The Student Room Group

I'm struggling in 3rd year so much

I'm finding 3rd year of university so hard, I'm studying biochemistry (at surrey) and I'm in 3rd year. I feel like I'm running out of time and i'm not getting the grades I want and it upsets me a lot. I feel like a failure and I feel so dumb. My friend was giving me advice saying that I might not compatible for this degree anymore in terms of grades and mentally. And I felt so dumb, like as if i'm not mentally strong enough for this degree anymore and like I can't do it. And there's so many deadlines upon deadlines upon deadlines. There's so many in 1 go. I feel like I can't keep up with the pace of this degree like I'm so behind in all lectures. And even in semester 1 my lecturer sat me down to say that from this uni you will walk out with a 2:2 and not 2:1 and this upset me a lot.

I don't know what to do, I just feel so dumb, feel like a failure, feel like I'm not smart enough anymore, I can't keep up with the deadlines and i'm struggling a lot. I don't know what to do to help me improve my grades and my mind mentally.

Could anyone please give me advice.

Scroll to see replies

Anon,

If you look back in your post, you will read so much negative thinking.

The more you criticise yourself and keep telling yourself negative things, the more you will believe them and the worse you will feel : (

You need to assess the situation calmly and clearly.

1) You made it on to the course (so you are clever enough)
2) You have completed two years of university (you have perseverance)
3) You have the motivation to do well (which is why you feel so frustrated)

At present, it sounds like you feel overwhelmed with all the deadlines: that's normal.

Deadlines are stressful and I am sure there are other students on your course who feel the same.

It might be an idea to reach out to other people on your course to see how they are feeling and coping.

Arrange to talk to your tutor. They are there to support you.

Don't be discouraged by your lecturer: let their expectations be the fuel to do better than they expect.

If you do get a 2:2 you will have tried your best and that is always good enough!
If you do even better, then you will have tried your best and that is always good enough!

Your worth is so much more than a degree grade!!!

You have made it this far. Keep on, keeping on, but do take time to rest where you need to!

Take time to step back from your work so you can clear your mind and come back to your work feeling refreshed.

Make sure you take a break during the holidays,

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Don't have much else to say apart from I am in the exact same position. I need a sit down lol
Hey, how are you? I hope you are doing well! Would you like to talk on message? I can message you

Original post by mattmjs
Don't have much else to say apart from I am in the exact same position. I need a sit down lol
God if this isn't me right now. I feel exactly how you're feeling.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm finding 3rd year of university so hard, I'm studying biochemistry (at surrey) and I'm in 3rd year. I feel like I'm running out of time and i'm not getting the grades I want and it upsets me a lot. I feel like a failure and I feel so dumb. My friend was giving me advice saying that I might not compatible for this degree anymore in terms of grades and mentally. And I felt so dumb, like as if i'm not mentally strong enough for this degree anymore and like I can't do it. And there's so many deadlines upon deadlines upon deadlines. There's so many in 1 go. I feel like I can't keep up with the pace of this degree like I'm so behind in all lectures. And even in semester 1 my lecturer sat me down to say that from this uni you will walk out with a 2:2 and not 2:1 and this upset me a lot.

I don't know what to do, I just feel so dumb, feel like a failure, feel like I'm not smart enough anymore, I can't keep up with the deadlines and i'm struggling a lot. I don't know what to do to help me improve my grades and my mind mentally.

im really sorry to hear that. maybe sit down with your tutor and have a discussion about where you may be going wrong or things you could try and improve? you've got this, biochem is a tough degree.
Heyy, I feel hr exact same way and it's taking a toll on me to the point where my own friends and family and people have started saying to me that I've lost so much weight and i don't look good at all

Original post by pasqualito
God if this isn't me right now. I feel exactly how you're feeling.
Heya, yes that's true but my tutor is useless and doesn't really help

Original post by aliaa03
im really sorry to hear that. maybe sit down with your tutor and have a discussion about where you may be going wrong or things you could try and improve? you've got this, biochem is a tough degree.
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you're struggling so much at the moment, I know there are a lot of deadlines at the moment especially with dissertation etc, so it can feel very stressful.

I see you mention that your tutor is not very helpful, it may be worth contacting Dr Trinder, the programme lead, and seeing if there is any academic support that she can arrange. Additionally, the library has lot of academic support, which you can view here, including drop-ins and learning development.

It may also be useful to get in contact with the Centre for Wellbeing, who can support students like yourself suffering from burnout or mental health issues, such as helping you plan your time efficiently and if needed, supporting you with exams.
I think it's important to mention that you are not alone - everyone in final year (myself included!) is feeling the strain right now, there are loads of deadlines, but the Easter break starts next week and this should hopefully give you a break to catch up on coursework and lectures, and most importantly to rest and relax, and spend time with friends and family.

I'm not sure that the advice from your friend is very constructive - you have made it through 2.5 years of a degree so clearly you are good enough to do this degree, and there are only 2 months left until you are officially a University graduate - you have made it so far, don't give up now!

Although I'm sure your lecturer thought they were helping you be realistic about the grades you would achieve, it doesn't have to be the case. A 2:2 is an excellent grade and you should be very happy if you receive that. However, if you would like a 2:1, you can achieve this, especially if you access the support I mention above, as it is more important to look after your mental health than focus on achieving a certain grade.

I really hope you manage to get some rest over Easter, and like I said, you are in the same boat as everyone else - maybe let your friends know how you are feeling so they can support you.

Good luck!
- Michelle
3rd year Biomedical Science student

Hello,

I’m so sorry you’re struggling so much. I feel that all third year students hit this phase and tbh it’s so overwhelming, I do genuinely understand.

But it’s okay, you’ve lasted this long you’ve just got to push through now. I know it’s hard but, maybe you should consider asking if you can get any extensions on any assignments just to give you a bit of extra time to wrap your head around it. Perhaps consider asking for any academic support from members of your academic team or librarians - that might be beneficial.

In terms of your mental health, take self care days doing things that you enjoy. I find that going to the gym or taking a brief walk helps to clear my head. Small things like putting on a face mask or cooking myself my favourite meal, or just a whole day doing nothing just relaxing. If you feel this wouldn’t help, I’d also recommend speaking to your university about any services they offer to current students.

I hope this helps and I genuinely hope things get better for you. Don’t give up!

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi there,

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. I think that alot of people find their 3rd Year of Uni hard because for most it is the last year of university before everything changes which can prove really difficult.
In terms of not being good enough for the course, you made it onto the course so you met their requirements! They don't allow people onto courses who don't meet the requirements for a reason, because they may find it too difficult or be unable to keep up.
You have also made it to your 3rd year, meaning you must have been okay in 1st and 2nd year to keep going through.
I know I feel behind on lectures and I think everyone does especially at the moment with exam season looming and deadlines rapidly approaching.
I think it is best to seek advice from your personal tutor or someone at the uni that you trust to see what they think. You may also find that there are study skills workshops provided by the university who can help with time management etc.

I really hope this helps, and good luck,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Hi Anonymous,

Just checking in - how are you feeling now? Have things improved at all? I hope you're managing to take a bit of time off over the holidays!

- Michelle :smile:
3rd year Biomedical Science student at University of Surrey

Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

It sounds like you're going through a very challenging time. It's important to remember that feeling overwhelmed and struggling with your studies is a common experience for many students, especially in demanding subjects like biochemistry. Here are some suggestions on what you can do:

Seek academic support: Consider reaching out to your professors, teaching assistants, or academic advisors. They may be able to offer you additional resources and support to help you succeed in your courses.

Get organized: Break down your workload into manageable chunks and create a study schedule that includes dedicated time for each course. This can help you stay on top of your assignments and deadlines.

Prioritize self-care: Make sure you're taking care of your physical and mental health. Eat well, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and practice stress-reducing activities such as meditation or yoga.

Connect with others: Reach out to friends, family, or support groups to talk about how you're feeling. Sometimes just talking through your concerns can be helpful in alleviating anxiety.

Reflect on your goals: Remember why you chose to study biochemistry in the first place and what you hope to achieve with your degree. Revisiting your long-term goals can help you stay motivated and focused on your studies.

Finally, don't give up on yourself. Struggling with your studies is a temporary setback and does not define your worth or potential. Take things one step at a time, and remember that with persistence and dedication, you can overcome these challenges and achieve your academic and personal goals.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University
Hi Oluwatosin,

I hope you're doing well! Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Yes you're right, I feel extremely overwhelmed with the workload and the deadlines are very tight. Reading back what I wrote, I know I sounded and looked super negative. But in that moment, I was really upset but I never meant come to across negative. I don't have anyone to speak to this about, everyone is busy doing their own thing. So I was freaking out a lot. So that's why I made this post here so I can talk to other people here ad see if they are going through the same thing. I'll email my tutor and speak to him about all this.

I am upset because I didn't pass 2nd year (i got 43%) and didn't get 60% or above - I failed 2 modules in 2nd year and so for one of the modules the uni has given me credits for and for the other module I'll be resitting that exam this semester 2. Already in 3rd year, the grade boundaries are so difficult, I had a look and it's so difficult to even get a pass.

But thank you for this, your message made me feel better :smile:

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you're struggling so much at the moment, I know there are a lot of deadlines at the moment especially with dissertation etc, so it can feel very stressful.

I see you mention that your tutor is not very helpful, it may be worth contacting Dr Trinder, the programme lead, and seeing if there is any academic support that she can arrange. Additionally, the library has lot of academic support, which you can view here, including drop-ins and learning development.

It may also be useful to get in contact with the Centre for Wellbeing, who can support students like yourself suffering from burnout or mental health issues, such as helping you plan your time efficiently and if needed, supporting you with exams.
I think it's important to mention that you are not alone - everyone in final year (myself included!) is feeling the strain right now, there are loads of deadlines, but the Easter break starts next week and this should hopefully give you a break to catch up on coursework and lectures, and most importantly to rest and relax, and spend time with friends and family.

I'm not sure that the advice from your friend is very constructive - you have made it through 2.5 years of a degree so clearly you are good enough to do this degree, and there are only 2 months left until you are officially a University graduate - you have made it so far, don't give up now!

Although I'm sure your lecturer thought they were helping you be realistic about the grades you would achieve, it doesn't have to be the case. A 2:2 is an excellent grade and you should be very happy if you receive that. However, if you would like a 2:1, you can achieve this, especially if you access the support I mention above, as it is more important to look after your mental health than focus on achieving a certain grade.

I really hope you manage to get some rest over Easter, and like I said, you are in the same boat as everyone else - maybe let your friends know how you are feeling so they can support you.

Good luck!
- Michelle
3rd year Biomedical Science student

Hi Michelle,

I'm extremely sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I hope you are doing well and enjoyed your Easter break :smile: I will email Dr Trinder. I haven't been able to start my other coursework and my dissertation yet. I am really worried, like right now I'm extremely behind on my neuroscience lectures and I have neuroscience coursework due in on 25th and i'm so scared for it as it's 100% coursework. I feel like i'm going to do really badly in it. I won't be graduating this year, I had 2 exams for semester 1 and I took an EC for it and I'll be doing it in August.

Yes he was being realistic, he wasn't trying to put me down or make me feel low but yes he did say that most likely I will walk out with a 2:2 and it did upset me.

All easter I've been doing neuroscience lectures and coursework and trying to understand the paper for it.

Thank you for this :smile: I really appreciate it
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

I’m so sorry you’re struggling so much. I feel that all third year students hit this phase and tbh it’s so overwhelming, I do genuinely understand.

But it’s okay, you’ve lasted this long you’ve just got to push through now. I know it’s hard but, maybe you should consider asking if you can get any extensions on any assignments just to give you a bit of extra time to wrap your head around it. Perhaps consider asking for any academic support from members of your academic team or librarians - that might be beneficial.

In terms of your mental health, take self care days doing things that you enjoy. I find that going to the gym or taking a brief walk helps to clear my head. Small things like putting on a face mask or cooking myself my favourite meal, or just a whole day doing nothing just relaxing. If you feel this wouldn’t help, I’d also recommend speaking to your university about any services they offer to current students.

I hope this helps and I genuinely hope things get better for you. Don’t give up!

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi Jade,

I hope you are doing well and enjoyed your Easter break! I was thinking of applying for extensions to help but then I feel the amount of extra time they give it still wouldn't be enough and I feel would need more time than they give - i'm still thinking whats the best option to do. I am scared to get bad grades on my coursework and there is one submission coming very soon and i'm very worried about it as its 100% coursework.

Thank you so much for this!!! I feel better after reading this :smile:
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. I think that alot of people find their 3rd Year of Uni hard because for most it is the last year of university before everything changes which can prove really difficult.
In terms of not being good enough for the course, you made it onto the course so you met their requirements! They don't allow people onto courses who don't meet the requirements for a reason, because they may find it too difficult or be unable to keep up.
You have also made it to your 3rd year, meaning you must have been okay in 1st and 2nd year to keep going through.
I know I feel behind on lectures and I think everyone does especially at the moment with exam season looming and deadlines rapidly approaching.
I think it is best to seek advice from your personal tutor or someone at the uni that you trust to see what they think. You may also find that there are study skills workshops provided by the university who can help with time management etc.

I really hope this helps, and good luck,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Hi Ellen,

I hope you are doing and enjoyed your Easter break :smile:

In first year I did okay, but I didn't do well in 2nd year. I didn't pass 2nd year i got 43% and I failed 2 modules. So the uni has given me credits for 1 of the modules but then I am going to be doing the other module and resitting that exam this semester 2 - they said for me to get 2:1 I would need to get 70% and above in everything this year to get this and I feel to get 70 and above in everything is impossible and I haven't got 70 and above in everything this year so far. I think this is what is making it difficult too. Yes im going to be emailing my tutor and the head of the programme and will look into the workshops. Thank you for this :smile:
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi Anonymous,

Just checking in - how are you feeling now? Have things improved at all? I hope you're managing to take a bit of time off over the holidays!

- Michelle :smile:
3rd year Biomedical Science student at University of Surrey

Hi Michelle,

I'm very sorry for replying late, I still feel the same (I'm trying my best to keep positive). How are you feeling? I hope you enjoyed your break :smile:

I didn't take any time off during Easter, I was doing uni work all Easter especially focusing on neuroscience. I do feel overwhelmed about all the work. Right now I'm trying to do neuroscience coursework which is 100% cw but I'm really worried about it as i'm behind on the lectures and the critical analysis of the paper and trying to understand it. I still haven't started my dissertation and my other coursework and catching up with other module lectures.

I'm going to email Dr Trinder, have a look at centre of wellbeing and look into the workshops and see what they do.

Thank you for checking in with me :smile:
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

It sounds like you're going through a very challenging time. It's important to remember that feeling overwhelmed and struggling with your studies is a common experience for many students, especially in demanding subjects like biochemistry. Here are some suggestions on what you can do:

Seek academic support: Consider reaching out to your professors, teaching assistants, or academic advisors. They may be able to offer you additional resources and support to help you succeed in your courses.

Get organized: Break down your workload into manageable chunks and create a study schedule that includes dedicated time for each course. This can help you stay on top of your assignments and deadlines.

Prioritize self-care: Make sure you're taking care of your physical and mental health. Eat well, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and practice stress-reducing activities such as meditation or yoga.

Connect with others: Reach out to friends, family, or support groups to talk about how you're feeling. Sometimes just talking through your concerns can be helpful in alleviating anxiety.

Reflect on your goals: Remember why you chose to study biochemistry in the first place and what you hope to achieve with your degree. Revisiting your long-term goals can help you stay motivated and focused on your studies.

Finally, don't give up on yourself. Struggling with your studies is a temporary setback and does not define your worth or potential. Take things one step at a time, and remember that with persistence and dedication, you can overcome these challenges and achieve your academic and personal goals.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University

Hi Megha,

I hope you are doing well and enjoyed your break! Thank you for this and the advice :smile: you gave it made me feel better
You can still do a lot with a 2.2 in Biochemistry.

Were there any aspect of the degree you find easier than the others? Perhaps u can specialise in that after undergrad. If not a 2.2 in a hard subject like Biochem is still a great a achievement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending