The Student Room Group

Film Portfolio

Scroll to see replies

Hello Denz.
Allow me to offer you some information about the Derby course.
This course is a practical programme that gives you the opportunity to explore the potential of moving images using both 16mm film and digital video. It encourages you to be original and highly creative enabling you to explore your personal agenda, use your imagination, be experimental, take risks, think and act professionally and encourages your desire to communicate with an audience.
This is taken straight from the Uni's website, so here's a link to it to make both our lives easier :smile:
http://www.derby.ac.uk/film-and-video-production-ba-hons?csId=3806391&eduCourseSearchText=film+and+video+production
I was just going to ask; if I were to include some A3 canvas art I've done (montages and paintwork), should I bring that along with me or will photos of such pieces be sufficient? If so, how big should the photos be, roughly?

Many thanks and will definitely +rep!
Reply 102
Hi spacecowboy.

In response to your question a few days ago that I didn't notice (sorry!) all pieces can come from the same production.
As for the A3 canvas art; ideally it should be scanned, or otherwise photographed, onto A4. A3 isn't practical to carry to interviews, and can be an effort to organise and show at speed if required; whereas A4 images can be placed into your portfolio like the rest.

:smile:
Can pieces come from a planned future production? I've done a storyboard for the first scene of a film I aim to make, as well as a script for the very same scene. They both accompany each other. Is that okay, considering the film project hasn't been made or shall I just use a storyboard / script extract from one of my already made films?

As for the A3 canvas art, I have no scanner so I photographed them, photoshopped them to give them more contrast (my camera is not the best) and hope to print them off (my printer is pretty bad though..). Is it okay that two of the works are pop art paintings unrelated to film (the montages all are, however)?

Also, should they be printed so each one covers a whole A4 page, is that what you are saying?

Can't thank you enough for all your help. If the member restriction wasn't there, you'd have two +rep's by now. And don't apologise for not responding / seeing my question on here! You've done loads to help me which I'm so grateful for (I can only express my appreciation through mere words and +rep unfortunately).

Thanks again. And I should be apologising for all the questions!

EDIT- grr still 23 hours to wait before I can +rep you, Will definitely do so though, don't you worry!
Reply 104
spacecowboy_89
Can pieces come from a planned future production? I've done a storyboard for the first scene of a film I aim to make, as well as a script for the very same scene. They both accompany each other. Is that okay, considering the film project hasn't been made or shall I just use a storyboard / script extract from one of my already made films?

Using something still in pre-production is fine. It's important that you show your skills and design techniques - these don't need to be shown through something that's already been produced.

spacecowboy_89
As for the A3 canvas art, I have no scanner so I photographed them, photoshopped them to give them more contrast (my camera is not the best) and hope to print them off (my printer is pretty bad though..). Is it okay that two of the works are pop art paintings unrelated to film (the montages all are, however)?

Also, should they be printed so each one covers a whole A4 page, is that what you are saying?

That sounds like it should be fine, yeah. Your artwork doesn't have to be at all related; again, you're showing your creativity and your artistic influence. :smile: Put each on one A4 page so that they look neat and are big enough to examine properly.

spacecowboy_89
Can't thank you enough for all your help. If the member restriction wasn't there, you'd have two +rep's by now. And don't apologise for not responding / seeing my question on here! You've done loads to help me which I'm so grateful for (I can only express my appreciation through mere words and +rep unfortunately).

Thanks again. And I should be apologising for all the questions!

EDIT- grr still 23 hours to wait before I can +rep you, Will definitely do so though, don't you worry!

Aw, don't worry about the rep, seriously; I'm just happy to help. It's great that you're getting so prepared and really focusing on this - you'll do great. :smile:
Nah I definitely owe you +rep, that's the very least I can do. Thank you very much again. The only thing I fear is that I have too much text in my portfolio and not enough of this:

It's important that you show your skills and design techniques - these don't need to be shown through something that's already been produced.

Have any examples of skill and design techniques? You just mean storyboard, script, production design sketches etc right...or am I missing too much of this?

Thanks again. :biggrin:
Reply 106
spacecowboy_89
Nah I definitely owe you +rep, that's the very least I can do. Thank you very much again. The only thing I fear is that I have too much text in my portfolio and not enough of this:

Have any examples of skill and design techniques? You just mean storyboard, script, production design sketches etc right...or am I missing too much of this?

Thanks again. :biggrin:

You're exactly right with storyboards and scripts. The content of what you write, or include, is important; but you also have to ensure the best possible layout - something that looks creative and well thought-out is far more enticing than a few scribbled images or massive blocks of badly formatted text. THAT'S what they're looking for.
Well I'm glad you said that, because the layout of my storyboard is quite unique (or cliché depending on how you look at them)...

Thanks again.

I was also wondering whether a page or two on film ideas I've thought of is worth including. If not, then I probably won't bother with it. It's just bullet points of film plots that have come to mind during 2008. A complete waster or worth it?
Reply 108
spacecowboy_89
Well I'm glad you said that, because the layout of my storyboard is quite unique (or cliché depending on how you look at them)...

Thanks again.

I was also wondering whether a page or two on film ideas I've thought of is worth including. If not, then I probably won't bother with it. It's just bullet points of film plots that have come to mind during 2008. A complete waster or worth it?

It certainly wouldn't be necessary, but there's definitely no harm in including it. Depending on the individual interviewer, they might take an interest in your ideas and question you in more detail; another chance to show your creativity.
Okay cheers again! :biggrin:

Many thanks.
Hi I'm currently gavering bits together for my portfolio for an interview next week and have a few long questions. Sorry :smile: :

For the DVD
1) Would a 4 minute trailer be too long, as I've tried shorterning one I did for Media and it just looses all its structure and impact. Do the extracts shown on a show reel have to make sense, tell a story or is it just the visual images and sound the interviewers will be interested in?
2) I have recently tried my hand at stop animation, it's my first attempt, it's not that amazing and is unfinished, should I still include this to show I am experimenting in different areas of film?
How would I piece together a compilation?

Portfolio
1) As I am a keen artist and drawer and made lots of drawings and paintings of designs for costume and set, are these really that important to include? What is the limit?
2) I also have photographs from projects in the past that have no link to films, should I still include these? Would I still have to annotate them, as I wouldn't know how to link them to the course?

3) Would a English Literature essay be presented in plastic sleeves like the rest of the work?

Lastly any ideas for structuring the portfolio from beginning to end? How did you show yours?

Thank you!
Sorry again for length
There's no specific limit, and I would aim to be as varied as possible with my media i.e. film essays, reviews, storyboards, sketches and whatever to show creativity and diversity. As for the DVD length, I do not know. Photography shows creativity and is a similar media to film really; both require aesthetics. So yes, it would be fine to include photography not relating to film.
Reply 112
Everything spacecowboy has said is true.

To expand:

A 4 minute trailer isn't too long for the DVD. Some tutors will be interested in watching and discussing the whole thing, but others might want something shorter and more snappy so perhaps include a showreel to appease them as well.
Your showreel doesn't need a narrative, but separate each different project clearly (perhaps using a quick title screen to explain what's to follow). Definitely include the stop motion animation - it's difficult to get right and a rarer art form nowadays, so showing that you've given it a go is a good thing.
For a basic example (the very first show-reel I did, back in the day) see: http://cpj1987.weebly.com/productions.html

Include the pictures and photos, definitely. As spacecowboy said, there's no limit but show variety; and still annotate them to explain your motivation and technique. Also, definitely put the Eng Lit essay in a plastic sleeve.

As for structuring your portfolio, there's really no specific way. The way in which you present your work is as individual as the work you do. Personally, I'm fairly minimalist.
My portfolio's obviously not for applying to university courses, but the basics are the same. Mine has two CD wallets sealed into the front cover (one for specific work, one for my production company - though in my earlier years these catered instead as one for TV, one for film). I then have plastic wallets holding my newspaper/magazine articles, photographs, artwork and other paper-based demonstrations.
I was just wondering myself actually; is it okay to use music from actual Hollywood films in your showreel or not? Like can I use a certain film theme from a film OST during a scene in one of my films or not?
Thank you to you both for taking the time to answer my questions, you've been very helpful.
And nice show reel!
:smile:
Reply 115
spacecowboy_89
I was just wondering myself actually; is it okay to use music from actual Hollywood films in your showreel or not? Like can I use a certain film theme from a film OST during a scene in one of my films or not?

I'd recommend against it personally. There are no real problems with it, specifically - but you might encourage questions about copyright and your motives. It's easier for you, to avoid trouble, to source your own music - particularly for any films that weren't created on an A-Level course when copyright does become more of an issue.
Of course, if using someone else's music is unavoidable (i.e. on a film you've already made, and not easily dubbed over) then you'll be fine including the scene - but be prepared for the stricter admissions tutors to question it.
How about from music files on the internet that are free to use / download (legally) / video game music?
Reply 117
spacecowboy_89
How about from music files on the internet that are free to use / download (legally) / video game music?

Absolutely, yes. Royalty free tracks are fine - but check the terms of each one in detail because some creators still want credit for their work and still want you to contact them for permission.
Well that's great news because those were the clips I was intending to use.

Thanks for the help (again!) :smile:
Reply 119
My interview for northumbria media production is on 11th March and I'm terrified

How should I put my portfolio together? In some kind of folder?

Also, does anyone have some media terminology as I dont do media studies for A level so I really am screwed for the essay and Im trying to learn as much as I can before i go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending