The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SophistiCat
I'm sure there are creative writing workshops, etc so maybe you could try one of them. Travelling to the places you mentionned will be a great incentive to write- I say go for it! :smile:

I did a creative writing workshop in Florence 2 summers ago and it was a near total waste of money. It was geared mainly toward older people who had lost their spark of creativity or had writers block rather than a young person still full of ideas anxious for more skills of how actually to get them down on paper effectively. A lot of it was "my hands are butterflies" visualizations and hokey stuff like that. I am definitely a writer and you don't need a class to feel inspired, just travel and you'll be amazed at how your thoughts change and ideas start flowing just by your surroundings and the people you watch. It's amazing to sit in cathedrals in France or a tea house in China and just write. I totally recommend just going wherever you feel you could be inspired and seeing what it has to offer.
Reply 21
I agree with what someone else said - you're really lucky to have 3 grand to blow on travelling. I personally would do something adventurous - climb Kilimanjaro, wildlife stuff in Alaska, bungee NZ.... you can do anything you want!

Hm, you could put all the money on a credit card, fly to Vancouver, buy a bike, and cycle down to Mexico staying at hotels and eating at restuarants as you go along. When your clothes get dirty, just donate them to charity and buy new ones :biggrin:
£ 3,000 mightn't last long like that though.
Reply 22
Just a thought I had, if you're keen to keep up your French, why not think about going to somewhere like Togo or Senegal in Africa for a month or so. Your money will go much furthur than in France, the weather will be much better and it's a little big more adventurous!
Reply 23
Its so easy to think about all the pit falls that may decend on you but what the heck. go for it mate the memories are what make live bearable on the down times remember if you have no memories of good times you will remain down for longer.....have fun good luck. J. :smile: :smile:

englishstudent
Ok, here's a question.

I have 8 months to do absolutely anything at all. I have around 3 grand which I've been saving from work for a few months. It's not that much but it could keep me going for a while.

I've had some vague ideas about travelling and I'd like to see India. I also have friends in Australia and China at the moment so I might go and see them as well. But 8 months is a hell of a long time so I will probably end up needing to do various other things...

I feel like there is so much time and there are plenty of things I could achieve in the coming months, but I have no fixed ideas and I am pretty useless at making firm choices about anything. The last thing I want to do is spend the time doing nothing and my job has reached its lowest ebb (as has my sanity whilst unpacking boxes day in day out).

So........ ideas! What would you do with 8 months and 3000 quid? What did you do with a year off? What are you planning to do with your year off? I didn't put this in the Gap Year sub forum because that place is about alive as the Dodo. :biggrin: Also I want as much input as possible - even from people not on Gap Years.

(Just a side note: I really like writing. It sounds dull but I really enjoy it, so if you can think of anything which might involve that... :confused: ) Oh and French. I like French a lot and I feel I'm losing it a bit since A Level. Doesn't mean I necessarily want to spend ages in France (my money'd run out PDQ there anyway). But just another idea...

Final point - I looked at some organisations but they charge so much. It's crazy. So if poss I'd like to steer clear.

Any ideas at all are welcome.... I am sure I'll regret saying that after some of our spammers arrive later this evening. :p: But seriously - anything at all.

Danke for reading. :smile:
Reply 24
Become an au pair - if you like children, this is the BEST job.

www.aupaircompany.com
if u want to do a tour of europe, i would really recommend contiki. its budget esp if u camp. http://www.contiki.com/en-GB/

Latest