The Student Room Group

Law at Uni of York

What are the chances of LLB law being available via clearing? I have received an offer for sociology from Uni of York, but I'm more interested in studying Law.
(edited 1 year ago)
I’d say zero tbh. York have had more applications this year than ever before, in fact applications full stop have been up for law at most competitive unis. York has a very small cohort for LLB, around 180 places and because of the way it’s taught they don’t want to increase their numbers (it’s quite lecturer intense compared to other unis). I should think they’ll take near misses or equivalent from firm offer holders over going into clearing.

You can sometimes get an idea how full courses are by if the Uni has put places into Extra, it isn’t a given but it’s at least a sign the course isn’t full. There were NO RG in Extra at all this year for LLB Law. There’s usually 1 or 2. I think that indicates it’s going to be an interesting year for clearing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think it’s important to be realistic. York hasn’t been in clearing for law for years. I’d start thinking about a plan B.
Barry is speaking facts here.

Another RG uni should be in clearing for law though. Liverpool always are and were even in clearing COVID years for law at BBB.
Sheffield, Cardiff, Newcastle, Southampton could be possible options too.

If you want to change course because you no longer want to do sociology, then York and other good unis will be in clearing for other courses.
Original post by LawStudent456
Barry is speaking facts here.

Another RG uni should be in clearing for law though. Liverpool always are and were even in clearing COVID years for law at BBB.
Sheffield, Cardiff, Newcastle, Southampton could be possible options too.

If you want to change course because you no longer want to do sociology, then York and other good unis will be in clearing for other courses.

Both Sheffield & Cardiff are hugely up on LLB applicants this year. Cardiff are honest & have said they’ve been in clearing before but aren’t sure they will be this year due to the applicant numbers (I’d imagine they’ll take near misses instead). I believe them. Liverpool, yes perhaps but I don’t know their numbers this year.

I think what we’re seeing this year is the tail end of the covid years. There were a lot who got rejected last year with good grades (due to overhang from 20/21 covid years) but didn’t want to compromise on their Uni so took gap years. I believe this is why numbers are still higher than historically, but also perhaps because law generally is competitive & is growing as a favoured subject.

All the OP can do is see, but I wouldn’t recommend hoping on many of the mid tier being in clearing for straight LLB, or at least with v few spaces, maybe the odd dual degree. Of course no one has a crystal ball. Good luck OP, I hope you’ll find something.
Reply 4
Original post by BarryScott2022
Both Sheffield & Cardiff are hugely up on LLB applicants this year. Cardiff are honest & have said they’ve been in clearing before but aren’t sure they will be this year due to the applicant numbers (I’d imagine they’ll take near misses instead). I believe them. Liverpool, yes perhaps but I don’t know their numbers this year.

I think what we’re seeing this year is the tail end of the covid years. There were a lot who got rejected last year with good grades (due to overhang from 20/21 covid years) but didn’t want to compromise on their Uni so took gap years. I believe this is why numbers are still higher than historically, but also perhaps because law generally is competitive & is growing as a favoured subject.

All the OP can do is see, but I wouldn’t recommend hoping on many of the mid tier being in clearing for straight LLB, or at least with v few spaces, maybe the odd dual degree. Of course no one has a crystal ball. Good luck OP, I hope you’ll find something.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.
I actually have an update, I recently found out my college made a mistake with one of my predicted grades, and after informing york of them, they changed my offer to LLB law with criminology.

My question is, is it better to do straight law or a dual degree, I want to (hopefully) do a masters in law in the future, then join a law firm.
Original post by Ananya.289
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
I actually have an update, I recently found out my college made a mistake with one of my predicted grades, and after informing york of them, they changed my offer to LLB law with criminology.

My question is, is it better to do straight law or a dual degree, I want to (hopefully) do a masters in law in the future, then join a law firm.

Straight law. Dual degree (Law and …) means you’d have to do the conversion course. A law WITH course would still be qualifying law degree.

Masters is a complete waste of time.
If it’s M1L6 it’s a qualifying law degree. This means if you wanted to be a barrister you’d not need to do a conversion course. SQE for solicitor means you no longer need a qualifying law degree anyway BUT many of the prestigious law firms still require you to do some of the GDL units, so have some legal education anyway. Not an issue for you either way as it’s a qualifying degree.

So it’s up to you really. Remember 50% of solicitors don’t have law degrees anyway & choose to do the route I described above albeit it’s recently changed with SQE.

If you desperately want to go to York then go for it.

Agree about the LLM, waste of time & money unless you want to go into academia. Most solicitors with LLMs say they wish they hadn’t bothered. It’s your performance on your professional exams eg SQE & BC that they’ll look at once you have your degree.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
If it’s M1L6 it’s a qualifying law degree. This means if you wanted to be a barrister you’d not need to do a conversion course. SQE for solicitor means you no longer need a qualifying law degree anyway BUT many of the prestigious law firms still require you to do some of the GDL units, so have some legal education anyway. Not an issue for you either way as it’s a qualifying degree.

So it’s up to you really. Remember 50% of solicitors don’t have law degrees anyway & choose to do the route I described above albeit it’s recently changed with SQE.

Agree about the LLM, waste of time & money unless you want to go into academia. Most solicitors with LLMs say they wish they hadn’t bothered. It’s your performance on your professional exams eg SQE & BC that they’ll look at once you have your degree.

Okay great thanks :smile:
This was really helpful of you, I've been worrying about what to do, in the back of my mind for weeks now, and I've decided today to firm York for M1L6
Reply 8

One more question.

LawStudent456 has said that "Law and ..." is not a qualifying law degree, whereas "Law with ..." is.

Uni of York offers LLB law AND criminology. Based on what I've read and been told, it is still a qualifying law degree, is it not?
As full disclaimer I will say that some places don’t rate sole Criminology degrees as that good and they are up there with some of the degrees where it’s hard to get employment after, BUT as this is a qualifying Law degree from a prestigious Uni like York, I don’t think you could argue there’s an issue. You will find the law part will make up the majority of the degree due to the time needed to cover the mandatory modules to make it qualifying.

The website states that course is a qualifying law degree if you look near the bottom under Accreditation. Tbh I don’t think there’s a hard & fast rule on courses you really need to check as if they’re qualifying it’ll tell you. My understanding was LLB are qualifying, BA or BSc won’t be. As a rule of thumb but there are exceptions like Oxford which is a BA, so always best to check.

A0F6DB24-009A-4BE0-8602-2DA62F6B37CE.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
As full disclaimer I will say that some places don’t rate sole Criminology degrees as that good and they are up there with some of the degrees where it’s hard to get employment after, BUT as this is a qualifying Law degree from a prestigious Uni like York, I don’t think you could argue there’s an issue. You will find the law part will make up the majority of the degree due to the time needed to cover the mandatory modules to make it qualifying.

The website states that course is a qualifying law degree if you look near the bottom under Accreditation. Tbh I don’t think there’s a hard & fast rule on courses you really need to check as if they’re qualifying it’ll tell you. My understanding was LLB are qualifying, BA or BSc won’t be.

A0F6DB24-009A-4BE0-8602-2DA62F6B37CE.jpeg

Okay perfect, I did see this but I wasn't 100% sure.
Thanks sooo much :smile: this has been very helpful ◡̈

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending