The Student Room Group

What shall I do?

Ok, here's a question.

I have 8 months to do absolutely anything at all. I have around 3 grand which I've been saving from work for a few months. It's not that much but it could keep me going for a while.

I've had some vague ideas about travelling and I'd like to see India. I also have friends in Australia and China at the moment so I might go and see them as well. But 8 months is a hell of a long time so I will probably end up needing to do various other things...

I feel like there is so much time and there are plenty of things I could achieve in the coming months, but I have no fixed ideas and I am pretty useless at making firm choices about anything. The last thing I want to do is spend the time doing nothing and my job has reached its lowest ebb (as has my sanity whilst unpacking boxes day in day out).

So........ ideas! What would you do with 8 months and 3000 quid? What did you do with a year off? What are you planning to do with your year off? I didn't put this in the Gap Year sub forum because that place is about alive as the Dodo. :biggrin: Also I want as much input as possible - even from people not on Gap Years.

(Just a side note: I really like writing. It sounds dull but I really enjoy it, so if you can think of anything which might involve that... :confused: ) Oh and French. I like French a lot and I feel I'm losing it a bit since A Level. Doesn't mean I necessarily want to spend ages in France (my money'd run out PDQ there anyway). But just another idea...

Final point - I looked at some organisations but they charge so much. It's crazy. So if poss I'd like to steer clear.

Any ideas at all are welcome.... I am sure I'll regret saying that after some of our spammers arrive later this evening. :p: But seriously - anything at all.

Danke for reading. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
englishstudent
Ok, here's a question.

I have 8 months to do absolutely anything at all. I have around 3 grand which I've been saving from work for a few months. It's not that much but it could keep me going for a while.

I've had some vague ideas about travelling and I'd like to see India. I also have friends in Australia and China at the moment so I might go and see them as well. But 8 months is a hell of a long time so I will probably end up needing to do various other things...

I feel like there is so much time and there are plenty of things I could achieve in the coming months, but I have no fixed ideas and I am pretty useless at making firm choices about anything. The last thing I want to do is spend the time doing nothing and my job has reached its lowest ebb (as has my sanity whilst unpacking boxes day in day out).

So........ ideas! What would you do with 8 months and 3000 quid? What did you do with a year off? What are you planning to do with your year off? I didn't put this in the Gap Year sub forum because that place is about alive as the Dodo. :biggrin: Also I want as much input as possible - even from people not on Gap Years.

(Just a side note: I really like writing. It sounds dull but I really enjoy it, so if you can think of anything which might involve that... :confused: ) Oh and French. I like French a lot and I feel I'm losing it a bit since A Level. Doesn't mean I necessarily want to spend ages in France (my money'd run out PDQ there anyway). But just another idea...

Final point - I looked at some organisations but they charge so much. It's crazy. So if poss I'd like to steer clear.

Any ideas at all are welcome.... I am sure I'll regret saying that after some of our spammers arrive later this evening. :p: But seriously - anything at all.

Have a look around for flights ticket offers. some companie offer so many stops for so much cash. Then choose some places you fancy going and look up and some local projects in that area. Some places appreciate the help if you can ouse and feed yourselves. Look at small charities in particular and contact their head office and see what you can arrange.
You're pretty lucky to have money/time. I'm on a gap year working and I haven't saved very much to be honest. I need to get it sorted. I'd love to travel/write/read- but I'm so tired from working abd doing extra lessons that I haven't even finished reading the book I started in September!

Sorry- don't wanna go on about myself just drifted off!

I'm sure there are creative writing workshops, etc so maybe you could try one of them. Travelling to the places you mentionned will be a great incentive to write- I say go for it! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the ideas! I'll look into tickets with a few stops - that sounds like just the job. Also like the idea of creative writing workshops... hadn't thought of that. :smile:

Any further ideas/input from anyone? (ie. I am moving the thread to the top again. :p: )
Reply 4
How about doing some journalism in another country? Its fairly easy to get work placements in newspapers in places like India ( know someone who did so ) The kind of experience she got there would not have been available to her here at this age and it looks great on her c.v. too!
Reply 5
mxox
How about doing some journalism in another country? Its fairly easy to get work placements in newspapers in places like India ( know someone who did so ) The kind of experience she got there would not have been available to her here at this age and it looks great on her c.v. too!

Hmmm, that's a plan actually. Do you know how long your friend went for?

Also I love your sig! :biggrin:

Edit: And your avatar! Two awesome films. :smile:
Re-Edit: In fact, I might go watch Donnie Darko now.
Reply 6
look into inter railing around europe perhaps? you have the time and money! then try to travel to the places you mentioned and do some voluntary/charity work as someone suggested whilst you're there. im on a gap year at the moment too, hoping to go to france and get a job/ some work experience there to stay on top of my french :smile:
Reply 7
englishstudent
Ok, here's a question.

You could go somewhere in Africa or South America for french- that'd be cheaper than living in France.

If you like writing then try writing a novel or your memoirs or something. If you're going travelling you could write a proper travel journal or even a novel based on it.

Personally with £3k i'd just go to Vegas and spend it all on coke and hookers, but that's not for everyone.
Reply 8
Va Voom
look into inter railing around europe perhaps? you have the time and money! then try to travel to the places you mentioned and do some voluntary/charity work as someone suggested whilst you're there. im on a gap year at the moment too, hoping to go to france and get a job/ some work experience there to stay on top of my french :smile:

Did Interrailing in the summer with friends and it was brilliant! :biggrin: One of the best months of my life definitely. That's my other concern though, I did that with two friends which was great but travelling alone.. not sure how good it'd be. :questionm
Reply 9
puppy
You could go somewhere in Africa or South America for french- that'd be cheaper than living in France.

If you like writing then try writing a novel or your memoirs or something. If you're going travelling you could write a proper travel journal or even a novel based on it.

Personally with £3k i'd just go to Vegas and spend it all on coke and hookers, but that's not for everyone.

Coke and hookers hey - I'm more of a Pepsi man myself. :aetsch: Taxi!
Reply 10
englishstudent
Hmmm, that's a plan actually. Do you know how long your friend went for?

Also I love your sig! :biggrin:

Edit: And your avatar! Two awesome films. :smile:
Re-Edit: In fact, I might go watch Donnie Darko now.

She was there for about a month I think .. she worked in television.. but a creative writing bookshop as has been mentioned before sounds really tempting too. I think you should decide first whether you want to (a) gain some experience through a work placement, (b) do voluntary work, (c) do a paid job or (d) learn something like french classes which you mentioned. Then look at where you want to go. Would really love to be in your position though!
And yeah just saw KB 2 recently n loved it! Getting quite into these gory movies :biggrin: . Donnie Darko was awesome too and each time you watch it again makes so much more sense. Must admit I was v. stumped the first time :redface:
ok...I think I got a ton of ideas for you

ok you are interested in French and English...but what sort of work do you want to get into in the future? As in like law, or television or what?? Because now is the perfect time to get some work experience under your belt. I am studying and working in India (which I will get on to later) but when I came back to London in the December holiday I worked for the BBC for a while - bear in mind this was JUST work experience. you can get a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of a month with the BBC but that might not be what you are interested in although there are a lot of fields that you can explore within the BBC so give this a thought - not just the BBC but any other work experience and get applying fast - research the internet and write to companies asking for work experience - this will take up a month max so that means 7 months left

Now, yes you could travel...and I agree that the organizations are quite expensive to work with. See, I'm doing a teaching placement in Africa this summer and just the placement for a month which includes accomodation and breakfast dinner and travel is 1100 pounds. but this is quite good seeing that it is paying for my accomodation for a full month plus the food and travel to and from my placement. However this might be on the expensive side for you especially as you need this 3000 to keep you goin for the next 8 months. however check out www.travellersworldwide.com they could help you but will surely be on the expensive side!

Now you could do a lot of work in other countries which is paid work. I don't know much about this but I know it is possible for you to get a placement in a country abroad doing something you love and getting paid for it. Seeing as you are an english student you may want to look into teaching english placements abroad which are paid placements. I know it is possible so research into this if you want

Now as I was saying I am in India at present and I know it is possible for you to come here, travel and stay, and also maybe do some voluntary work for quite cheap. India is a cheap place to live in especially if you are from the U.K where everything is expensive however some places are more expensive than others. My dad came to India to visit me and stayed 3 nights in the city I am in and it cost him 110 pounds for accomodation for those 3 nights including tax. So this could be either cheap or expensive for you but when you have 3000 pounds to survive on I wouldn't reccomend south india although it is the best!!

As far as going to Australia and China, that is a brilliant idea because not only will you see your firneds but you will have accomodation provided for as well i'm guessing. However, if your like me, the you can't just think your going for a holiday. To me, I need to be doing something with my time instead of just going on holiday for a month and relaxing. Maybe see what kind of work you can get there - china has some good opportuinities regarding social work/voluntary work etc.

Another Idea :idea: - the Tsunami disaster. You could go away to sri lanka and help out as much as you can. There is so much help needed there and if your into this sort of thing then try and do that for a month maybe

Finally as I have no run out of ideas, Get a paid job in the U.K for a couple of months. Maybe an internship around wher you stay!

BUT whatever you do, don't waste the next 8 months. You can learn a lot and have a load of fun while doing it so let me know if you need any more guidance because right now my minds blank and I think this message is way to long!!!!! PM me if anything ok!!

Good Luck and hope this helped!

Love Ladyshort
Thanks that is so helpful! I will PM you later. Doing some research at the moment. Also remind me to rep you (can't at the moment). :smile:
not a problem - let me know if anything else - I just read what everyone else said in response to your initial post as I hadn't read it before and they also have a lot of ideas. That website I gave you also does a journalism placement in Nairobi, Kenya which I was going to go for but it is in a dangerous part of Nairobi hence my fiance isn't too keen on me living there for a month and also again on the expensive side!!! anyways PM me if anything

Glad I could Help

Love Ladyshort
Good places to visit; Jamaica, South Africa, New Zealand, Hawaii, Canada, Saudi Arabia.
haha -thanx 4 the rep guys but realy not needed - just trying to help! :wink: anything else - just PM

Love Ladyshort
Reply 16
www.gapyear.com has good travelling advice, plus info on each country - idea of cost, plus comparisons for cheapest flights of the moment.

i'm going interrailing in the summer with my boyfriend! i cann't wait. also, www.busabout.com is worth looking at.
Reply 17
hey. u may be interested in becoming a european volunteer (18-25) .

this allows you to work abroad on various projects for 6-12 months. so whats the deal? u get to work in a foreign country and trully discover and be immersed in its culture (and meet other volunteers), u may pay a small (project) fee however most expenses are paid by the european union (+u get a little pocket money).

its a way to spend 6 months constructively, whilse not spending a penny (food and accomodation normally provided).

after that, ull be able to splash out ur £3000 on something really special (and amasing holiday)

sunjuice
Reply 18
o and BTW if ever ur interested call/email Concordia (or u can volunteer on other short term projects organised by them for not too much)

Concordia
Heversham House
20-22 Boundary Road
Hove
BN3 4ET
Tel: 0044 (0)1273 422218
Fax: 0044 (0)1273 421182
[email protected]
www.concordia-iye.org.uk

hope it helps (or it may not be for u)

sunjuice
Reply 19
I'm going to Australia next year, and I've been given a lot of informal advice you might find useful. Firstly, you really don't need to worry about travelling on your own. There is a massive network of decent hostels right up the east coast of Australia, full of British backpackers, and I gather that most people tend to just latch on to a group for a few days before drifting off to join another one. It's very relaxed and informal. So you could meet up with your friends for a while and then go off and do what you want to do.

I've heard something about bus companies like this. You basically buy a ticket and tour around Australia, getting on and off wherever you like. It isn't for everyone, but I've heard the atmosphere on these buses can be pretty...er...vibrant. :biggrin:

I'm also going to Fiji next year for a ten week stint of diving and reef surveying with a charity called Greenforce. I know organisations like this can be expensive (my Fiji trip is £2000+), but they're really worth thinking about. Greenforce will teach me how to dive on totally untouched coral reefs, and then give me the chance to mix with an entirely different culture and actually do something to help people, so I can go off to uni feeling not only suntanned but noble. :p: This kind of stuff is expensive but it's a real experience of living in a completely different environment, which you might never get another chance to do. You can probably tell that I'm really looking forward to it. :biggrin:

Hope that's of some use. :smile:

Latest