wide a variety as possible.
It doesn't matter if you use lots of DVDs or just one, but of course you'll want to make things as easy as possible - any reason why you want to use several?
Reply 16
the reason to use several is to make my portfolio stronger, i have 2 dvds to show a film trailer and a short movie. i also have a group project i did so i was thinking to take all of them in but not sure if the group project would be helpful, but was not sure to put it all in one DVD, on the letter it said a 5 minute show reel or DVD so i am quit confused
Reply 17
denz90
the reason to use several is to make my portfolio stronger, i have 2 dvds to show a film trailer and a short movie. i also have a group project i did so i was thinking to take all of them in but not sure if the group project would be helpful, but was not sure to put it all in one DVD, on the letter it said a 5 minute show reel or DVD so i am quit confused

If I were you I'd put the film trailer, short movie and group project all on the same disc. Use a DVD creator that gives you the option to produce menus, and make sure you give them informative titles. :smile:
Reply 18
thanks will do that. and another question..do i need to have write ups for all the projects i have done, i have also created a storyboard to include in the portfolio and they have also asked me if i could bring in a marked assignment, would that mean an essay?, the interview date was give on a very short notice, the interview is in 3 days and the letter came in on friday..so stressful
Reply 19
denz90
thanks will do that. and another question..do i need to have write ups for all the projects i have done, i have also created a storyboard to include in the portfolio and they have also asked me if i could bring in a marked assignment, would that mean an essay?, the interview date was give on a very short notice, the interview is in 3 days and the letter came in on friday..so stressful

No need to include all write-ups, but pre-production paperwork is a good idea, so definitely include the storyboard.
As for the marked assignment, that's an essay, yes.
I can imagine how stressful it is at such short notice, but I'm sure you'll be fine. If you've any more questions let me know; and good luck. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending