The Student Room Group

islamic help needed!

I am trying to learn namaaz, but I have just started my period - am I allowed to continue to learn it - as i am not actually perfoming and I am just memorising - ty

Scroll to see replies

Original post by merson453
I am trying to learn namaaz, but I have just started my period - am I allowed to continue to learn it - as i am not actually perfoming and I am just memorising - ty

Salaam

You can watch videos and recite Quran and the words between movements but you should not dry run prayer whilst on your period
Reply 2
Original post by Zamestaneh
Salaam

You can watch videos and recite Quran and the words between movements but you should not dry run prayer whilst on your period

Is there any understanding of why Allah created menstruation and then ruled it to be unclean, or why it is unclean? Thanks
Original post by WADR
Is there any understanding of why Allah created menstruation and then ruled it to be unclean, or why it is unclean? Thanks

Qalu sami'na wa ata'na - They (the Believers) say "we hear and we obey"

The question is the same as asking why we raise our hands in prayer rather than fold our fingers together. Makes no difference and it is His divine decree and divine wisdom.

One could speculate that holistically when considering the general differences between men and women, they subsequently have different rights and responsibilities and have thus been legislated with a balance (Al-Mizaan), and thus the woman on her period still gets the reward of one who prayed rather than forcing her to make it up, for example. Allah has decided what this balance looks like.

But to clarify just incase you meant it another way, but a woman on her period is not considered "unclean" in the absolute sense, rather she is Junoob, which is the same state of being as one who has had intercourse or ejaculated, for example - one has to wash themselves before praying again, but naturally a woman can only wash herself when she has finished bleeding.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Salaam

thank you- just to clarify - i can continue to learn the words if i dont do the actions
Reply 5
The question is the same as asking why we raise our hands in prayer rather than fold our fingers together. Makes no difference and it is His divine decree and divine wisdom.

Not really. One is a simple, universal gesture that makes no difference to anyone, either way. The other is a decree that discriminates against and excludes women because of something beyond their control. Allah chose to make that decree so I was just wondering if there was any understanding behind it.

One could speculate that holistically when considering the general differences between men and women, they subsequently have different rights and responsibilities and have thus been legislated with a balance (Al-Mizaan), and thus the woman on her period still gets the reward of one who prayed rather than forcing her to make it up, for example. Allah has decided what this balance looks like.

But to clarify just incase you meant it another way, but a woman on her period is not considered "unclean" in the absolute sense, rather she is Junoob, which is the same state of being as one who has had intercourse or ejaculated, for example - one has to wash themselves before praying again, but naturally a woman can only wash herself when she has finished bleeding.

This just confirms that a menstruating woman is considered "ritually impure" in Islam, not why. Allah knows best, I guess.
As you said "we hear and we obey" - we do not question. Just seems like a strange ruling, given how natural and harmless menstruation is. Almost like a ruling made by archaic men rather than an omniscient god.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
thank you- just to clarify - i can continue to learn the words if i dont do the actions

Yes, you can learn the words and recite them to yourself.

Please note that you should not physically touch a copy of the Qur'an whilst on your period as you need to be in a state of Taharah (purity)
Original post by WADR
Not really. One is a simple, universal gesture that makes no difference to anyone, either way. The other is a decree that discriminates against and excludes women because of something beyond their control. Allah chose to make that decree so I was just wondering if there was any understanding behind it.

This just confirms that a menstruating woman is considered "ritually impure" in Islam, not why. Allah knows best, I guess.
As you said "we hear and we obey" - we do not question. Just seems like a strange ruling, given how natural and harmless menstruation is. Almost like a ruling made by archaic men rather than an omniscient god.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

It makes perfect sense rather than being the product of "archaic men". Simple reflection on what I have said shows that it favours women rather than discriminates against them as they are rewarded without having to pray whilst on their periods, and thinking logically about it: men and women alike are considered in a state of ritual impurity if they discharge from their front or back ends on a temporary basis.

People who are bleeding or discharging from their private parts may contaminate their place of prayer or soil scripture on their lap, especially since in the past they did not have tampons and such.

These are just some wisdoms that come from my reflection but the specifics of why this or why that is down to Allah.

Perhaps reflecting would serve you better too
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
It makes perfect sense rather than being the product of "archaic men". Simple reflection on what I have said shows that it favours women rather than discriminates against them as they are rewarded without having to pray whilst on their periods, and thinking logically about it: men and women alike are considered in a state of ritual impurity if they discharge from their front or back ends on a temporary basis.

People who are bleeding or discharging from their private parts may contaminate their place of prayer or soil scripture on their lap, especially since in the past they did not have tampons and such.

These are just some wisdoms that come from my reflection but the specifics of why this or why that is down to Allah.

Perhaps reflecting would serve you better too

So just to be clear, women today are not permitted to pray or even touch the Quran while they are menstruating because there were no feminine sanitary products available in ancient Arabia.

Thanks for the reply.
Original post by WADR
So just to be clear, women today are not permitted to pray or even touch the Quran while they are menstruating because there were no feminine sanitary products available in ancient Arabia.

Thanks for the reply.

Feminine sanitary products are not available to everyone today either, so you seem to keep wanting to push this ancient/archaic line as if it takes away from the truth or practice of Islam.

Think your main concern should be more to do with a disease of the heart rather than women's periods, but let's leave this here as it is not the thread for this kind of discussion.
Reply 10
Think your main concern should be more to do with a disease of the heart

Are you a cardiologist?
Or was it just the standard "Ur arrogant/ignorant!" response of the dogmatic religious apologist? :rolleyes:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
but let's leave this here as it is not the thread for this kind of discussion.

Ok. I'll start a thread in the Religion section and we can continue there (unless you are worried that your explanations won't stand up to close examination? I'll understand if you are.)
Reply 12
let's leave this here as it is not the thread for this kind of discussion.

I have started a thread on this topic...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7331139

Feel free to join in if you have anything more than simply "because the Quran says".
Original post by WADR
I have started a thread on this topic...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7331139

Feel free to join in if you have anything more than simply "because the Quran says".

Such debates are useless if you do not believe in God in the first place

as far as i know and practise, reciting Quran is prohibited during periods...you can listen to Quran on repeat and this way,you will be able to memorize quickly...i lietrally learned surah maryam this way....the tune and words start to put themselves together,and before long,you realise you have memorised it....and it is up to you,since people have diversed opinioins about it...some will say u can recite and some will say not to...it is under your control to decide which option you choose...all the best!

so true...i have also had an arguement with this person on a religious topic...he is quite after muslims and islam....don't know what has bitten him...

another point to be noted,please search for such religious questions on religious websites....just like you ask a maths question from a maths teacher, get ur doubts solved by someone who has mastered in this field....i m only saying this bcz everyone has different opinions and different limitations(like some girls wear hijab only while others match it to an abaya and a third group wearing a niqab,just that way)...you will only stay confused this way...just for your own benefit,and its upto you again!
Reply 17

I am happy to assume your version of god exists for the purposes of debate.
Who knows, maybe the strength of your argument will cure my "disease of the heart" (as you so nicely put it)?
Ah, but I forget, the outcome of all affairs are determined by Allah's decree and only he can guide or misguide me.
And he has chosen to misguide me. Isn't that right?
Reply 18
Original post by Saeed23
so true...i have also had an arguement with this person on a religious topic...he is quite after muslims and islam....don't know what has bitten him...

As I explained elsewhere, I will criticise and oppose discrimination, intolerance, hate, etc, wherever I see it, whether it is religious, political, or whatever.
I don't care that Muslims believe in Islam, or Christians Christianity, or Hindus Hinduism. But I do care when anyone, of any race, religion or gender, faces discrimination, intolerance, oppression, etc over something that beyond their control, or personal and harmless.
Don't you?

I also asked you to show anything I had said against any individual Muslim or Muslims in general, or that could be construed as "hate" rather than reasonable criticism. I notice you failed to do so.
But feel free to correct me over in the Religion section. Or any of the other sections where I post against hate, discrimination, intolerance, etc.
Reply 19
Original post by Saeed23
another point to be noted,please search for such religious questions on religious websites....just like you ask a maths question from a maths teacher, get ur doubts solved by someone who has mastered in this field....i m only saying this bcz everyone has different opinions and different limitations(like some girls wear hijab only while others match it to an abaya and a third group wearing a niqab,just that way)...you will only stay confused this way...just for your own benefit,and its upto you again!

You will find that Islamic websites will give different opinions on this as well, so it's just pot luck as to which site you happen to look at. Unless you look at several, and then you are back in the same boat.
It's just a shame that Allah and Muhammad weren't clear on these issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending