The Student Room Group

Continuing with masters?

Hello,
I'm currently studying towards an MSc in Air Pollution Management and Control. For the past couple of months I've not been enjoying the course so much, causing me to question whether I'd like to do a career in this area, or even complete the masters.
I'm doing well, academically, scoring high firsts on most of my assignments, but I'm just not finding the course very engaging or stimulating.
My undergraduate degree was in philosophy and politics in which I finished top of my class. I really enjoyed the undergrad, but decided not to pursue a masters in philosophy as I felt it had little relevance and importance.
After working for a year as a postman, I became very interested in air pollution and decided to pursue this masters.
However, I just find myself not as engaged by science and scientific concepts, etc., as opposed to the more 'human' or abstract concepts of my undergraduate.
On balance, I think I will complete the masters, as it dosen't necessarily tie me to work in this area and I will have gained lots of useful skills. Yet, the nagging feeling remains that maybe I should do something else.
Any thoughts/advice on this would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
How far through your masters are you? If you're already gone through and made the financial commitment, it may be worthwhile sticking with the program until the end so long as it's not going to impact you negatively (i.e., mental health).

As you mentioned that you are doing quite well and picking up skills, it could be worthwhile seeing it through. Is there a way you can tie in the more abstract concepts you came into contact with during your undergrad with the more scientific ones in your masters? If so, that may help you to feel more engaged.

If you decide to pursue another masters later in a field you have more interest in, having already completed a masters can make your application stand out and if you do well in the first masters it will demonstrate to admissions that you are capable of working at a masters level.

However, if you find yourself in a position where the degree is impacting your mental health severely, then I wouldn't recommend continuing - no degree is worth that.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending